Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Major Concerns

The panic , joy and general overreaction to opening day results are a rite of spring. Not to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would be happy to trade JD and his $44M luxury tax payroll amount. Do you honestly think there's a team out there willing to pay that EVEN without ANY compensation in return?

If not, how much are you willing to pay? And for what? We're already under the tax limit for 2021.

Let's think through and have an honest discussion.

Give me a viable trading partner in AL. And how much are you willing to eat?
    I'd trade JD for nothing, but nobody will take on that whole contract.

Would I trade him for nothing, if the other team paid half his contract, but I doubt we find a taker, even for that. (Also, this really doesn't help us this year.)
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    To be fair, the idea trading JD came up last deadline and a little over the winter.

Trading him might only free up $8-10M a year for two years, and since this year is not likely going to be all that competitive, we are really taking about just freeing up some cash for 2022, and not all that much.

He's not going anywhere, unless we are out of it by the deadline, and someone will pay a sizable chunk of his deal.
    I remember it being discussed but also that the discussion was futile because no one was likely to pay even half his salary following such a tough showing in 2020. Now he is here for 2021, the best strategy is to let him try to return to his past good form. Letting him try means at least a couple of months. If it doesn't work out, we should know by then. Not as if we will be compromising a shot at the pennant.

Would I trade him for nothing, if the other team paid half his contract, but I doubt we find a taker, even for that. (Also, this really doesn't help us this year.)
    Sox would have to eat 2/3 of his contract.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Yeah, if only they had dumped JD a couple of days ago, they'd have a shutout going today, and would have had a damn good chance of a no-hitter yesterday.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The panic , joy and general overreaction to opening day results are a rite of spring. Not to be taken seriously.
    Agreed. Though this offense looks flat, I think they will pick it up eventually. Pitching surprisingly has been our strong point.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Yeah, if only they had dumped JD a couple of days ago, they'd have a shutout going today, and would have had a damn good chance of a no-hitter yesterday.
    We have to be looking at Refroe, Codero and Dalbec to see if they will produce. Devers is a slow starter so that isn't anything new. I would hope that Spring training wasn't an illusion and the hitting will show up.

I’m not overreacting on Devers... I was saying this last year! My point has been what is he worth when it’s time to sign the big deal he’s going to demand! If this team is in a true rebuild why wouldn’t you dangle him out there to a contender down the stretch.... who really wants to pay 18-25 a year on DH

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    I’m not overreacting on Devers... I was saying this last year! My point has been what is he worth when it’s time to sign the big deal he’s going to demand! If this team is in a true rebuild why wouldn’t you dangle him out there to a contender down the stretch.... who really wants to pay 18-25 a year on DH
    I'm not sure why so many people seem to be writing him off at 1B. Not that 1Bmen get major bucks, either, but I think he can and will be a plus defender at 1B, if he is ever moved there.

Even if he does end up at DH, if JD was worth $22M, and maybe he wasn't, what should Devers get?
    Sox 4 Ever

Maybe, and it's not worth doing that, at this point, anyway.
    Sox 4 Ever

So, you think JD's open market value, right now, is about $7M x 2?
    Sox 4 Ever

Better be a good return.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

You made my point. Some posters come up with some half assed ideas which has no chance of happening. There's no way JD is traded or just let go. Also there's no way JD is extended beyond 2022 with same pay and just DH'ing. Not happening.

Not in Bloom's DNA.

Most Sox fans liked JD's contract a lot when he signed it.

And he has earned it up till now.

Talk about trading him and eating money just shows what a low point the team is at.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

probably more than that, but if they want to get talent in return for JD, they will have to discount the contract beyond his market value.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."