Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 196 to 206 of 206

Thread: 5/14 vs LA Angels

  1. #196
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,263
    Good news today: pivetta with another impressive outing! Dalbec bails out to the bullpen!

    Bad news today: the Yankees won!

  2. #197
    El mar no cesa iortiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    14,405
    A day at a time. People (even Red Sox fan here) expect this team choke all of the sudden and be mediocre as expected ó 80-85 win team. Not today. Not today.

    Letís f go!
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

  3. #198
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    31,747
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

    It was 2 nights ago , but just about everyone has sucked their last outing or more.

    I happen to think Andriese might be our best hope as our #3, but the freshest sucky outing always seems like the worst.
    Was Splinter being mean to AC again?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  4. #199
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    16,855
    Very impressed with the game last night. Pivetta and Richards are locked in a tight race for the title of best starting pitcher on the roster, a race I am enjoying very much. Should Cora have gone to Andriese? Perhaps not. Whitlock was unavailable, Darwinzon has been shaky of late, and Sawamura has pitched better recently, but still has been known to blow it up. So, Andriese was probably his most viable options. I don't think Pivetta should have come out for the 7th in the first place. I always like to see relievers come into a clean inning, so I think that might have helped Andriese a little. But how about Ottavino? Striking out Ohtani and Trout in the 8th? I bet that got the crowd charged up. Barnes continues to dominate in the 9th. On a night to night basis, if we can just get to the 9th with a lead, we'll be fine.


    No, the offense wasn't great, but it produced when it needed to. If we are starting to witness the true extent of what Bobby Dalbec can do, this next week or so could be a lot of fun. The bottom of the order is starting to produce, between Renfroe, Dalbec, and Chavis, if you lump him in with the bottom of the order. It doesn't matter who does what on what night, just as long as we end up outscoring our opponents. But, very happy to see us win a game where the bullpen blew a lead. We know they will blow leads for us, so it's important to grab as many of those wins as possible
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

  5. #200
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    31,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    No, the offense wasn't great, but it produced when it needed to. If we are starting to witness the true extent of what Bobby Dalbec can do, this next week or so could be a lot of fun. The bottom of the order is starting to produce, between Renfroe, Dalbec, and Chavis, if you lump him in with the bottom of the order. It doesn't matter who does what on what night, just as long as we end up outscoring our opponents. But, very happy to see us win a game where the bullpen blew a lead. We know they will blow leads for us, so it's important to grab as many of those wins as possible
    I think the team has handled Dalbec's early struggles beautifully and now he's going to be a force.

    And Renfroe has really been stepping up too.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  6. #201
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    16,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think the team has handled Dalbec's early struggles beautifully and now he's going to be a force.

    And Renfroe has really been stepping up too.
    Absolutely. The difference between him and Franchy is that we know what Dalbec can do. It was just a matter of working with him until he got that stroke back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

  7. #202
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    31,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Very impressed with the game last night. Pivetta and Richards are locked in a tight race for the title of best starting pitcher on the roster, a race I am enjoying very much.
    Peripheral stats indicate that Eovaldi and E-Rod are in the race too.

    The overall stats for our 5 starters right now are excellent. I can't remember too many Red Sox teams where all 5 starters were pitching well like this.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  8. #203
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    44,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Peripheral stats indicate that Eovaldi and E-Rod are in the race too.

    The overall stats for our 5 starters right now are excellent. I can't remember too many Red Sox teams where all 5 starters were pitching well like this.
    We’re the only MLB team with 5 starters over 30 IP and a plus ERA plus or minus 100 ERA-.

    As a team, our starters are 5th in IP.
    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #204
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    9,615
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We’re the only MLB team with 5 starters over 30 IP and a plus ERA plus or minus 100 ERA-.

    As a team, our starters are 5th in IP.
    So maybe Bloom gets an A for the rotation and something lower for the bullpen. The WAR's and ERA's for the staff are:

    Pivetta 1.1, 3.16
    Barnes 1.0, 1.89
    Whitlock .7, 1.77
    Eovaldi .6, 4.20
    ERod .5, 4.15
    Richards .3, 3.89
    Perez .2, 4.01
    Sawamu .2, 3.31
    Valdez .1, 3.38
    Houck 0, 4.35
    Ottavi -.2, 4.02
    Taylor -.2, 6.39
    Brice -.3, 7.39
    Hernan -.3, 4.63
    Andries -.3, 4.91

  10. #205
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    9,615
    Here's something interesting.

    I track the Sox pitching staff ERA and it's position with respect to the 29 other MLB teams. The team ERA has been dropping recently and is now 3.85. But not that long ago 3.85 had the Sox ranked 9th, and now 3.85 has them ranked 15th.

    Relatedly, of the top 17 MLB teams in ERA, only the Marlins (8th, ERA 3.49) and Nationals (14th, ERA 3.84) have losing records.

    Meanwhile, in the hitting and especially run scoring department, The Reds, ranked 5th in run scoring, have a losing record; the Rockies, 6th, ditto; the Diamondbacks 7th, ditto; the Braves, 10th, ditto; the Rangers, 11th, ditto; the Angels, 12th, ditto; the Cubs, 14th, ditto; the Twins, tied for 14th, ditto (in fact, at 12 and 24 they are the worst team in MLB).

    So it sure seems to me that, as much as I like the fact that the Sox are 2d in MLB in scoring runs and 1st in team OPS, that good pitching is more vital than ever.

    Which gets us back to the argument about the active roster. I say again, more pitching choices are more useful than more position players. Cora actually believes in resting position players by giving them a day off, but this year he seems to want to keep those good bats in the lineup, so in the last two games first Bogie and then Devers were DH while JDM patrolled LF.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-15-2021 at 09:53 AM.

  11. #206
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Quincy, MA
    Posts
    16,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Here's something interesting.

    I track the Sox pitching staff ERA and it's position with respect to the 29 other MLB teams. The team ERA has been dropping recently and is now 3.85. But not that long ago 3.85 had the Sox ranked 9th, and now 3.85 has them ranked 15th.

    Relatedly, of the top 17 MLB teams in ERA, only the Marlins (8th, ERA 3.49) and Nationals (14th, ERA 3.84) have losing records.

    Meanwhile, in the hitting and especially run scoring department, The Reds, ranked 5th in run scoring, have a losing record; the Rockies, 6th, ditto; the Diamondbacks 7th, ditto; the Braves, 10th, ditto; the Rangers, 11th, ditto; the Angels, 12th, ditto; the Cubs, 14th, ditto; the Twins, tied for 14th, ditto (in fact, at 12 and 24 they are the worst team in MLB).

    So it sure seems to me that, as much as I like the fact that the Sox are 2d in MLB in scoring runs and 1st in team OPS, that good pitching is more vital than ever.

    Which gets us back to the argument about the active roster. I say again, more pitching choices are more useful than more position players. Cora actually believes in resting position players by giving them a day off, but this year he seems to want to keep those good bats in the lineup, so in the last two games first Bogie and then Devers were DH while JDM patrolled LF.
    Very interesting take about ERA. Middle of the road ERA and a top 5 offense is about what most people thought heading into the year. If we're right on those numbers, and 24-16, that's a sign that this level of play can be maintained.

    What do the offensive numbers look like for the Marlins and Nats, those 2 teams in the top of the ERA category that are under .500? The Nats scoring 17 last night should have an impact on those numbers though
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •