Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 4/20 vs Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Let's see if I have this right. The Sox have the best hitting in MLB--best OPS and most runs scored--and they are 12-6 in a season in which they were expected to struggle (which could still happen).

But meanwhile the lineup is in desperate need of fixing? Is it also time to dump Cora for letting Kike lead off?
    Is a 289 OBP good for leadoff?

According to Fangraphs, Arroyo is the 5th best hitter on the team right now. Seems like he should play as much as possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

As somebody pointed about Arroyo, probably notin, he was a first round draft pick.

Mega kudos to Bloom and the scouts, whoever was responsible, for seeing the guy's potential.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

According to Fangraphs, Arroyo is the 5th best hitter on the team right now. Seems like he should play as much as possible?
    Arroyo is playing a lot more than anyone expected, I think.

Our management is doing a fine job.

Kike's days at leadoff could certainly be numbered, though.

While .327 is not great for a lead off hitter, that's what Kike has done the last 14 days, so maybe he'll heat it up, soon.

I'm not defending Kike as our lead off hitter, but he has been better than .289, lately. (.333 last 7 days)

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Let's remember, this is a short sample size, but it is great seeing someone stepping it up to fill one of our weakest positions on the team: 2B.

We started the spring with a long list of wanna-be's and promising candidates:

Hernandez
    Arroyo
    Marwin
    Chavis
    Arauz
    Munoz
    Downs

While this list may look weak, in some ways, it should not be surprising that one did well (so far).

Deity

I think the time to make changes is when the lineup stops being the best lineup in MLB (based on scoring the most runs and having the highest OPS) in a season when the Sox were expected to be near the bottom of the AL.

So, again, why do you want to mess with success?

I think the time to make changes is when the lineup stops being the best lineup in MLB (based on scoring the most runs and having the highest OPS) in a season when the Sox were expected to be near the bottom of the AL.

In first with the answer: "Because we can be even more successful"

The thing is, Cora has already tinkered with the line up several times, and not just when giving players a day of rest, so in some ways we have been successful by "tinkering," so why mess with tinkering?

BTW, I'm totally fine with whatever Cora does. I may scratch my head a few times, and voice a different opinion, but to me Cora & Bloom are just what we need and are doing a fabulous job.

Arroyo has led off 2 of 18 games.
    We've had 3 hitters slotted in the 2 slot, but Verdugo in 16 of 18.
    3 slot: JD in 16/Bogey in 2
    4 slot: Bogey 14, Devers 3, Vaz 1
    5 slot: Devers 12, Vaz 5, Marwin 1

The rest has been a near free-for-all, which is often the case for all teams:
    6: Marwin 8, Vaz 5, Renfroe 4, Arroyo 1
    7: Renfroe 5, Arroyo 5, Marwin 5, Vaz 2, Dalbec 1
    8: Dalbec 7, Cordero 6, Vaz & Arroyo 1
    9: Plawecki 7, Dalbec 5, Cordero 5, Arroyo 1

Yes, many of the top 5 slots were shuffled due to a player being rested, but not all of them.

Most good managers tinker a little bit and make a major switch, when needed- usually not after just an 18 game stretch and while the player in question seems to be improving.

Deity

The season is like a 9 inning game, with each inning consisting of 18 games. As of today, the Sox have played 1 inning of a 9 inning season.

To date, I have disagreed with one move Cora made--when he brought in Barnes to pitch the 9th when the Sox had a 4 run lead, 7-3, over the White Sox. Barnes ended up throwing 28 pitches (while giving up 1 run) the day before the Sox had a double header. As it turned out, Barnes wasn't needed on Sunday because the Sox lost both games and never had the lead in either game. Also, my guess is that Barnes warmed up on Saturday in the bottom of the 8th when the game was tied or the Sox had a 1 run lead (part of what turned out to be a 4 run rally). I admit I could have been wrong about Barnes.

So my thoughts are that Cora seems to be the ideal manager for the team Chaim Bloom has so far assembled. Or maybe they are just lucky. Either way I am reluctant to assert that Cora has yet to figure out how to make up a batting order.

While .327 is not great for a lead off hitter, that's what Kike has done the last 14 days, so maybe he'll heat it up, soon.

I'm not defending Kike as our lead off hitter, but he has been better than .289, lately. (.333 last 7 days)

I'm looking forward to a JBJ type hot and cold streak from Kiké.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    As somebody pointed about Arroyo, probably notin, he was a first round draft pick.

Mega kudos to Bloom and the scouts, whoever was responsible, for seeing the guy's potential.
    I don't think he's a 5 tool guy, but I think he has some value as an everyday starter at 2B.

I'd suggest what I think the lineup should look like, but I guess our opinions only matter when the team sucks?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

This is not Bloom's first time acquiring Arroyo. There is clearly something about this guy he likes...

Deity
    I don't think he's a 5 tool guy, but I think he has some value as an everyday starter at 2B.

I'd suggest what I think the lineup should look like, but I guess our opinions only matter when the team sucks?
    No, it's just easier to sell then...

Arroyo is not a speed demon going first to third, that's for sure. But he has consistently made hard contact since Spring Training -- and so far, is best of the regulars with only 8 Ks (Verdugo and Vaz have 9); less than half of team leaders Dalbec, Franchy and KIKE with 17 each...

Deity

Actually, I think opinions matter more somewhere between sucks and excels. If the latter, don't mess with the success. If the former, changing the batting order is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.