Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleveland Guardians?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    NFL team names aren't trademarked. It's fair game. Giants, Cardinals, etc...
    Jets…

Being a word freak, I find it interesting that the name change swapped 'In' for 'Guar'.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Being a word freak, I find it interesting that the name change swapped 'In' for 'Guar'.
    Saves on printing costs for the new uniforms…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Saves on printing costs for the new uniforms…
    Logo is very similar as well. Marketing team is channeling their inner Moneyball
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I think it's a stupid name.

In this day & age, it's worse than lame.

I think "Rock" or "Rockers" would have been much better, but I'm sure there could have been an even better one.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I think it's a stupid name.

In this day & age, it's worse than lame.

I think "Rock" or "Rockers" would have been much better, but I'm sure there could have been an even better one.
    Well, wait until the Washington Football Team finds a way to crawl under the new bar. Will they go with my suggestion of "Washington Scandals"? Of course not!! In fact, I will lay money down in Vegas (with odds!) that their new name, which has taken longer to come up with, will be much, much less popular than the somewhat neutral Guardians...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Logo is very similar as well. Marketing team is channeling their inner Moneyball
    They might want to remove the red coloring from the face. It defeats the entire purpose of the change...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Well, wait until the Washington Football Team finds a way to crawl under the new bar. Will they go with my suggestion of "Washington Scandals"? Of course not!! In fact, I will lay money down in Vegas (with odds!) that their new name, which has taken longer to come up with, will be much, much less popular than the somewhat neutral Guardians...
    How's this: the Washington Inclusives?

Gargoyles is better than Guards, but the bridge statues are too handsome, plus if the club is bad, they'd be called ugly, like their record, or shortened to Goyles, which morphs into Ghouls (too ghastly) or Girls (too sexist or gender-specific... which makes you wonder: when do the Dallas CowBOYS need to change their name to something more neutral? Cowpoke? Cowfolk... Cowabungas?)

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Gargoyles is better than Guards, but the bridge statues are too handsome, plus if the club is bad, they'd be called ugly, like their record, or shortened to Goyles, which morphs into Ghouls (too ghastly) or Girls (too sexist or gender-specific... which makes you wonder: when do the Dallas CowBOYS need to change their name to something more neutral? Cowpoke? Cowfolk... Cowabungas?)
    Cowfolk or Cowpersons it would have to be.

Well...

Since Moses Cleaveland cheated the the poor Massagoes Tribe out of the land, and they were too cheap to fit an extra a on the sign for the new town / city... not to mention the fact that Cleaveland was a carpetbagger from Connecticut...

They really need to change the name to the "Massagoes Guardians?" Either spring for the extra a and spell the City name correctly, or change the name of the city to those who originally "owned it."

Funny how as we're all getting Woke up, we tend to miss out on the big ironies.
    Last edited by Sox75; 07-24-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Nope! Forget it! Then we'd have to change from Boston Red Sox to "Botwulf’s tun Red Stockings."

Let's just leave it alone and let them have the Cleveland Guardians. Keep quiet & let this all pass.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The Dallas Cheap Foreign Agricultural Labor Force?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Not crazy about the name, but understand that almost all of the really cool or viable names are already taken by some pro or semi-pro team in some sport somewhere. Even Guardians was already being used by the local roller derby side.

The logo and the C really, really suck. Why couldn't they keep the block C?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.