Register now to remove this ad

Page 25 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: trade deadline

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I think the media pundits don't know much. If you throw enough pooh against the wall, some will and there guys will claim they were clairvoyant. Not so.

I still hope the Sox get Trey Mancini although I realize it is highly unlikely, since he is in the AL East now. With Arroyo coming back and Verdugo hitting again, we only have a real need at 1st base.

I also think Richards could be traded to make way for Houck and Sale in the starting rotation and to help fund picking up a quality relief arm and a first baseman.
    I do think people overplay the “division rival” card. It actually makes more sense for teams like Baltimore to build their farm system by deleting the system of the Sox simultaneously.

But Mancini is some sort of cult hero among Orioles’ fans. Not sure why. He’s good but he’s not great. He did have that whole cancer episode, which might be why.

But for whatever reason, he’s not coming to Boston. Which is unfortunate…

Legend
    Assuming we pickup a FT first baseman in trade and we have Arroyo back to fill in on a regular basis to rest players and to allow favorable lefty/righty matchups, who should the 2 remaining utility players on the active roster be? I assume we will keep Duran in the lineup in some capacity since his speed is valuable and his hitting may come along. We currently have Cordero, Chavis, Gonzalez, Santana as obious possibilities.

I could see us getting Santana. Someone like Cron might be a fall back.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Assuming we pickup a FT first baseman in trade and we have Arroyo back to fill in on a regular basis to rest players and to allow favorable lefty/righty matchups, who should the 2 remaining utility players on the active roster be? I assume we will keep Duran in the lineup in some capacity since his speed is valuable and his hitting may come along. We currently have Cordero, Chavis, Gonzalez, Santana as obious possibilities.
    Actually it’s very possible Duran returns to Worcester for a big chunk of August…

Marwin is Cora's guy. That's who it will be, assuming he's healthy.

Depending on 12 or 13 pitchers, our bench will be:

Plawecki
    Arroyo or Duran (the other starts)
    Marwin

If we go 4 bench players, I think it will likely be Santana, but I'd prefer Cordero then Chavis.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Actually it’s very possible Duran returns to Worcester for a big chunk of August…
    I'm not sure Marwin and Arroyo will be back in August. I think both need to return to possibly squeeze Duran out.

Cordero is Bloom's guy, and he's looking better. I wouldn't rule out the possibility it's a Cordero/Dalbec platoon at first and no trade.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

If they're all healthy, it will be Marwin for his reliable defensive versatility and veteran experience. The other three are lesser defenders (though Chavis has improved this go-round).

Let's say we have Arroyo healthy and do not trade for a 1Bman. We might see this rotation.

(Bogey needs some time off to heal his wrist.)

Vaz & Plawecki catch
    JD, Renfroe, Devers and Dugo play FT (maybe get a rest every 15-20 games.)

That leaves this:
    1B: Dalbec 4-5 of 10 games, Kike 5-6 of 10
    2B: Arroyo 8 of 10, Kike 2 of 10
    CF: Duran 8 of 10, Kike 2 of 10
    SS: Bogey 8 of 10 for a while, then back to FT/ Arroyo or Kike at SS 2 of 10 games.

Basically everyone but Dalbec plays 8-9 games out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    If they're all healthy, it will be Marwin for his reliable defensive versatility and veteran experience. The other three are lesser defenders (though Chavis has improved this go-round).
    Chavis actually looked good on defense in 2020, too, but Marwin will beat him out, when healthy.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Cordero is Bloom's guy, and he's looking better. I wouldn't rule out the possibility it's a Cordero/Dalbec platoon at first and no trade.
    Entirely possible. I'd just counter that the Sox have been running out the worst 1B position in the bigs this season - so upgrading that position to even average would have an outsized impact. There might just be too many holes in his swing for Dalbec to be a reliable regular.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Entirely possible. I'd just counter that the Sox have been running out the worst 1B position in the bigs this season - so upgrading that position to even average would have an outsized impact. There might just be too many holes in his swing for Dalbec to be a reliable regular.
    Picking and choosing when Dalbec plays could help a lot. Cordero or even Kike can play 1B, when Bobby Dee sits.

I do think we trade for a cheap 1Bman, and Chavis gets traded or demoted.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Possible, but I'd say unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure Marwin and Arroyo will be back in August. I think both need to return to possibly squeeze Duran out.
    Possibly, although a new 1B could also contribute. Especially if they get a LHH platoon partner for Dalbec.

It also doesn't help Duran that Cordero has been hitting better these last few games...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Possible, but I'd say unlikely.
    I wouldn't call it unlikely. Heck, even Mike Trout went back down for a while after his first call up. If it's only for 2 to 3 weeks, it would help avoid a crunch on the roster...