Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBJ to Brewers

JBJ to Brewers

2 yrs $24 mil
    Hal sucks

MLBTR predicted 2 yrs $16 mil. So it's 50% more money. I think he did well in this market.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

It's only $1M less than what the Sox paid for Kiké, Renfroe and Marwin combined. Sox were better suited to buy in bulk and improve the bottom part of their roster.

I'm surprised he got a deal that high considering how long it took to get him signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I'm really happy for him
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm really happy for him
    Me, too.

Years ago, when lived in Milwaukee, my favorite player, Tommy Harper, was traded to the Sox, and I became a Sox fan.

Now, my favorite player for the last few years, JBJ, has been traded to the Brewers.

No, I won't switch back.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    MLBTR predicted 2 yrs $16 mil. So it's 50% more money. I think he did well in this market.
    Overpriced
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Betts: worth the $$$
    JBJ: not worth the $$$
    Beni: not a good fit in BOS

I only regret losing Betts.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Overpriced
    For perspective: Jackie Bradley, Gold Glover, ALCS MVP, World Champion -- signs for $24 million; it was over ten years ago the Red Sox signed Carl Crawford... for $142 million.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    For perspective: Jackie Bradley, Gold Glover, ALCS MVP, World Champion -- signs for $24 million; it was over ten years ago the Red Sox signed Carl Crawford... for $142 million.
    On paper Crawford was a budding superstar. His last year with the Rays he hit .307 with 19 HR and 90 RBI, and 47 steals. Gold Glove. 7th in MVP voting. 35.6 WAR in his career with the Rays. And he was only 29.

Me, too.

Years ago, when lived in Milwaukee, my favorite player, Tommy Harper, was traded to the Sox, and I became a Sox fan.

Now, my favorite player for the last few years, JBJ, has been traded to the Brewers.

No, I won't switch back.
    I felt like he deserved the money. I just knew there was no way we could afford to pay him. Glad he got close to what he was asking for
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

On paper Crawford was a budding superstar. His last year with the Rays he hit .307 with 19 HR and 90 RBI, and 47 steals. Gold Glove. 7th in MVP voting. 35.6 WAR in his career with the Rays. And he was only 29.
    29 is about peak prime, so I'm not sure about the "budding" label, but he had some very fine numbers with the Rays.

I remember being very concerned about his splits, where he was .697 v LHPs before the signing.

I called him a "glorified platoon player" and predicted his contract "would drag us down for several years." Thank God, the Dodger took us off the hook for that.

Despite my hating that signing, even I was shocked just how quickly things turned south.

CC had an .810 OPS over his previous 6 seasons and .834 in his previous 2 seasons. He hit .694 in 2011 and was off to a .785 start in 2021 before being traded, and had missed the start of that season.

What a great trade that Dodger dump was!
    Sox 4 Ever

On field Crawford led the Sox in 0-2 counts and missing catches of soft liners to eliminate them from the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I felt like he deserved the money. I just knew there was no way we could afford to pay him. Glad he got close to what he was asking for
    I thought he'd get $21M/3 minimum and felt that was too much, so I have not been thinking we should sign him.

When T started hearing $12M/2, I began to think, hmm... maybe..., but at that point, signing him to even that amount would have put us over the tax line.

Thank you, JBJ! You gave us great defense and decent offense for many years. I hate to see you go, and I'm happy you got the contract you wanted.
    Sox 4 Ever

29 is about peak prime, so I'm not sure about the "budding" label, but he had some very fine numbers with the Rays.
    You're right, budding was not the right adjective. But he seemed to be on upward track, with 2010 being his best season.

You're right, budding was not the right adjective. But he seemed to be on upward track, with 2010 being his best season.
    Yes. The two year period before coming to the Sox was his best ever.
    Sox 4 Ever