Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Yankee Trade Deadline Thread

2021 Yankee Trade Deadline Thread

At the beginning of the season, the Yanks were going to be buyers at the deadline on their way towards an easy AL East title. Instead, they have shown a total apathy towards playing baseball, a lack of chemistry and a lack of fight. They've rolled over vs some of the worst pitching in baseball and have been steam rolled by some of the best. On days when they should have the upper hand, they give it back. There has been no defining moment for this team and they're rapidly running out of time. They're 8 games back of the surging Rays. A team that dumped their 2 best starters in the offseason yet continue to just do the right things. They don't win game scoring 10 runs most times, but they are perfectly content winning 3-2 while making other teams beat themselves. The sox have surged due mainly to their offense being great and their pitching not being entirely horrible. Plus, they have a heart and lack of quit that cannot be bottled. The Jays have started to rise as well on the back of their offense. Rumors have been out there for awhile that the Yanks are using the lux tax line as a soft cap for their additions this year, and if that's the case, adding anything of value may not be in the cards.

So, if the Yanks continue to play .500 ball and find themselves too far from the pack to reliably be called a WC contender, who would they sell? Well, for a team that was supposed to compete, this team has very little wiggle room. Kluber is their only sure fire FA of note and he is hurt with an earliest return date right at the deadline. So he isnt someone people will call for. Sanchez is definitely on the block and he has righted his ship of late, but if he were to be on the market, it would mostly be as a DH as he isnt a starting caliber defender at catcher. Maybe the Yanks would want to jettison Gleyber, but you'd be selling pennies on the dollar for a guy who has started to hit again. Ultimately, even if the Yanks wanted to be sellers, the people they could sell wouldnt fit with the mentality of contention in 2022 as most everyone else is under contract. It is looking like a pretty boring deadline for the Bronx Bummers
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Chapman, Judge, Taillon and Green all have 1.5 years left until free agency and can therefore be dealt for a larger haul than a 2 month rental…

It's not like the Yanks aren't capable of going on a nice run with their current team. They had a stretch where they went 23-9 while winning series against Houston, Tampa, and Chicago. But for whatever reason they get into these funks where seemingly everything goes wrong for them. I think they should stand pat at the deadline and either they figure things out and make the playoffs, or they continue to flounder and Boone (hopefully) gets canned.

A lot can happen in the next 7 weeks.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Yes it can. Maybe we can fire the manager and this team can go on a tear

I think the Yankees should take a step back and trade off some assets. Green and Chapman will be very appealing trade deadline pieces who will bring back some excellent prospects. As far as Judge goes, he is a popular player with the Yankees fan base and so they will hopefully hold on to Judge and sign him to a long term deal in the offseason. As a Red Sox fan, I'm rooting for the Yankees to spend around 200 million on Judge. That would be awesome, another big contract that will hinder the Yankees from making other moves.

The team is too talented and too stuck financially to sell off any core pieces. A full on explosion and rebuild won’t happen. They’ll try new management and adding before they blow it up

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The team is too talented and too stuck financially to sell off any core pieces. A full on explosion and rebuild won’t happen. They’ll try new management and adding before they blow it up
    Right now they’re just a pricier version of the Cincinnati Reds…

You’re not wrong with that comment. Talented team that annually underperforms

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    We were schooled on how to rebuild a team without blowing everything up. Yes, the Yanks did have a "sell off" a while back, but we were told their model was the best, and that they were set up for long term success due to having a solid 26 man roster, a solid 40 man roster and a more than solid farm system with a high concentration of very promising pitchers.

Now, it's all managements fault that the "great players" are under performing.

While I agree management sucks and has sucked for a long time, but maybe- just maybe, they really are not as good as they have looked on paper. If they were as good as some Yankee posters have been saying they are, then Cashman is a genius- not someone worthy of getting the axe, because great players are under perfomring.

Which one is it? Or, is it a little or a lot of both?

I've never been a Boone fan, except as a Sox fan, I enjoyed watching his bumblings and stumblings.

GMs are ultimately judged in hindsight. Maybe that's unfair, but it's true. I liked the Stanton trade, especially getting MIA to fork over some cash. I loved the Taillon trade, the Cole signing, and on and on, but the results have been very unfulfilling for Yankee fans.

I give Boone to the all star break to get the team to show some life.

Cashman probably lasts to the fall.

Sell off in July? Depends, but anyone with just this yeara left has to be on the table, assuming the Yanks still look hapless in July.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Not sure your argument holds water. If the Yanks team has been playing over their heads the last 4 years then management should be getting kudos, not fired. I think you and I both know that the Yanks are better than this. If the current management team cannot maximize what’s given to them, then it’s time to try again

This is Brian Cashman's team, and Boone is Cash's hand-picked manager.

Cash is the guy who should be held most accountable for the current state of affairs.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    This is Brian Cashman's team, and Boone is Cash's hand-picked manager.

Cash is the guy who should be held most accountable for the current state of affairs.
    History has shown that managers go before GMs. If Cashman gave Boone a team good enough to win and Boone can’t win, he’s likely gone…

As I said several weeks ago. This is a team with plenty of injury-prone and overrated players which sure, time to time can post good seasons an be close to make the WS but will never be good enough to win a ring. It has been a decade. The sample is large. Things on paper looked good, but it hasn't worked. It will never work with this FO's philosophy IMO.

If you really want to splash again, you have to rebuild your entire organization starting with the GM and start selling everything you can. You won't go anywhere anyways, so guys like DJ and Torres should be in the trade block.

Days where money was the only important thing to win championships are way gone. Money is important but it requires way more. LAD is an example how an organization has to be managed in MLB these days.

Glad to see Boston has understood that with Bloom (Friedman's boy) in command. It's a new era. Adapt or Die.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    History has shown that managers go before GMs. If Cashman gave Boone a team good enough to win and Boone can’t win, he’s likely gone…
    The Red Sox have taken the opposite direction, canning Ben and Dave while retaining their managers.

But with the Yankees, if Cashman ever goes, I'm sure it would be a total housecleaning.

Cynical Yankee fans think Cashman has a job as long as the team stays profitable.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.