Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB Moves All Star Game Out of Georgia

MLB Moves All Star Game Out of Georgia

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Without getting political, can somebody fill me in on this law? I can't seem to find anything concrete on the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Without getting political, can somebody fill me in on this law? I can't seem to find anything concrete on the Internet
    I think this is the only non-biased article on the internet
    https://www.gpb.org/news/2021/03/27/...-law-sb-202-do

Baseball getting political. That's distressing.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

A very sad and dangerous situation when the highest ranking U.S. politicians pressure athletes and Georgia based companies to force this situation that actually financially hurts the people of the state they claim to be standing up for.

Are those same highest ranking politicians going to force a move of the Olympics from Beijing? I don't think we need to review the human rights abuses there?

Will Coke, Delta, and Home Depot be pressured to stay away from the Olympics if it us held in Beijing?
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    A very sad and dangerous situation when the highest ranking U.S. politicians pressure athletes and Georgia based companies to force this situation that actually financially hurts the people of the state they claim to be standing up for.

Are those same highest ranking politicians going to force a move of the Olympics from Beijing? I don't think we need to review the human rights abuses there?

Will Coke, Delta, and Home Depot be pressured to stay away from the Olympics if it us held in Beijing?
    Let's not move the All Star game to Texas, they still have the death penalty.

Deity

Yes let’s pretend this is all brand new stuff and the Super Bowl was once never moved out of Arizona because they didn’t celebrate Martin Luther King Day.

https://theundefeated.com/features/w...r-king-jr-day/

Very fair questions.

But we're all in danger of falling into the hole of an acrimonious political discussion here.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yes let’s pretend this is all brand new stuff and the Super Bowl was once never moved out of Arizona because they didn’t celebrate Martin Luther King Day.

https://theundefeated.com/features/w...r-king-jr-day/
    Are you suggesting that these two events are in any way related?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Very fair questions.

But we're all in danger of falling into the hole of an acrimonious political discussion here.

You are absolutely right but on the other hand it is likely that these types of discussions aren't going to be avoided anywhere.

Deity
    The Georgia state legislature (and governor) are hilarious. Their election officials were responsible for counting the votes for the 2020 election, and, despite immense pressure from then President Trump, did in fact deliver a fair and accurate vote count.

Indeed, all our election officials are to be commended for doing their jobs well in a very difficult environment. Our national shame, culminating in the attack on our Capitol building, is the very public and virulent denial, led by then President Trump and endorsed by way too many US Senators, House Members, and state legislatures and governors, of the 2020 results.

The real problem, Georgia Republicans discovered, was exactly the same problem the Emperor (in the movie Amadeus) found with Mozart's first concert/opera: "too many notes," which in 2020 (and Jan 2021) became "too many votes." This time around Stacey Abrams was the composer/instigator.

I consider their new "Election Integrity" law to have little to do with election integrity--but don't think it is insurmountable. Time will tell, and the 2022 US House and Senate campaigns are barely a year away.

Meanwhile, the MLB decision seems to be an over-reaction, except that this All-Star Game was intended especially to honor Hank Aaron, who actually grew up in the Jim Crow era and as late as the 1975 and 1976 seasons was receiving racial threats when he made a run on Ruth's home run record (and surpassed it). Ironically, I believe the good citizens of Atlanta helped elect Biden and later those two Democratic US Senators 2+ months ago.

As Sox75 asked, who really gets hurt by this?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

#BringASGtoFenway2021
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    As Sox75 asked, who really gets hurt by this?
    It is a reaction. In the meantime, I'll continue to try to do anything without some from of proper identification. lol

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Baseball getting political. That's distressing.
    Corporations have always been "political."

Baseball has been "political" in many ways, before- like being very slow to integrate blacks into MLB.

Perhaps, it's what they are getting "political" about is what distresses you.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?