Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Batting Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also more than Kevin Youkilis had prior to 2006...
    Did Youk switch during the year or over the offseason?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Did Youk switch during the year or over the offseason?
    He did play 9 games there in 2005, where he also played 2 games at 2B (but only 7 innings total) and 24 at third. Thinking mid-season change myself...

He did play 9 games there in 2005, where he also played 2 games at 2B (but only 7 innings total) and 24 at third. Thinking mid-season change myself...
    Devers hasn't played ANY games aside from 3b. In 2005, Youkilis spent time in PAWTUCKET playing 1B. Are people suggesting we sent Devers to Worcester to work out at 1B? Or do people want to make this switch at the MLB level? If Devers is going to move off position, it's not going to be in April in Boston. The change would most likely come this offseason.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Devers hasn't played ANY games aside from 3b. In 2005, Youkilis spent time in PAWTUCKET playing 1B. Are people suggesting we sent Devers to Worcester to work out at 1B? Or do people want to make this switch at the MLB level? If Devers is going to move off position, it's not going to be in April in Boston. The change would most likely come this offseason.
    It most likely would, but if they put him at 1B during the season, they wouldn't be breaking new ground. Mark Teixeira, for example, played 15 games at 3B and the Rangers just gave up on him and moved him to 1B without ever sending him down to learn the new position. They also stuck him in the OF that same year without ever sending him down, but they gave up on that, too...

Deity
    And let's get this straight - Youkilis played 16 games at 1B in Pawtucket in 2005. Plus a couple games there in Pawtucket in 2004 and 40 games in A ball at 1B. My statement was he played less games than Casas' total of 96 at 1B prior to 2006. And he did. He played 67 games at 1B prior to 2006, and they were spread out over 4 seasons in 3 different leagues and while he played a lot of other positions.

As this season was never really an attempt to make the postseason anyway, due primarily to Sale being out, the Sox actually could try to switch Devers midseason and it won't be why they miss the playoffs. But most likely, they give him one more full year to see if he can handle the hot corner before making any decisions...

Agreed, but what if Devers ends up sucking so much, he just can't be left at 3B. The choice is, assuming he's hitting well enough to be an essential part of our line-up, 1B or DH (moving JD to corner OF)

Note: I am not for moving Devers midseason and I highly doubt the Sox are even considering it.

I do think he can become a fine 1Bman in a pretty short period of time.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Agreed, but what if Devers ends up sucking so much, he just can't be left at 3B. The choice is, assuming he's hitting well enough to be an essential part of our line-up, 1B or DH (moving JD to corner OF)

Note: I am not for moving Devers midseason and I highly doubt the Sox are even considering it.

I do think he can become a fine 1Bman in a pretty short period of time.
    Zero chance he goes directly to DH, and there are far too many reasons for that to not happen.

If he continues to struggle defensively at 3B, flip him with Dalbec.

I actually it is a good idea to do this change mid-season because, once you have decided Devers cannot handle the position, it would be good to see if you actually like Dalbec there. No point in going through this whole exercise again next season, just with different names. However, just because I think it is a good idea doesn't mean I think it will happen (and really, doesn't even mean it is actually a good idea)...

Zero chance he goes directly to DH, and there are far too many reasons for that to not happen.

If he continues to struggle defensively at 3B, flip him with Dalbec.

I actually it is a good idea to do this change mid-season because, once you have decided Devers cannot handle the position, it would be good to see if you actually like Dalbec there. No point in going through this whole exercise again next season, just with different names. However, just because I think it is a good idea doesn't mean I think it will happen (and really, doesn't even mean it is actually a good idea)...
    This is kind of what I was getting at, and you put it in words very well.

I'm not expecting Dever to be that awful on defense, going forward, and Dalbec should play some at 3B when Devers is resting, but not likely enough to get a good read.

If we are out of it in July or August, then making a midseason change might make more sense.

Bill Koch
    @billkoch25
    ·
    8h
    Rafael Devers as a cartoon character would be a puppy. Sure, he'll pee on the carpet a couple of times and chew on your slippers. But the good he brings to your day far, far outweighs the minor inconveniences.

Just let him be. He's special. #RedSox

^^This.

Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Bill Koch
    @billkoch25
    ·
    8h
    Rafael Devers as a cartoon character would be a puppy. Sure, he'll pee on the carpet a couple of times and chew on your slippers. But the good he brings to your day far, far outweighs the minor inconveniences.

That's great. I love it.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Bill Koch
    @billkoch25
    ·
    8h

^^This.
    He's our Big Puppy. That jersey might outsell Kike's on Players' Nickname Weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    He's our Big Puppy. That jersey might outsell Kike's on Players' Nickname Weekend...
    !!!!
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I like it!

He made two very good defensive plays yesterday and today, to go along with his homeruns. By all accounts, he works really hard on his defense, and he gets down on himself more than anyone else does when he messes up. As Koch said, just let him be.

@SoxNotes
    Rankings among AL players at their positions:

Bogaerts
    10 HR – 1st
    30 RBI – 1st
    .345 AVG – 1st
    .402 OBP – 1st
    .602 SLG – 1st

Devers
    13 HR – 1st
    39 RBI – 1st
    27 XBH – 1st