Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Bottom, 2021 AL East

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Maxie is a pot stirrer from way back.
    Actually, he was really, really mad--at both the Sox and MLB with their blackout restrictions. I see no further need for this thread.

Last night's win was most encouraging. Maybe the Sox hitters needed warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Actually, he was really, really mad--at both the Sox and MLB with their blackout restrictions. I see no further need for this thread.

Last night's win was most encouraging. Maybe the Sox hitters needed warmer weather.
    Fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

We have been paroled from the bottom of the barrel!

Here’s something I did not I would be saying this year....our starting pitchers (sans garret) have impressed me. I am really sad if we send houck down.

Ps: the bullpen! Last season I got heartburn and high blood pressure whenever one of them came into the game. Now this season, I just get a mild case of nausea!

Pss: I am so glad last year’s manager, the old guy asleep in the dugout and dreaming of next week’s pay day, is so out of here!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    We have been paroled from the bottom of the barrel!

Here’s something I did not I would be saying this year....our starting pitchers (sans garret) have impressed me. I am really sad if we send houck down.

Ps: the bullpen! Last season I got heartburn and high blood pressure whenever one of them came into the game. Now this season, I just get a mild case of nausea!

Pss: I am so glad last year’s manager, the old guy asleep in the dugout and dreaming of next week’s pay day, is so out of here!
    I’ve gone from wanting to trade JDM for old used chewing gum to thinking the guy is inspiring a. Close knit team .I am impressed at team chemistry at the end of these games it’s been undeniable ....something you can’t count for in sports is the will to win for each other .im very intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    I’ve gone from wanting to trade JDM for old used chewing gum to thinking the guy is inspiring a. Close knit team .I am impressed at team chemistry at the end of these games it’s been undeniable ....something you can’t count for in sports is the will to win for each other .im very intrigued.
    Who will be your next target?
    Sox 4 Ever

The 2 keys to avoiding a 90+ loss season is 1. Getting ERod back to some semblance of 2019 making 30 starts. 2. Eovaldi making 25 starts. Not much can be expected of the rest of the rotation.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 04-08-2021 at 05:56 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    A few of us were concerned that JDM was losing bat speed and as a highly paid DH without defensive cred, he might become a liability. I didn't see a way to effect a trade so suggested the best approach would be to let him demonstrate his ability, at least to the All-Star break and then be better informed about how to deal with him going forward. So far, he is hitting much better and looks like a top DH and strength of the team. Patience is a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    A few of us were concerned that JDM was losing bat speed and as a highly paid DH without defensive cred, he might become a liability. I didn't see a way to effect a trade so suggested the best approach would be to let him demonstrate his ability, at least to the All-Star break and then be better informed about how to deal with him going forward. So far, he is hitting much better and looks like a top DH and strength of the team. Patience is a virtue.
    If we end up moving Devers to DH, maybe JD plays the OF and gets some cred there.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    If we end up moving Devers to DH, maybe JD plays the OF and gets some cred there.
    Why?

The Sox are not likely to make the postseason anyway. So why not either let Devers see if he can handle 3B or move him to 1B and see if he can handle that position? There is absolutely no point in making a 24yo player a full time DH just so a 34yo high-salaried player player can show us what we already know about his defensive skills.

Wherever Devers plays, his defense is NOT going to be why the Sox miss the post-season. There is no reason to pigeonhole him into the most limited role in the lineup before he turns 25.

Not to mention, who takes over the corner INF positions and what outfielder takes a seat under this scenario?

Who will be your next target?
    I got Renfro on the “warm” seat!

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Why?

The Sox are not likely to make the postseason anyway. So why not either let Devers see if he can handle 3B or move him to 1B and see if he can handle that position? There is absolutely no point in making a 24yo player a full time DH just so a 34yo high-salaried player player can show us what we already know about his defensive skills.

Wherever Devers plays, his defense is NOT going to be why the Sox miss the post-season. There is no reason to pigeonhole him into the most limited role in the lineup before he turns 25.

Not to mention, who takes over the corner INF positions and what outfielder takes a seat under this scenario?
    I've said over and over, I'm not for doing this, but since you ask which OF'er sits: EHern plays 2B FT and Renfroe/Cordero platoon.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    I've said over and over, I'm not for doing this, but since you ask which OF'er sits: EHern plays 2B FT and Renfroe/Cordero platoon.
    I agree with Notin and am fine with Devers, errors and all, and Bogaerts, with his limited range, on the left side of the infield. As we have just learned, the backup DH should be Vazquez with JD Martinez moving to LF.

I am more and more convinced no one on talksox has ever heard or read the expression, "good field, no hit," which is shorthand for guys who usually don't get to the majors and never to the HOF, which is reserved for hitters and pitchers. Are there some great fielders in the HOF? Absolutely. But their bats got them in.

Is Willie Mays my favorite HOF'er? He sure is--precisely because he was a bona fide five tool player whose most famous play was grabbing Wertz's 1954 World Series long drive deep into the vast expanse of the Polo Grounds centerfield. Seeing a great defensive play is like reading a sonnet by Keats or Shakespeare, but only occasionally is it a game-winner.

I like the idea of Vaz at DH, when he needs rest from catching, but JD should not play the OF, unless we are playing at an NL park.

I do NOT want to switch Devers mid season and still have faith he can become a plus defender at 3B.- given time. I am also very near certain he can become a plus-plus defensive 1Bman given a short period of time to learn the footwork and new angles.

This whole talk began with me presenting a scenario whereby Devers is just totally sucking on defense at 3B- to an unacceptable level, and what options we might have, if that happened.
    Sox 4 Ever

I like the idea of Vaz at DH, when he needs rest from catching, but JD should not play the OF, unless we are playing at an NL park.

I do NOT want to switch Devers mid season and still have faith he can become a plus defender at 3B.- given time. I am also very near certain he can become a plus-plus defensive 1Bman given a short period of time to learn the footwork and new angles.

This whole talk began with me presenting a scenario whereby Devers is just totally sucking on defense at 3B- to an unacceptable level, and what options we might have, if that happened.
    I agree with those who can't imagine the Sox switching Devers and Dalbec during the season. Devers is a third baseman, period. He's capable of being solid, and sometimes spectacular. Can we agree his defensive lapses aren't physical, since he has elite reflexes and a strong arm? He just needs maturity, and probably continued guidance from coaches and teammates. If he needs a break, the versatile vets will spell him.

If Rafie is borderline brutal all season, then the Sox may choose to make changes next offseason... just like the Yankees will when they finally admit they can't win with Torres at shortstop (he's no Jeter -- a mostly solid, sometimes overrated defender, with a knack for making clutch plays; Torres just isn't good).

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I agree with those who can't imagine the Sox switching Devers and Dalbec during the season. Devers is a third baseman, period. He's capable of being solid, and sometimes spectacular. Can we agree his defensive lapses aren't physical, since he has elite reflexes and a strong arm? He just needs maturity, and probably continued guidance from coaches and teammates. If he needs a break, the versatile vets will spell him.

If Rafie is borderline brutal all season, then the Sox may choose to make changes next offseason... just like the Yankees will when they finally admit they can't win with Torres at shortstop (he's no Jeter -- a mostly solid, sometimes overrated defender, with a knack for making clutch plays; Torres just isn't good).
    Unfortunately, defensive problems often are more mental than physical.

Otherwise, agree with everything you said.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.