Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Time Capsules

Trade Time Capsules

I was watching Padres-Dodgers last night, and as David Price started to cough up some runs and get the Padres started on their comeback, I realized how overall, I am content with the results of that trade. Sure, I would love to still have Mookie, but I am glad Price is LA's problem now, while Dugie is my favorite player on the current Red Sox roster. So, it got me thinking, why not take a look back at some Sox trades in recent history, and assess how they worked out for both teams.

Dodgers (2020): Betts and Price for Verdugo

As I said above, I'm very content with this deal now. Dodgers still "won" the trade, but not by as much as they originally thought. We have a baller in Dugie.

White Sox (2017): Moncada and Kopech for Sale

I truly think both sides are winners here. Kopech is blossoming into in ace (look at his numbers from his start yesterday), and Moncada has developed into an everyday 3B with a much lower K rate than when he arrived in the majors with the Sox

Brewers (2017): Shaw for Thornburg

Um yeah, let's not talk about this one...

Am I missing anything from these deals? What other trades can we dive into?
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

We won the Betts trade, too.

The Shaw trade only looked good for the Brewers for 1.5 years.

The Sale trade was great, but behind these...

To me, the best 3 Sox trades are:

Pedro for Carl Pavano & Tony Armas Jr.

The Dodger dump (not the Price one)

Derek Lowe & Jason Varitek for Heathcliff Slcobumb,
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Two from 2018: Steve Pearce for Santiago Espinal; Nate Eovaldi for Jalen Beeks.

Pearce was MVP of the '18 World Series. Eovaldi was the most valuable pitcher of the entire postseason. The Red Sox probably don't win it all without either.

Both deals are still winners for Boston. Espinal is a back-up infielder for Toronto, Beeks a relief pitcher for Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

Pearce was MVP of the '18 World Series. Eovaldi was the most valuable pitcher of the entire postseason. The Red Sox probably don't win it all without either.

Both deals are still winners for Boston. Espinal is a back-up infielder for Toronto, Beeks a relief pitcher for Tampa.
    That 2018 team was so great, we probably could have won without any 1-2 players, but yes, those were great under-the-radar trades.

Extending both might have been mistakes.

The Schilling trade was also a good one.

I loved the Nomar deal. We ended up getting Ellsbury and Lowrie as comp picks for OCab. Later, we got Melancon for Lowrie and Holt for Melancon. We also got Kopech as comp for Ellsbury, and he helped bring us Sale.

Deity
    I wouldn’t call Pearce and Eovaldi “under the radar.” We were all aware, both played big roles in October, and both signed new deals with Boston.

The biggest “under the radar” deadline acquisition in Red Sox history is far and away dealing Henri Stanley to the Dodgers for Dave Roberts...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

The problem with calling Boston a “winner” in those deals is it implies Toronto and Tampa were losers. Exactly what did either team lose out on considering both Eovaldi and Pearce hit free agency three months after being dealt and both teams still have a Major League ball player on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I loved the Nomar deal. We ended up getting Ellsbury and Lowrie as comp picks for OCab. Later, we got Melancon for Lowrie and Holt for Melancon. We also got Kopech as comp for Ellsbury, and he helped bring us Sale.
    Wow, that is quite the tree of players. I did not know Ellsbury came from that trade. I bet the Yankees wish we never acquired Nomar, for more reasons than one

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I was watching Padres-Dodgers last night, and as David Price started to cough up some runs and get the Padres started on their comeback, I realized how overall, I am content with the results of that trade. Sure, I would love to still have Mookie, but I am glad Price is LA's problem now, while Dugie is my favorite player on the current Red Sox roster. So, it got me thinking, why not take a look back at some Sox trades in recent history, and assess how they worked out for both teams.

Dodgers (2020): Betts and Price for Verdugo

As I said above, I'm very content with this deal now. Dodgers still "won" the trade, but not by as much as they originally thought. We have a baller in Dugie.

White Sox (2017): Moncada and Kopech for Sale

I truly think both sides are winners here. Kopech is blossoming into in ace (look at his numbers from his start yesterday), and Moncada has developed into an everyday 3B with a much lower K rate than when he arrived in the majors with the Sox

Brewers (2017): Shaw for Thornburg

Um yeah, let's not talk about this one...

Am I missing anything from these deals? What other trades can we dive into?
    The Kimbrel deal has always been pointed to as a serious overpay in talent by Dave.

The X factor in that trade is Logan Allen, who is in the Indians' rotation this year.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I wouldn’t call Pearce and Eovaldi “under the radar.” We were all aware, both played big roles in October, and both signed new deals with Boston.

The biggest “under the radar” deadline acquisition in Red Sox history is far and away dealing Henri Stanley to the Dodgers for Dave Roberts...
    Under the radar in the sense that nobody expected them to lead us to a ring. They were just expected to be role players that maybe helped us fill some holes and get us over the top.

Neither had eye-popping numbers coming to Boston, but boy, they put some up, once here.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Kimbrel deal has always been pointed to as a serious overpay in talent by Dave.

The X factor in that trade is Logan Allen, who is in the Indians' rotation this year.
    And Allen has yet t become anything special, but right now he is better than Josh Taylor.

Of course, the trade that got us Taylor could also be viewed as a win, considering we got him for Deven Marrero...

And Allen has yet t become anything special, but right now he is better than Josh Taylor.

Of course, the trade that got us Taylor could also be viewed as a win, considering we got him for Deven Marrero...
    Not saying much when you look at what Taylor has done, but it sure beats Marrero, who is currently playing for a team called the Mariachis in Mexico

Peavy for Montas, Iglesias and prospects
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The other thing about looking at trades like the Kimbrel one, years later is the fact that it might not really be about comparing how the players did after a trade, but the fact that we might very well likely had traded Margot, Guerra, Asuaje and Allen for someone else or for 2 other guys.

It's not that Kimbrel did poorly for us, but at the time of the trade, he was making near FA money. That's the part that rubbed me the wrong way. Why not just sign a closer?

(Now, the closer pay went up sharply, immediately after the trade, so that part was not as bad as it first looked.)

Margot took a long time to develop into a well-rounded player, but he'd be starting on this team, right now.

Deity
    Peavy for Montas, Iglesias and prospects
    And one of those prospects we dealt was JB Wendelken, who is still pitching pretty well in the Oakland bullpen...

And one of those prospects we dealt was JB Wendelken, who is still pitching pretty well in the Oakland bullpen...
    Didn't see his name listed originally.

TTraded by Chicago White Sox to Boston Red Sox as part of 3-team trade in which Detroit Tigers sent Brayan Villarreal to Boston Red Sox; Boston Red Sox sent Jose Iglesias to Detroit Tigers; Detroit Tigers sent Avisail Garcia to Chicago White Sox; and Boston Red Sox sent Jeffrey Wendelken, Francellis Montas and Cleuluis Rondon to Chicago White Sox (July 30, 2013).
    ( I won't say the "C word.")