Register now to remove this ad

Thread: 2021 Yankees Draft

2021 Yankees Draft

1. Trey Sweeney- lefty hitting shortstop with a plus bat, average power, below average speed for the position. Expected to move to 3b, but his bat should play up to the position and power should rise as he gets older. I loved our first rounder last year (lefty swinging Austin Wells) and I love this one too. The draft nicks has him as a second rounder, so be it. He’s a pure bat guy, and those are hard to find. Cashman et al have done a reasonably good job replenishing the position player talent at the lower levels after years of splurging on athletes who could not hit. This kid’s bat will likely see him through the lower levels rapidly and his ascent should really be apparent next season as an advanced hitter in A ball
    Hal sucks

Really doesn't need its own thread
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I make this thread every year. There are many more picks to come

What I meant to say was: I don't think anybody really cares, besides you and bkz. But, hey you never know.

I care. I want to see every Yankee prospect bust, no offense.

I hope he gets injured, then recovers gets Whitlocked by us and has a great career.

It's in the Yankees forum. What's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

I hope he gets injured, then recovers gets Whitlocked by us and has a great career.
    And I’d expect nothing more from Sox fans!

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

I don't wish injury on any current Yankees. I just wish them to be slightly worse than the Sox.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I like your write ups Jacko. Although I'm disappointed when every player doesn't become a star like you portray them

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I like your write ups Jacko. Although I'm disappointed when every player doesn't become a star like you portray them
    If you have followed my thoughts on the draft the past decade or so, you know I have hated more than half our first rounders. Hated Bleich, Heathcott, Culver, Bichette, Kaprielian, Holder, Rutherford, Seigler and Volpe. Kaprielian has finally turned it around. Volpe has been way better than I thought.
    Hal sucks

It's in the Yankees forum. What's the problem?
    I don't know. Woke up feeling grumpy today I guess

I don't know. Woke up feeling grumpy today I guess
    You shouldn't feel grumpy this morning--we just drafted Marcelo Mayer. I feel more alive this morning than ever before!

2. Brendan Beck- RHP Stanford
    4 pitch mix, sits 90-92, tops out 94. Average curve, slider and change. Impeccable command.

While I don’t hate the player, I hate the value. He’s a high floor player drafted in the second round after reaching a bit for a hitter in the first round. I thought the Yanks would have saved some money on round one and gone for a high ceiling guy/more expensive player in round 2, but they didn’t. Beck is a senior, so he has literally no financial leverage.

3. Brock Selvidge- LHP HS
    Good frame, flashed power with a fastball upwards of 96. Best secondary offering is a good slider. Curve and change are works in process. This kid is the higher upside player, although still considered somewhat of a reach. With his frame and his age, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s sitting in the 95-96 range and topping out close to 100 as he fills out.

4. Cooper Bowman 2B Kentucky U
    Good hitter, average power, blazing speed. Already filled out his smaller frame. Arm is a minus, so he’s likely confined to 2b or CF. I like this pick. I like good hitters first and this one comes with reasonable power and speed. Biggest knock is defense and the fact that he’s limited long term in his positioning

5. Tyler Hardman 1B Oklahoma U
    I asked for hitters and this kid is a hitter, pretty much only. Slow as shit, likely to end up relegated to 1B or a poor man’s LF. But the kid can mash. Big 12 batting champ. Hit 8 homers on the cape in 2019. Kid has plus raw power, advanced pitch recognition and plus hit tool. He fell because he is almost certainly going to end up as a 1b.

Signed or will sign 9 of their first 10 picks. Currently $670K below slot right now
    Hal sucks