Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 438 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    NESN discussion in the late innings of today's pivotal opposite-field hits -- OB: "Great hitting." Remdawg: "Great managing." Me: "Great batting coaching?"

Also, wondering how far Big Puppy's home run would have gone on a warm summer day... Two years I predicted that someday Rafie might actually pull one out of Fenway. My son said today he might beat the Red Seat (but I hope they don't color it yellow with blue letters). "Deverstating" is not overstating.
    A ball will never get hit past the red seat during a game because they keep moving it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

tidbits

I didn't realize double headers are 7 inning games....and we still get one extra player......

And he's Eduard Bazardo...love that we're getting to watch some youngsters....what a great name.

The Japanese reliever touched 97 today. I had heard rumors that he threw hard but I saw it on telecast. (for life of me I can't spell his name)

Great to see Dalbec go opposite way for two doubles. He must be watching JD.

Barnes only threw 14 pitches to get out of 9th. Over the years I've ragged on him for throwing 25-30 pitches.

Our #1 and #2 hitters have not been stellar...I guess it really doesn't matter where anyone hits in the order.

When did Twinkies take the top off their ballpark?

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I didn't realize double headers are 7 inning games....and we still get one extra player......
    That completely passed me by. Makes sense for this year. Hopefully we can get our runs early today/tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    A ball will never get hit past the red seat during a game because they keep moving it back.
    Is this true?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

And he's Eduard Bazardo...love that we're getting to watch some youngsters....what a great name.
    A slight disappointment it's not Eduardo, though.

When did Twinkies take the top off their ballpark?
    Yes, why did they de-dome?

I guess they thought their weather was getting better.

Nice thinking.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes, why did they de-dome?

I guess they thought their weather was getting better.

Nice thinking.
    Target Field replaced the Metrodome in 2010.

It should have. The dome looked like an awful place to play. The ceiling was the same color as a baseball, and flyballs/pop ups FREQUENTLY disappeared in it.

Also the roof of the Metrodome collapsed under the weight of Minnesota snow, also back in 2010. Fortunately it was empty at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Target Field replaced the Metrodome in 2010.

It should have. The dome looked like an awful place to play. The ceiling was the same color as a baseball, and flyballs/pop ups FREQUENTLY disappeared in it.

Also the roof of the Metrodome collapsed under the weight of Minnesota snow, also back in 2010. Fortunately it was empty at the time...
    No doubt the Metrodome had design issues. Doesn't mean they couldn't be improved on.

The Rogers Center retractable roof works pretty good.

One-sixteenth of the season already behind us, and the standings look very bright:

7-3 BOS

5-6 BAL

5-6 NYY

5-6 TBR

5-6 TOR

We're 2.5 up on everyone!

It's way early, but this was the hot start we had hoped for in a season where we knew we needed nearly everything to go right.

With 6 games in the next 5 days, will Houck be called up for a start vs the CWS?
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    No doubt the Metrodome had design issues. Doesn't mean they couldn't be improved on.

The Rogers Center retractable roof works pretty good.
    The Metrodome was pretty old and the team owners wanted to move on. New stadiums often rekindle fan interest. (Winning teams do, too, and are actually cheaper. But owners like to do the “new stadium” thing. Maybe it’s easier.) Also apparently at some point Target offered them a boatload of money for the stadium naming rights...

Deity
    Also it sure how practical renovating the Metrodome, which probably didn’t have design issues as much as age and material issues. Would there have been a sufficient window to fix everything with the Vikings playing there during the MLB off-season and probably a bunch of other events?

And then who pays? Taxpayers? They have had enough crumbling infrastructure issues in Minneapolis . The I-35 bridge collapsing in 2007. The Metrodome in 2010....

So, the dome opens in 1982 and collapses in 2010.

When funding to build the dome occurred, was it with the understanding it would be crumbling within 30 years?

Many big dome stadiums are in the same situation 25-40 years after being built, and sometimes the taxpayers are on the hook on the expenses needed to demolish them.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    So, the dome opens in 1982 and collapses in 2010.

When funding to build the dome occurred, was it with the understanding it would be crumbling within 30 years?

Many big dome stadiums are in the same situation 25-40 years after being built, and sometimes the taxpayers are on the hook on the expenses needed to demolish them.
    .. which should never happen, but isalso a road best not explored in this forum. Suffice to say the dome served it's purpose for nearly 30 years and the team moved on. This is not uncommon with professional sports teams. Shiny new stadiums are thigns the majority of them like. I guess it's just easier than putting together a good team for most of them....

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    .. which should never happen, but isalso a road best not explored in this forum. Suffice to say the dome served it's purpose for nearly 30 years and the team moved on. This is not uncommon with professional sports teams. Shiny new stadiums are thigns the majority of them like. I guess it's just easier than putting together a good team for most of them....
    I did not intend to make this political, but here in Houston, the city and county have been trying to decide what to do with the Astrodome for a long time.

The voters actually voted to tear it down, long ago, but they were ignored due to the enormous cost of demolition.
    Sox 4 Ever

I did not intend to make this political, but here in Houston, the city and county have been trying to decide what to do with the Astrodome for a long time.

The voters actually voted to tear it down, long ago, but they were ignored due to the enormous cost of demolition.
    They can't tear that down! The Bad News Bears played there!
    ( I won't say the "C word.")