Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Since they lost last night, I need to tell you what I REALLY feel about the 2021 Sox!

Fun fact:

Based on playing the most teams who have an above .500 record, the O's have had the toughest schedule in MLB so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm almost alwayd for adding and ace as the best way to take a major step forward. The cost has gone through the roof, and the Price example is fair warning, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm not sure, if this winter is the right time, and many of the best starters are over 37, so maybe we'll see a shorter term deal with one of them in hopes of bridging us to the next ace.
    You jump and overpay the right guys. Price was not one of them.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Having just played the O's, which rookie, Dalbec or Mountcastle, do you guys believe will develop into the better hitter?
    While Mountcastle is younger, I like Dalbec's career OBP better.

Mountcastle just turned 24 and has a .328 OBP in the minors, although it was .344 in AAA.

Dalbec turns 26, soon, but he has a .363 OBP in the minors.
    Sox 4 Ever

Agreed.

I'd call up Santana, Arauz, and even Ockimey before the big 3 prospects.
    Ockimey would have to hit first. It hasn't looked good so far. Would they consider promoting mediocre Tate Matheny since he can play all over the place and it's not going to affect his development?

Having just played the O's, which rookie, Dalbec or Mountcastle, do you guys believe will develop into the better hitter?
    Mountcastle

The AL East, imho, is going to be the toughest division in MLB. So far, there's no cupcakes in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Good discussion on the pitching, which to me has been better than expected. But, as you all seem to agree, can it hold up, especially the rotation? Meanwhile the bullpen is leaking runs almost every game.

Every year, or almost every year, the hitting seems to be good, the pitching less so--and this year more than ever. Hitting is #1 in MLB and pitching is #14.
    Again, this pen is a top 10 pen.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You jump and overpay the right guys. Price was not one of them.
    At the time, I felt Price had the record to be as good as anyone who had come along in a long time, with the possible exception of Scherzer, who was there the year before, but even Scherzer's record wasn't as good over a longer time period.

I thought it was an overpay, but that's a given when signing an ace, but I felt it was needed and would work out better than it did.

I'm just glad we were able to dump half his contract those last 3 years on his deal.
    Sox 4 Ever

Fun fact:

Based on playing the most teams who have an above .500 record, the O's have had the toughest schedule in MLB so far this season.
    Interesting. I don't see the Orioles making a big jump in the standings this year. They have some interesting players, but are still very mediocre.

The AL East, imho, is going to be the toughest division in MLB. So far, there's no cupcakes in the East.
    According to jacko, the O's and Sox were supposed to be lightweights. Hasn't quite worked out that way.

At the time, I felt Price had the record to be as good as anyone who had come along in a long time, with the possible exception of Scherzer, who was there the year before, but even Scherzer's record wasn't as good over a longer time period.

I thought it was an overpay, but that's a given when signing an ace, but I felt it was needed and would work out better than it did.

I'm just glad we were able to dump half his contract those last 3 years on his deal.
    Maybe he would have been perceived as having more value if he didn't have those arm troubles?

Ockimey would have to hit first. It hasn't looked good so far. Would they consider promoting mediocre Tate Matheny since he can play all over the place and it's not going to affect his development?
    He's only had 19 ABs, this year.

He's a lefty killer, but the bad part is that he's on the wrong end of a possible Dalbec platoon.
    Sox 4 Ever

Interesting. I don't see the Orioles making a big jump in the standings this year. They have some interesting players, but are still very mediocre.
    Even if Means pitches a no hitter every time out, they'd probably still finish last.
    Sox 4 Ever

While Mountcastle is younger, I like Dalbec's career OBP better.

Mountcastle just turned 24 and has a .328 OBP in the minors, although it was .344 in AAA.

Dalbec turns 26, soon, but he has a .363 OBP in the minors.
    They're both power RH's and equally strong. It should be interesting to compare them as the season moves along.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 05-11-2021 at 11:00 AM.

I regret the Pablo/Hanley/Castillo signings much more than the Price signing. At least Price made contributions to success.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.