Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What does Frenchy have on the Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Maybe there are other reasons that they are reluctant to bring Duran up. Years of control or something like that. Trying Duran now instead of sticking with a very unproductive Cordero appears to be a no brainer and I don't buy the stated excuses for not doing it.[/B]
    There are way more Thant 2 choices.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    There are way more Thant 2 choices.
    Cordero has had 87 plate appearnces. Jackie Bradley floundered for 2 years and 530 PA with an OPS+ of 53 and still got chances...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Cordero has had 87 plate appearnces. Jackie Bradley floundered for 2 years and 530 PA with an OPS+ of 53 and still got chances...
    With much better defense though.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

No sense in moving Duran up. When Kike comes back, you’ve got your CFer. Renfroe hitting takes LF. Marwin to 2b with Arroyo once he’s healthy and Verdugo in RF. Marwin also backs up the COF spots. Durran isn’t seeing the field unless someone goes down for the season

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    With much better defense though.
    And yet fans still called for his removal the whole time...

Some did, while some appreciated his one specialty, which was at the top of his industry. Like Remy says, baseball is hard; it's hard to do just one thing well. At least Jackie Bradley was a baseball player, and not just a super-strong, super-fast athlete that some front offices hope will learn hardball in the big leagues. JBJ was accomplished coming out of college -- when he first roomed with Betts, Mookie recognized Jackie as the famous one, and not the other way around.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Some did, while some appreciated his one specialty, which was at the top of his industry. Like Remy says, baseball is hard; it's hard to do just one thing well. At least Jackie Bradley was a baseball player, and not just a super-strong, super-fast athlete that some front offices hope will learn hardball in the big leagues. JBJ was accomplished coming out of college -- when he first roomed with Betts, Mookie recognized Jackie as the famous one, and not the other way around.
    Using message boards as a representative sample, most called for him gone based on his hitting, which took a long time to come around. My expectations dropped and frequently called him “the next Darren Lewis”, a player I always felt was unappreciated because he was primarily a defensive player. But then many people didn’t like Darren Lewis because, well, he was primarily a defensive player.

Cordero isn’t playing GG defense, but even if he was, many would still want him replaced. If he was OPSing 1.200 and playing Dwayne Hosey defense out there, plenty of people would be defending him, assuming the issue came up at all. Heck, some people project elite defense on mediocre to bad fielders if they are elite hitters who make routine plays most of the time. This happened to Bogaerts on this board just last week...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    No sense in moving Duran up. When Kike comes back, you’ve got your CFer. Renfroe hitting takes LF. Marwin to 2b with Arroyo once he’s healthy and Verdugo in RF. Marwin also backs up the COF spots. Durran isn’t seeing the field unless someone goes down for the season
    Duran is very likely behind the injured players on the depth chart. When Hernandez and Arroyo return, Arauz and perhaps Cordero might be the ones demoted...

Patience is in short supply around here. But it doesn't take much to turn people's opinions around. On TalkSox , players are reevaluated after every game. Sometimes after every at bat.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    And being appreciated by Mookie and Remy isn’t even remotely the same as being appreciated by casual fans and diehard fans, and even many advanced metric types.

If you poke around about Cordero, you can find he was also very much appreciated by scouts and MLB people for a long time for his defensive play and his offensive tools. But that hasn’t stopped anyone from being disappointed with him this year. Including you, who has called me out for reminding people that the guy has had better numbers before and at the MLB level. It’s not exactly fair to give players like Bradley credit for collegiate performance but disregard anything Cordero did in MLB just because it wasn’t in Boston...

Of course. A lot of fans are instant gratification junkies.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Immediate and consistent. It seems like one 0 for 12 stretch and too many demand you get traded....

The issue is that many people think that what you have done in the last few short games is somehow predictive of what is to be expected. Some even look back to just your last one game sample size to determine that players next game usage.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Probably worth mentioning that this happens even from those of us who hate the practice. My own repeated calling for Taylor’s demotion does appear to have been premature...

Probably worth mentioning that this happens even from those of us who hate the practice. My own repeated calling for Taylor’s demotion does appear to have been premature...
    I felt the same way. Taylor had a good season a couple years back, and might have just needed time to regain his old form, but I still have my doubts about using him in high leverage situations going forward.

We don’t have many in -system choices that jump out at us to be called up, so it looks like we may be stuck with what we have until Brasier, Houck, Seabold and Sale return or the deadline.

I actually like the chances that 1 or 2 of the following pitchers will grow into a solid set up man:

Sawamura
    Andriese
    Hernandez
    Valdez
    Bazardo
    Brasier
    Taylor

I still have no faith in Brice.
    Sox 4 Ever