Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 204 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part III

Hybrid View

A Realistic View at 2021: Part III

The trade deadline has come and gone. We added Schwarber and scraps. His best position is LF or DH, and that was not our highest need areas, in fact, it might have been our lowest need area. Don't get me wrong, I like the trade, especially if he can play 1B.

We did not trade away much of our farm or meaningful vets.

I'll leave the talk about 2022 for later, but here is how I see our 26 man roster shaping up, when all is healthy.

1. Kike CF
    2. Verdugo LF
    3. Bogey SS
    4. JD DH
    5. Devers 3B
    6. Schwarber 1B
    7. Renfroe RF
    8. Arroyo 2B
    9. Vazquez C

10-13 Bench (4):
    Plawecki
    Duran
    Marwin
    Dalbec

14-18 SP'ers (5):
    Eovaldi
    Sale
    ERod
    Pivetta
    Perez

19-26 RP'ers (8):
    Barnes
    Ottavino
    Whitlock
    Houck
    Taylor
    DHern
    Sawamura
    Valdez (Richards DFA?)

(DFA: Santana & Andriese)

Go SOX!

Link to Part II

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...t-2021-Part-II
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-30-2021 at 05:50 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I don't understand the idea of not pitching Houck for 8-9 days. Why is he missing his turn? Better yet, why can't he stay on the roster and pitch multiple innings?
    Last edited by Nick; 07-30-2021 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't understand the idea of not pitching Houck for 8-9 days. Why is he missing his turn? Better yet, why can't he stay on the roster and pitch multiple innings?
    It's like we are clinging to hopes on some of our starters that are fading quickly or already extinguished.

I get the idea of keeping as many options on teh table for as long as possible, but the "possible time" is here and now.

Our rotation is in shambles. There is no sugar coating it. Shambles.

Eovaldi is the only sure bet.

I'm thrilled and excited about Sale's return, but all year I've said we shouldn't count on anything from him. That has not changed.

ERod was showing good signs for 6 straight starts, then the head ache and implosion. Now, those hopes are waining.

Pivetta seems to be the best hope of the next 3, but he's been a mess, too.

Perez was doing a hell of a job, but his recent sample size of crap is no longer small. He's a mess.

Richards is our poster boy for "Shambles." I wouldn't blink if we DFA'd him.

I love Houck in the pen, but the rotation takes precedent.

I had hopes when they said they were stretching out Whitlock, but that ain't happening.

We are stuck with what we got, so yes, why not use Houck instead of Richards?

Our pen is still very good without Houck, and Sawamura should be back, soon, right?
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-30-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's like we are clinging to hopes on some of our starters that are fading quickly or already extinguished.

I get the idea of keeping as many options on teh table for as long as possible, but the "possible time" is here and now.

Our rotation is in shambles. There is no sugar coating it. Shambles.

Eovaldi is the only sure bet.

I'm thrilled and excited about Sale's return, but all year I've said we shouldn't count on anything from him. That has not changed.

ERod was showing good signs for 6 straight starts, then the head ache and implosion. Now, those hopes are waining.

Pivetta seems to be the best hope of the next 3, but he's been a mess, too.

Perez was doing a hell of a job, but his recent sample size of crap is no longer small. He's a mess.

Richards is our poster boy for "Shambles." I wouldn't blink if we DFA'd him.

I love Houck in the pen, but the rotation takes precedent.

I had hopes when they said they were stretching out Whitlock, but that ain't happening.

We are stuck with what we got, so yes, why not use Houck instead of Richards?

Our pen is still very good without Houck, and Sawamura should be back, soon, right?
    I agree with your assessment of our starting pitching. It puts a lot of pressure on Eovaldi. If we face top level pitching when he starts, we could be held down in runs. Notice that JDM is struggling now and both Arroyo and Schwaber are around two weeks away, maybe more. I really wonder if Schwaber can be effective at 1st. Maybe he can give JDM a rest. I hope there is more said about our lack of performance in the trade market. We did very little to help ourselves. What were the reasons we didn't compete?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I agree with your assessment of our starting pitching. It puts a lot of pressure on Eovaldi. If we face top level pitching when he starts, we could be held down in runs. Notice that JDM is struggling now and both Arroyo and Schwaber are around two weeks away, maybe more. I really wonder if Schwaber can be effective at 1st. Maybe he can give JDM a rest. I hope there is more said about our lack of performance in the trade market. We did very little to help ourselves. What were the reasons we didn't compete?
    The cost was too high.

The cost was too high.
    Based on his own comments, I believe Bloom was told to respect the Lux Tax limits since this roster is not strong enough to carry them far beyond early October

Deity
    The cost was too high.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah I had asked this question earlier and not sure I got a response. Why don't they just plug Houck into the rotation? I'm also glad they did not gut the farm for quick fixes, stick with the plan and what happens this fall is a bonus.

Question: What are the chances that JD opts out? In a weird way is it good that he has regressed instead of having a monster season in that regard? Or is JD's reputation kind of set in stone?

I believe Sawamura was activated for tonight's game.

This starting staff is starting to shape up like the 2011 staff that collapsed in September. I think that is where they are heading, but it will happen a month earlier so it will not hurt as much. I guess we can hope that Chris Sale returns as 2017 Chris Sale. But is that realistic?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This starting staff is starting to shape up like the 2011 staff that collapsed in September. I think that is where they are heading, but it will happen a month earlier so it will not hurt as much. I guess we can hope that Chris Sale returns as 2017 Chris Sale. But is that realistic?
    I've read that many pitchers who have returned from TJ surgery actually found an increase in their velocity. I know that was the case for Eovaldi.

If Sale is not at least 80% vintage Sale we are done.

80% Sale
    Eovaldi
    Houck
    Pivetta/Rodriguez

This is a rotation that can keep us in most games IMHO.

Our real strength is at pen. If these guys keep us in games through five innings (I think most of the times have happened this season), we have a legit shot in POs.

I give Bloom and Cora the benefit of the doubt. Thus far they have made a tremendous job with a subpar team.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Sometimes, it's almost like you root for things like this to happen.

Sale will give this team a ton of swag back that’s a fact .Boogey man don’t give no Fucks .

Legend
    The trade deadline has come and gone. We added Schwarber and scraps. His best position is LF or DH, and that was not our highest need areas, in fact, it might have been our lowest need area. Don't get me wrong, I like the trade, especially if he can play 1B.

We did not trade away much of our farm or meaningful vets.

I'll leave the talk about 2022 for later, but here is how I see our 26 man roster shaping up, when all is healthy.

1. Kike CF
    2. Verdugo LF
    3. Bogey SS
    4. JD DH
    5. Devers 3B
    6. Schwarber 1B
    7. Renfroe RF
    8. Arroyo 2B
    9. Vazquez C

10-13 Bench (4):
    Plawecki
    Duran
    Marwin
    Dalbec

14-18 SP'ers (5):
    Eovaldi
    Sale
    ERod
    Pivetta
    Perez

19-26 RP'ers (8):
    Barnes
    Ottavino
    Whitlock
    Houck
    Taylor
    DHern
    Sawamura
    Valdez (Richards DFA?)

(DFA: Santana & Andriese)

Go SOX!

Link to Part II

https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...t-2021-Part-II
    Do you know where we are at this point against the CBT. We lost Chavis but picked up Schwaber and Robles? I am hoping we stayed below the limit.