Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: trade deadline

trade deadline

Being that the deadline is approaching quickly... who might the names be on the move and who are we targeting? Do we find a 1B ( Schoop, Rizzo) or find another arm to help the rotation. Big splash in Max or play it safe and with a smaller contract and get the bat and smaller contract pitcher.

They don't go for Rizzo.

They may look for a lower rung starter to help ease the innings (Jake Peavy).
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

I'd like to see us trade for a salary dump pitcher, so the return package does not have to be much. Just keep the budget below the tax line. When Sale returns, Perez and Richards replace 2 from Workman, Rios and Andriese.

I doubt we add a 1Bman, but if we do it will be a very low profile deal.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd like to see us trade for a salary dump pitcher, so the return package does not have to be much. Just keep the budget below the tax line. When Sale returns, Perez and Richards replace 2 from Workman, Rios and Andriese.

I doubt we add a 1Bman, but if we do it will be a very low profile deal.
    It maybe easier to find an outfielder/infielder and move Kike to 1B. If we trade for an average 1B, we're basically stuck with him and he'll get the bats that he may not deserve....

Arroyo going to IL has screwed things up. I'm inclined to go with the lineup we had when Arroyo got hurt. Just change positions. I think you've said it before, turn Kike into a super utility guy that plays every day, just at different positions.

Time to go big was at the beginning of 2021 and not on July 31, 2021.

Sox took calculated risks and for most part it has paid off.

Locking up couple of players will be expensive.

I think we'll extend E Rod, start the conversation on Dever's extension and maybe rework Xander's contract this winter. Sox likes Eovaldi and JD also. It'll be expensive without really adding new talent.

That means 'fringe' players making any money will be considered for trade, etc. Richards, Martin and Ottavino (obviously he's not a fringe pitcher) comes to mind.

We only get relief from Pedey's contract this year and Price's contract next year. I doubt we let JD go. We have no replacement and he's one of our top 3 hitters. We can't afford to lose Devers, Xander and JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It maybe easier to find an outfielder/infielder and move Kike to 1B. If we trade for an average 1B, we're basically stuck with him and he'll get the bats that he may not deserve....

Arroyo going to IL has screwed things up. I'm inclined to go with the lineup we had when Arroyo got hurt. Just change positions. I think you've said it before, turn Kike into a super utility guy that plays every day, just at different positions.
    1Bmen are a dime a dozen, and all we need is a 2 month rental.

Kike is too good of a defensive player to stick at 1B, long term.

I'm okay with playing him there, so Duran can play, but it should not be the plan.

Sox took calculated risks and for most part it has paid off.

Locking up couple of players will be expensive.

I think we'll extend E Rod, start the conversation on Dever's extension and maybe rework Xander's contract this winter. Sox likes Eovaldi and JD also. It'll be expensive without really adding new talent.

That means 'fringe' players making any money will be considered for trade, etc. Richards, Martin and Ottavino (obviously he's not a fringe pitcher) comes to mind.

We only get relief from Pedey's contract this year and Price's contract next year. I doubt we let JD go. We have no replacement and he's one of our top 3 hitters. We can't afford to lose Devers, Xander and JD.
    The problem with replacing JD's bat is that extending JD might not really "replace" this production. He is due to decline- any minute, now.

I'd love to extend him, but at what cost?

I'm not sure ERod is the best pitching option for 2022 and beyond, either. I love the guy, but there are still questions (as with any FA signing).

Extending Bogey and Devers has to be a priority.

Ottavino is a FA, so trading him, next winter is impossible.

Richards has a big option, so I'm not sure any team wants him at that cost. The rest of 2021 may change that.

Perez has a decent option, but I think we keep him as a long man. We lose Richards and ERod, and add a FA, Sale & Whitlock to the rotation. (I think we keep Houck as the long man- spot starter.)

At no time during 2021, do I feel was or will be "the time to go big," unless we are talking December 2021.

Bloom isn't trading good prospects for a Rizzo when Casas could be ready sometime in 2022. The Sox might add a Moreland type to the Dalbec-Santana-Marwin platoon. No way Kike is playing first; he's decent in center and Cora loves him at second.

The Sox will shoot for a good starting pitcher or at least an innings eater, but the main resources will be used to acquire an established bullpen arm; they can't rely on Richards or Perez converting to a new role. But it won't be Kimbrel; not when Richard Rodriquez makes a tenth of Cardiac Craig's salary...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Bloom isn't trading good prospects for a Rizzo when Casas could be ready sometime in 2022. The Sox might add a Moreland type to the Dalbec-Santana-Marwin platoon. No way Kike is playing first; he's decent in center and Cora loves him at second.

The Sox will shoot for a good starting pitcher or at least an innings eater, but the main resources will be used to acquire an established bullpen arm; they can't rely on Richards or Perez converting to a new role. But it won't be Kimbrel; not when Richard Rodriquez makes a tenth of Cardiac Craig's salary...
    We don't have much budget space, so we may just get one decent player, which to me should be a SP'er, or two lower cost players (P + P or P + 1B).

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    1Bmen are a dime a dozen, and all we need is a 2 month rental.
    So who do we spend that 8/10 of a penny on?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Huh?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I see something like Ward, Potts and Chavis for Jon Gray and CJ Chron.

I'm not sure Danny Duffy has recovered from his injury after a great start.

There are other low-return package SP'ers and RP'ers out there, mostly salary dump types that make just enough to keep us under the taxline.

1Bmen are very low cost. There may be 5-6 on Bloom's radar.

We could also go for a pen arm, but I doubt we give up much or end up over the tax line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Jesus Aguilar.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Jesus Aguilar.
    That would give us 2 Christians and Jesus.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.