Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB draft

2021 MLB draft

Figured I’d start this early. With the Sox picking at 4, you’ve got a chance at a top end talent. Looks like Leiter and Rocker will be off the board. They’re both so damn dynamic. Both of them have ERA’s under 0.5
    Hal sucks

The other top prospects according to MLB:

2. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Dallas Jesuit HS (TX)
    The most commonly used comparison with Lawlar is to Bobby Witt Jr., a fellow Texan who was drafted second by the Royals in 2019. As with Witt, Lawler's upside should obscure his relative seniority (he'll turn 19 before the draft). He has the requisite hands, arm strength, and footwork to remain at the shortstop position for the long haul. At the plate, he marries a quick bat with a frame that bodes well for future plus power. Lawlar's boosters believe he could possess five tools that grade as above-average or better at his peak, making him a regular (and plausible All-Star) at a premium position. It's a strong year for high-school shortstops, and Lawlar currently looks like the best of the bunch.

3. Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
    The most curious aspect of Fabian's game is that he bats righty and throws left; he's a "wrong-way guy" in scouting parlance. Whether it's a coincidence borne from a small sample, or a product of a deemphasized dominant hand, history hasn't been kind to the profile. Rickey Henderson was one; Ryan Ludwick and Cody Ross were, too. After them, you have to stretch to find a recent, decent career from a wrong-way outfielder -- and that's the replacement-level brigade of Guillermo Heredia, Collin Cowgill, and Joey Rickard. Rest assured, Fabian seems likelier to join Ludwick and Ross' tier. His relative youth (20 until September) and his track record of hitting the ball hard against SEC-quality competition should endear him to model-guided teams. Fabian has whiffed in more than a quarter of his trips to the plate (including a stint in the Cape Cod League), though some scouts believe he'll get the strikeouts under control as he slows down the game. He'll likely begin his pro career playing center field, but his lack of plus foot speed could force him into a corner before long. The most probable outcome, then, has Fabian turn into a solid regular whose power represents his only plus tool.

Maybe Jaden Hill shows enough to be taken at 4? If it wasn't for Leiter/Rocker, he'd be the consensus best pitcher in the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The other top prospects according to MLB:

2. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Dallas Jesuit HS (TX)
    The most commonly used comparison with Lawlar is to Bobby Witt Jr., a fellow Texan who was drafted second by the Royals in 2019. As with Witt, Lawler's upside should obscure his relative seniority (he'll turn 19 before the draft). He has the requisite hands, arm strength, and footwork to remain at the shortstop position for the long haul. At the plate, he marries a quick bat with a frame that bodes well for future plus power. Lawlar's boosters believe he could possess five tools that grade as above-average or better at his peak, making him a regular (and plausible All-Star) at a premium position. It's a strong year for high-school shortstops, and Lawlar currently looks like the best of the bunch.

3. Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
    The most curious aspect of Fabian's game is that he bats righty and throws left; he's a "wrong-way guy" in scouting parlance. Whether it's a coincidence borne from a small sample, or a product of a deemphasized dominant hand, history hasn't been kind to the profile. Rickey Henderson was one; Ryan Ludwick and Cody Ross were, too. After them, you have to stretch to find a recent, decent career from a wrong-way outfielder -- and that's the replacement-level brigade of Guillermo Heredia, Collin Cowgill, and Joey Rickard. Rest assured, Fabian seems likelier to join Ludwick and Ross' tier. His relative youth (20 until September) and his track record of hitting the ball hard against SEC-quality competition should endear him to model-guided teams. Fabian has whiffed in more than a quarter of his trips to the plate (including a stint in the Cape Cod League), though some scouts believe he'll get the strikeouts under control as he slows down the game. He'll likely begin his pro career playing center field, but his lack of plus foot speed could force him into a corner before long. The most probable outcome, then, has Fabian turn into a solid regular whose power represents his only plus tool.

Maybe Jaden Hill shows enough to be taken at 4? If it wasn't for Leiter/Rocker, he'd be the consensus best pitcher in the draft.
    Apparently multiple sites have Ty Madden (Texas) ahead of Hill....

