Register now to remove this ad

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: July 4th @ Oakland

Just informed that the last time the SOX won a series in Oakland was in 2016.
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 07-04-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Wow!!

Seems like this was a cardiac one lol

Great week. Let’s go!
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    2021 Sox > 2018 Sox
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    2021 Sox > 2018 Sox
    IMHO the 2018 Red Sox is the best Red Sox team I have ever seen. They not only won 108 games but literally destroyed 3 100+ win teams in playoffs which on paper were favorites over the Sox.

Said that, this 2021 team looks pretty good and as I have said this team will surprise a lot of people.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Huge game by Pivetta. HUGE!

The more 700 bashes him, the better he does.

This team is special.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Huge game by Pivetta. HUGE!

The more 700 bashes him, the better he does.

This team is special.
    Maybe Pivetta reads the things said about him on this site and uses it as motivation! LOL
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    IMHO the 2018 Red Sox is the best Red Sox team I have ever seen. They not only won 108 games but literally destroyed 3 100+ win teams in playoffs which on paper were favorites over the Sox.

Said that, this 2021 team looks pretty good and as I have said this team will surprise a lot of people.
    This is more like the 2013 team minus Koji.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Huh? Sometimes it isn't easy. Seriously, maybe you two need to take up competitive knitting where there is no adversity. It seems you can't handle it.
    That was funny.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Yeah, that makes more sense. 2013 only had one big bat, Ortiz's, vs. this year's three, but had a deeper lineup and, in the first half of the season, three pretty good starters in Lester, Lackey, and Buchholz (13/16 starts were quality starts, ERA for season 1.74) before he went on the IL. Lester was 4-1 in the postseason with a 1.56 ERA and Lackey was 3-1, ERA 2.77. Uehara had 7 saves, ERA .66.

This year's team has good hitting overall and is 2d in MLB in scoring. Team ERA is 14th, largely because the rotation is inconsistent. Eovaldi right now deserves to be called the Sox's ace, but he's been shelled three times (6, 5, and 5 runs). I think his splitter has been the big difference because it allows him to throw fewer fastballs, which will be hit when he throws a lot of them. Pivetta is almost as capable as Eovaldi, but far more inconsistent as demonstrated in his last 3 starts: fantastic (6.2 innings, no hits or runs), horrible (6 runs, 4.1 innings), and great (7 innings, no runs, 2 hits). Perez, Richards, and ERod trail behind although ERod seems to be coming around in his last 2 starts: better mix of pitches and much better command.

Looking back over the past 3 months, I think the bullpen has been the key to a big chunk of those 53 AL-leading wins because they are deep and because Cora has managed them awfully well. The bullpen has allowed the Sox hitters to come back against other teams whose bullpens aren't as deep and to hold onto leads when the Sox starters have pitched well.

While Barnes has been great all-in-all this year, Koji was literally an automatic shout out for us.

Koji that year took the closer role after several trail outs and arguably become as the best asset of that team.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    While Barnes has been great all-in-all this year, Koji was literally an automatic shout out for us.

Koji that year took the closer role after several trail outs and arguably become as the best asset of that team.
    Agree. Frankly, I think Barnes has better stuff, but Koji Uehara was fearless and had great command, which allowed him to make just two pitches, a slow fastball and splitter, work like magic.