Register now to remove this ad

Page 133 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2075

Thread: trade deadline

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    In four years with the Sox , Price went 46-24. He was paid a boatload of money. In five years with the Sox , Sale has gone 40-24. He was , and is, being paid a boatload of money . He also cost Moncada and Kopech. Now , I know that wins and losses can be deceiving . And by no means am I saying that Price is as good a pitcher as Sale. But how is one contract that much better than the other ?
    You see, if you like the player then the contract is worth it. If you don't like the player, the contract is never worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You see, if you like the player then the contract is worth it. If you don't like the player, the contract is never worth it.
    Yup. That is pretty much what I was suggesting.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Yup. That is pretty much what I was suggesting.
    And it's exactly why some people continue to complain about Price's contract years later.

I actually liked Price. I knew we paid too much, but at the time I said something like, "He is the kind of pitcher you wait years for." I liked his competitive nature. He always seemed to pitch well versus us.

I don't think he had any attitude issues or work ethic issues, so it didn't really bother me all that much, when he went out hurt or underperformed my own expectations, which I admit were high. But as I said, I thought we overpaid to begin with and was for the signings, so I was okay with it.

I liked him but still think he did not earn that amount of money. We basically paid him $38M x 4 years.

Papi made a third of that most of his ring years, here.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I actually liked Price. I knew we paid too much, but at the time I said something like, "He is the kind of pitcher you wait years for." I liked his competitive nature. He always seemed to pitch well versus us.

I don't think he had any attitude issues or work ethic issues, so it didn't really bother me all that much, when he went out hurt or underperformed my own expectations, which I admit were high. But as I said, I thought we overpaid to begin with and was for the signings, so I was okay with it.

I liked him but still think he did not earn that amount of money. We basically paid him $38M x 4 years.

They overpaid for Price because they had such a desperate need for a #1 starter at the time.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Bad comparison.

If you said Papi made half as much as Price did in 2016, Papi's last year and Price's first with us, that would be a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    They overpaid for Price because they had such a desperate need for a #1 starter at the time.
    Yes, and as much as I knew it was an overpay, I still felt it had to be done, AND if it had to be done, Price was the type of guy you get.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I like what both of them have done for the franchise, Dave and Bloom that is.

But maybe the real genius is Henry? You can't draw it up any better than replacing Dave with Bloom at that point in time.
    IMO, Dave should have never been hired. Ben should have been left alone to finish what he started.

That said, had Dave not been hired, we might currently not have Bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, Dave should have never been hired. Ben should have been left alone to finish what he started.

That said, had Dave not been hired, we might currently not have Bloom.
    It has all worked out remarkably well considering the number of changes.

I've been saying I think we will go large, this winter or next, but maybe it will not be like the Price deal. I see a few other scenarios:

1) A deal like Scherzer, Greinke or Verlander for large and short.
    2) Two $15-20M deals for 3-5 years.
    3) Four $10M deals- hopefully better than the Richards' deal.
    4) Some sort of mix and match.

I can't see him continually signing 10 guys to between $3 and $10M, every year. For one, we don't have enough roster slots for him to do that even one more year (this winter). With a bigger budget, he's almost forced to step out of his previous philosophy.

One can look at his 3 biggest deals, last winter, he swung and missed twice (Richards & Perez). He hit big with Kike. If you count Ottavino's trade as a big deal, he was 1 for 4.

Out of his next biggest deals, he went 1 for 3, again. Renfroe- hit, Andriese- miss, Marwin

The next 2? Sawamura- OK and Santana- miss.

One could argue, he shouldn't focus on FA signings, but I guess the Beni trade is not viewed as a winner, yet.

Getting Pivetta, last summer, Whitlock with Rule 5, Schwarber and others mid season and the Kike-Renfroe signings were big keys, but there were a lot of misses alog the way, too.
    I think he'll eventually sign a player to a big contract, but I'm not talking Mookie Betts territory. Maybe 6 or 7 years for a position player. That said, I'd be perfectly happy if he continued to sign the Kike's and the Renfroe's of the world. Those are my kind of moves.

Overall, DD did a very good job. If the owner's didn't tighten up the purse strings, he'd be seen in a more favorable light.
    Yikes.

Thank goodness the owners did tighten up the purse strings.

Yeah, it was a fun narrative for some folks to say he left us with nothing but scorched earth.
    Not a scorched team, but a scorched farm and a scorched budget.

One year of Bloom and we no longer had to mortgage our future. I think that says that DD left the org with a ton of pieces.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Not a scorched team, but a scorched farm and a scorched budget.
    Yet here we are. Bloom has done a great job, but things weren't in terrible shape.

Not a big fan of generalization...What the fuck is 'boatload of money"?

Chris Sale
    2017 $12.0M
    2018 $12.5M
    2019 $15.0M

David Price
    2016 $30.0M
    2017 $30.0M
    2018 $30.0M
    2019 $31.0M

If David Price was paid a boatload of money, then Chris Sale was not. For Sale, Sox inherited team friendly contract from White Sox. One can argue the extension so far has not worked well for Red Sox but the original contract assumed was team friendly.

Giving up Kopech and Moncarda are another issue.....since they were only making league minimum, not sure we were paying boatload of money to Chris Sale. White Sox may still come ahead on the deal.

Get your numbers straight.
    Last edited by Nick; 10-18-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?