Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: June 5: BOS (ERod) @ NYY (Taillon)

June 5: BOS (ERod) @ NYY (Taillon)

The battle of struggling starters.

Sox could put some more distance between this game and their recent slump.

The Yanks need this game more than we do- all the more reason to stick it to them with a lop-sided loss!

Maybe ERod starts to turn things around. The extra rest didn't help him last game: maybe it will tonight.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 06-05-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    After his first few starts this season, who would have though EROD would become the weak link in the rotation.
    He is in a contract year, so he has ample motivation to turn it around.
    Today would be a great time against the Sox biggest rival.

I think E-Rod is close to turning the corner. He pitched better than his stats indicated on Monday on Houston. Hopefully tonight is the night he shows some life
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Oscars View Post
    After his first few starts this season, who would have though EROD would become the weak link in the rotation.
    He is in a contract year, so he has ample motivation to turn it around.
    Today would be a great time against the Sox biggest rival.
    Yes, people were saying we should extend him before the price tag goes up.

With the long term effects of COVID largely unknown, and ERod having been hit hard with a heart condition, it was better to wait it out.

My hope is he was just experiencing a bout of tiredness, which apparently can come and go without much notice.

For years and years his big issue was always high pitch counts. He had finally seemed to turn the corner on that problem and then wham! COVID struck him hard.

For this reason, I think fans should go easy on him. It's not a sure thing his struggles are related to COVID, but the guy has been a battler all his career, so I think he deserves the benefit of doubt.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    To pitch this guy right now is suicide. He’s a momentum stopper for this team right now. I hope everything goes right but not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    To pitch this guy right now is suicide. He’s a momentum stopper for this team right now. I hope everything goes right but not holding my breath.
    Does every player always repeat what they did in their last game?

Their last 4 games?

Their last 6 games?

Look, I'm not at all confident in ERod, at this moment, either, but sometimes you just have to let proven players work through the kinks.

I hope it is just a "kink."

I'm not sure how much longer I'll feel this way, and I'm not trying to diss you for thinking he needs a break, right now. Clearly, something is not right.

I'm sure management is watching him closely, monitoring his velo, spin rates and other factors. If the guys says he feels good, and I'm not saying I know what he's saying, he's due another start or two, at least- low confidence and all.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    If Cora had expectations as high and patience as low as you we would have traded the entire team away after Wednesday's game

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    If Cora had expectations as high and patience as low as you we would have traded the entire team away after Wednesday's game
    With the ghost, we'd have traded away the second 26, too.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    I am no ERod fan, but that does not mean I'm prepared to drop him from the rotation. His ERA is pretty high (5.64) and his WAR -.2, but I can remember 5th starters for the Sox whom I liked less, especially--as moonslav keep insisting--given his past performances in 2018 and 2019.

ERod is a member of a cast of players who have already given us our fair share of ups and downs this season. As moonslav also reminds us, he was pretty fair in April--4 starts, 23 innings, and an ERA of 3.52.

But, except for 5 innings vs. the Orioles in which he got a win, he was terrible in May.

And now it's June, and one can hope he and the pitching coach are making adjustments. Fortunately, the two of them, with very little effort, can access the excellent insights and advice afforded to all readers of Talksox.

Rodriguez is due, his arm has had a good bit of rest lately!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Rodriguez is due, his arm has had a good bit of rest lately!
    True. He's only pitched once since May 23rd. (13 days)
    Sox 4 Ever

How dumb are the Rangers?

Down 3-0 to the Rays with 2 outs in the bottom of the eighth and Calhoun gets thrown out stealing 2B.
    Sox 4 Ever

Santana DH
    Verdugo LF
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers 3B
    Renfroe RF
    Gonzalez 2B
    Hernandez CF
    Vazquez C
    Dalbec 1B

Is Arroyo on a no 2 days in a row plan or something?

I know Marwin is Cora's best bud, but what's up with the whole Arroyo situation?

The guy hit a key 3 run job the other day and did well his last game, too. He has the highest OBP of any Sox player not named Devers, JD, Bogey or Verdugo.

I thought the idea of removing Kike from the leadoff slot was to improve our chances of having someone get on base for the big 4.

Santana has the worst OBP of all Sox players on the 26 man roster (.222 in a small sample).
    Sox 4 Ever

Is JD on a 2 days off a week plan?
    Sox 4 Ever