Me want pitcher!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Me want pitcher!
    I just want Chaim to take the best available. If that's a HS SS, so be it.

Deity
    I just want Chaim to take the best available. If that's a HS SS, so be it.
    I’d like a pitcher for obvious reasons, but Bloom has rapidly earned some trust. His “reach” to grab Nick Yorke is already getting positive reviews...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’d like a pitcher for obvious reasons, but Bloom has rapidly earned some trust. His “reach” to grab Nick Yorke is already getting positive reviews...
    The crazy thing about the MLB draft is that there is no possible way to see if the talent will hold up against professional competition. Nothing simulates it. The Cape Cod league, maybe, but that's an intro to wood bat for the hitters and typically turns into a pitcher's league. It is crazy stupid that D1 baseball isn't using wood (I get the costs, but we made the move in our D2 league back in 03). If D1 made the move, then you could actually see what these hitters are made of. I am also not a big fan of grabbing toolsy guys whose bats are behind the rest of their package. The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball, and if their hitting skill is behind, then they arent likely to catch up. Yorke very well may end up being good, but with his lack of competition and his inclusion only at the alternate site, you are getting spin from the sox, as they're the only ones who have seen him. I am seeing the same drivel from the Yanks on Austin Wells. He's so advanced, great hitter, strong as an ox, looks like he can stay behind the dish. Blah, blah blah. No scouts have seen him and he hasnt been playing against pro competition. I will believe it when I see it
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The crazy thing about the MLB draft is that there is no possible way to see if the talent will hold up against professional competition. Nothing simulates it. The Cape Cod league, maybe, but that's an intro to wood bat for the hitters and typically turns into a pitcher's league. It is crazy stupid that D1 baseball isn't using wood (I get the costs, but we made the move in our D2 league back in 03). If D1 made the move, then you could actually see what these hitters are made of. I am also not a big fan of grabbing toolsy guys whose bats are behind the rest of their package. The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball, and if their hitting skill is behind, then they arent likely to catch up. Yorke very well may end up being good, but with his lack of competition and his inclusion only at the alternate site, you are getting spin from the sox, as they're the only ones who have seen him. I am seeing the same drivel from the Yanks on Austin Wells. He's so advanced, great hitter, strong as an ox, looks like he can stay behind the dish. Blah, blah blah. No scouts have seen him and he hasnt been playing against pro competition. I will believe it when I see it
    With how much money the D1 schools have, switching to wood bats would be a drop in the bucket.

Also, aluminum bats now go for $400+. The cost savings just really isn't there anymore.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/st...15707427000322

Pitching ninja on Jaden Hill's changeup.

Deity
    Also, aluminum bats now go for $400+. The cost savings just really isn't there anymore.
    They probably should switch just for the safety factor. As long as they do not go to the fragile maple bats, which are incredibly dangerous...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They probably should switch just for the safety factor. As long as they do not go to the fragile maple bats, which are incredibly dangerous...
    I agree with that 100%.

If I'm the Sox picking #4 -- assuming the two Vandy aces are off the board -- I'm leaning towards Jud Fabian from U of Florida. Fabian is hitting home runs and robbing home runs in Division I... further along in development and closer to the majors than maybe a high school shortstop, which may be attractive to a rebuilding team in need of top outfield talent.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    If I'm the Sox picking #4 -- assuming the two Vandy aces are off the board -- I'm leaning towards Jud Fabian from U of Florida. Fabian is hitting home runs and robbing home runs in Division I... further along in development and closer to the majors than maybe a high school shortstop, which may be attractive to a rebuilding team in need of top outfield talent.
    And from the same school that gave us Brian Johnson!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    MLB.com does have the Sox taking Fabian, but passing on Leiter. (This is from December with no updates.)
    Propectlive.com has the Sox taking high school SS Marcelo Mayer in the March update.
    Fueledbysports.com has the Sox taking UCLA shortstop Matt McLain. He is the first position player taken in their draft.
    MyMLBdraft.com has the Sox taking McLain, Their draft strongly parallels fueledbysports (and might be the same; I am not verifying.)
    MVPsportstalk.com has the Sox taking Jack Leiter.