Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB draft

Deity
    So in notin's mini-mock draft, the picks are

1. Pitt takes Kumar Rocker
    2. Texas takes Jack Leiter
    3. Detroit takes Jud Fabian.

Since these see to be the three names everyone would like the Sox to take, I am going to assume MLB GMs feel the same about them and they will all be off the board..

So who should Boston take?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So in notin's mini-mock draft, the picks are

1. Pitt takes Kumar Rocker
    2. Texas takes Jack Leiter
    3. Detroit takes Jud Fabian.

Since these see to be the three names everyone would like the Sox to take, I am going to assume MLB GMs feel the same about them and they will all be off the board..

So who should Boston take?
    The thing is, the top 3 picks are hardly ever the 3 names you'd expect them to be, so I'd put the odds at 100:1 one of the 3 listed will be available when the Sox pick 4th.

That being said, I'll play along.

I'd pick Jaden Hill SP LSU (6-4 215).

I'd avoid HS players, right now, as I'm thinking we want to make a strong push in 2-4 years.

According to a bunch of mock drafts, these are some names I see often:

College
    Adrian Del Castillo C Miami
    Matt McLain SS UCLA
    Kahlil Watson SS Wake Forest
    Gunner Hoglund RHP Miss
    Henry Davis C Louisville
    Sale Frelick OF BC
    Ty Madden PHP Texas
    Alez Binelas 3B Louisville

HS
    Jordan Lawler SS
    Maercelo Mayer SS
    Brady House SS/RHP

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    One guy getting underrated in all this (assuming the scouting is accurate) is Louisville catcher Henry Davis...

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The thing is, the top 3 picks are hardly ever the 3 names you'd expect them to be, so I'd put the odds at 100:1 one of the 3 listed will be available when the Sox pick 4th.

That being said, I'll play along.

I'd pick Jaden Hill SP LSU (6-4 215).

I'd avoid HS players, right now, as I'm thinking we want to make a strong push in 2-4 years.

According to a bunch of mock drafts, these are some names I see often:

College
    Adrian Del Castillo C Miami
    Matt McLain SS UCLA
    Kahlil Watson SS Wake Forest
    Gunner Hoglund RHP Miss
    Henry Davis C Louisville
    Sale Frelick OF BC
    Ty Madden PHP Texas
    Alez Binelas 3B Louisville

HS
    Jordan Lawler SS
    Maercelo Mayer SS
    Brady House SS/RHP

I like Del Castillo, sophomore catcher and clean-up batter at University of Miami, the top-ranked college team in the nation a month ago. Older brother Christian, UM outfielder, was also named ACC Player of the Week in February. Alex Cora's college...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I like Del Castillo, sophomore catcher and clean-up batter at University of Miami, the top-ranked college team in the nation a month ago. Older brother Christian, UM outfielder, was also named ACC Player of the Week in February. Alex Cora's college...
    Also Ryan Braun’s...

Catching prospects seem so hard to get right.

Deity
    Catching prospects seem so hard to get right.
    My understanding is Del Castillo is a hitter not likely to stick at catcher, but Davis is a catcher who can hit...

My understanding is Del Castillo is a hitter not likely to stick at catcher, but Davis is a catcher who can hit...
    Where's he gonna play? 1B? DH?

I've read conflicting reports, some that give Del Castillo a high rating at catcher. He did work out all winter with Sal Perez. Personally, I think a guy playing the toughest position on the diamond for a top-ranked D1 team has to be pretty good. But good point about catching prospects and taking time to develop -- reminds us of Varitek, who wasn't a full-time starter in the bigs until age 27. O's took Rutschman #1 overall and obviously Covid has stalled his progress, but he's already 23 (only six months younger than Devers, who won't be shifting to C).

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I've read conflicting reports, some that give Del Castillo a high rating at catcher. He did work out all winter with Sal Perez. Personally, I think a guy playing the toughest position on the diamond for a top-ranked D1 team has to be pretty good. But good point about catching prospects and taking time to develop -- reminds us of Varitek, who wasn't a full-time starter in the bigs until age 27. O's took Rutschman #1 overall and obviously Covid has stalled his progress, but he's already 23 (only six months younger than Devers, who won't be shifting to C).
    2018 first rounder Joey Bart did debut last season...

Deity
    Where's he gonna play? 1B? DH?
    Probably 1b, but drafting based on position is not something any team should do, with the possible exception of catcher.

By the time they reach the majors, many, many players will be in a different position from the one they played when drafted. But very few seem to move into catcher. It does happen, With former VCU shortstop Brandon Inge being one example, but it’s rare.

Not sure when Realmuto went from SS to catcher; he was told to switch by a Marlins’ scout but it might have been prior to being drafted...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Also, aluminum bats now go for $400+. The cost savings just really isn't there anymore.
    A good maple bat costs $100 and college hitters will definitely break more than 4 per season. At my school, we bought 4 metal bats per season prior to switching to wood. We bought 30 wood bats when we first started and needed a new shipment within a week
    Hal sucks

Probably 1b, but drafting based on position is not something any team should do, with the possible exception of catcher.

By the time they reach the majors, many, many players will be in a different position from the one they played when drafted. But very few seem to move into catcher. It does happen, With former VCU shortstop Brandon Inge being one example, but it’s rare.

Not sure when Realmuto went from SS to catcher; he was told to switch by a Marlins’ scout but it might have been prior to being drafted...
    No, you shouldn't draft by position, but the player's defense (and athleticism) is part of the package being evaluated, unless you are a pitcher.

Big lug players, not that Del Castillo is, have to be thought of as future 1Bmen or DHs, which are positions of diminished value, since they are easier to find or acquire.

If this kid can catch, it helps his value immensely.

Deity
    No, you shouldn't draft by position, but the player's defense (and athleticism) is part of the package being evaluated, unless you are a pitcher.

Big lug players, not that Del Castillo is, have to be thought of as future 1Bmen or DHs, which are positions of diminished value, since they are easier to find or acquire.

If this kid can catch, it helps his value immensely.
    A first baseman in many cases has to be an absolute monster to get drafted high. Since that position in often filled at the MLB level by catchers or third basemen who can hit but do not field adequately...

( I won't say the "C word.")