Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't you have to get behind them?

Hybrid View

Deity

Don't you have to get behind them?

Well there have been numerous changes for sure but all seem to be positive moves hopefully leading to the same goal. Sounds to me like there have been numerous good character signings. That works for me. I'll get to know them I think. We all might be surprised.

It's hard to know, for sure, how much we got better, and better than worst can still be pretty bad, but I like what we have, this year.

I don't think we are a top contender, but I think we are good enough to make the last WC slot and have enough potential to put it all together and surprise people.

2013-like surprise? Doubtful, but who knows?

GO Sox!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's hard to know, for sure, how much we got better, and better than worst can still be pretty bad, but I like what we have, this year.

I don't think we are a top contender, but I think we are good enough to make the last WC slot and have enough potential to put it all together and surprise people.

GO Sox!
    Question for you Moon...

Keep in mind Xander and Devers are two of my favorites...and let's assume majority of players are good character guys just so that's not a determining factor.

I get the sense Bloom is no nonsense type of a guy. That is he'll always do what's best for the organization.

Can you see a scenario where our left side of infield simply is not good enough defensively and Bloom will agree with that assessment?

If Dalbec can hit, I can like him just as well as Devers. My sense is Dalbe will always be a better defensive 3B than Devers. If Dalbec establishes himself offensively, should we trade Devers while his value is high? And also not get too depressed if Xander opts out after great offensive season? We can always find a defensive shortstop, no?

We also agree that we can always find a 1B if Dalbec vacates.

I'm looking forward to 2021 because there are millions of questions with this team. Time to sort things out.
    Last edited by Nick; 02-24-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Question for you Moon...

Keep in mind Xander and Devers are two of my favorites...and let's assume majority of players are good character guys just so that's not a determining factor.

I get the sense Bloom is no nonsense type of a guy. That is he'll always do what's best for the organization.

Can you see a scenario where our left side of infield simply is not good enough defensively and Bloom will agree with that assessment?

If Dalbec can hit, I can like him just as well as Devers. My sense is Dalbe will always be a better defensive 3B than Devers. If Dalbec establishes himself offensively, should we trade Devers while his value is high? And also not get too depressed if Xander opts out after great offensive season? We can always find a defensive shortstop, no?

We always agree that we can always find a 1B if Dalbec vacates.

I'm looking forward to 2021 because there are millions of questions with this team. Time to sort things out.
    I'm a huge fan of defense, especially at SS, but Bogey is such a great hitter, I'm fine with him staying there.

Devers is probably my favorite player, now that JBJ is gone. I'm always open to trading anyone, if the return is right, but Devers is about last on my trade list.

I still think he has shown signs he can be a plus on defense, but if he is sketchy, this year, and Dalbec does well, I could see just flipping them, but I'm basing that on the belief that Dalbec is a plus defender at 3B. I don't know that, for sure.

This season has a lot if intrigue.

Devers is probably my favorite player, now that JBJ is gone. I'm always open to trading anyone, if the return is right, but Devers is about last on my trade list.
    That's not great news for Devers LOL

(Sorry man, I hope you don't mind me giving you a little heat about the 'favorite player' thing. It's all in jest.)
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's not great news for Devers LOL

(Sorry man, I hope you don't mind me giving you a little heat about the 'favorite player' thing. It's all in jest.)
    JBJ did very well for us. It's not like I jinxed him.

I'd love to have him back- just not at the money I felt he'd make.

I'm a huge fan of defense, especially at SS, but Bogey is such a great hitter, I'm fine with him staying there.

I still think he has shown signs he can be a plus on defense, but if he is sketchy, this year, and Dalbec does well, I could see just flipping them, but I'm basing that on the belief that Dalbec is a plus defender at 3B. I don't know that, for sure.

This season has a lot if intrigue.
    My three favorite players were Mookie Betts, John Wall and Antonio Brown. None of them play for my favorite team anymore and all got traded. I still like all three of those guys but I have decided to no longer have a favorite player after that happened lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    My three favorite players were Mookie Betts, John Wall and Antonio Brown. None of them play for my favorite team anymore and all got traded. I still like all three of those guys but I have decided to no longer have a favorite player after that happened lol.
    I'm kinda feeling that way, too.

I really like Devers, a lot, but I'm not sure anyone is my favorite player, anymore.

I grew to love baseball when the Seattle pilots moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers. I lived almost in the shadow of old County Stadium and remember going to Brewer games at a dollar a bleacher ticket.

Tommy Harper quickly became my favorite player as he became one of the first 30-30 players in MLB with me watching & cheering.

My family moved to Portland,Maine, and my first real friend was a huge Sox fan, so when Tommy was traded to the Sox, shortly after our move, I decided to switch to being a Sox fan. (I'm still aPacker and Bucks fan.) I've never looked back.

I'm not sure I had one favorite player after Harper retired. There were so many players I loved- Lynn, Tiant, Burleson, Aparichio, Lee, Rice, Evans, Rico & Fisk were but a few, and the team's management bungled and traded most away. There were some tough times for many young Sox fans, in those days.

I've always loved defense, especially at SS and CF, and when JBJ came into the Sox system, I was excited. Maybe I fell for the hype, but the guy was magical on defense. What was not to love? (Oh yeah, he sucked on O out of the gate.)

He slumped a lot and had some red hot streaks, and I found myself defending him against a lot of attacks- maybe as much or more than anybody. I've caught some flack for pointing out his drop off on defense, and maybe I have overblown the drop. I still really respect JBJ and would love him to be in our CF for 2021 and maybe even 2022, but I thought he'd cost way too much.

Perhaps, he will become affordable and I can squeeze a year or two more years out of him as my fave.

I don't usually pick the best player as my fave. The Bucks won a ring while I was in Milwaukee, but Lew Alcindor (Jabbar) was not my favorite player, now was the big O or Lucius Allen. It was Bobby Dandridge.

My favorite Packer player was not Bart Star or Ray Nitschke, but Lionel Aldridge and later, MacArther Lane.

GO Sox!
    This

Until the season gets going, we are a question mark

I will say this, I think we have enough players to make us a very good offensive team. Wil we be as good as last year when we had the number 3 offense. Maybe not, but I do think we will be good. It’s the pitching that is the huge question mark! As good as the bats were last year it couldn’t over come the pitching we had. That is key.

None the less, go Sox!!

Kiké is supposed to be a great guy to root for. We’ll see.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Personally, I'm rooting for E-Rod to truly have overcome coronavirus and continue his quest for a 20 win season.

Am I correct that Jackie Bradley Jr. and Jake Odorizzi are still unemployed? I have to wonder if they will take low money just to stay working...

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Am I correct that Jackie Bradley Jr. and Jake Odorizzi are still unemployed? I have to wonder if they will take low money just to stay working...
    I think they'll both sign soon. Obviously not getting what they'd hoped, though.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think they'll both sign soon. Obviously not getting what they'd hoped, though.
    And the teams that sign them won't be getting the bargains they had hoped. The parties will probably meet somewhere in the middle.

The demand for starting pitching certainly has not diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    And the teams that sign them won't be getting the bargains they had hoped.
    Or maybe they will. Some free agent signings do end up as bargains.