Register now to remove this ad

Page 142 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2232

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part I

  1. #2116
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    33,353
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Honestly, I'm curious whether he would have gotten trapped in that massive stupid outbreak that was the real chair shot to the team's division chances.
    I'm not sure the COVID outbreak had much effect on the team's record. They were playing badly before it started.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  2. #2117
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    48,903
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    No, because Kimbrel fell apart the last time we had him for a stretch run and was overpriced.
    Exactly why spending a lot of resources (money and prospects in trade) for RP'ers is almost always a huge gamble.
    Sox 4 Ever

  3. #2118
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47,074
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Exactly why spending a lot of resources (money and prospects in trade) for RP'ers is almost always a huge gamble.
    Spend it on the right guys, duh...

  4. #2119
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    33,353
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Spend it on the right guys, duh...
    Much easier said than done.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  5. #2120
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Much easier said than done.
    No, when you order just hit the red easy button.

  6. #2121
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    48,903
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Spend it on the right guys, duh...
    Even the mastermind genius, Bloom has had a very hard time finding RP'ers that can help on a consistent basis.

    If you want, I can provide a list of over 30 RP'ers Bloom tried over the last 2 years, most were acquired by him.

    He spent rather big on Ottavino, and just gave Barnes an extension. Andriese & Sawamura were a couple he signed for more than the min, this past winter.

    Looking at who we can trust going into 2022, I'm not seeing much, especially if we move Houck & Whitlock to the rotation.

    A lot of luck will be needed.
    Sox 4 Ever

  7. #2122
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47,074
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Even the mastermind genius, Bloom has had a very hard time finding RP'ers that can help on a consistent basis.

    If you want, I can provide a list of over 30 RP'ers Bloom tried over the last 2 years, most were acquired by him.

    He spent rather big on Ottavino, and just gave Barnes an extension. Andriese & Sawamura were a couple he signed for more than the min, this past winter.

    Looking at who we can trust going into 2022, I'm not seeing much, especially if we move Houck & Whitlock to the rotation.

    A lot of luck will be needed.
    Barnes will be good next year. One of Houck and Whitlock will stay in the pen. Feltman will be called up.

    Opening day bullpen of Whitlock, Barnes, Brasier, Taylor, Davis, DHern, Sawamura, Feltman/Bazardo/Valdez isn't the worst thing in the world (and basically resembles what we have now), but I'd rather bring in some new blood. Davis, DHern and Sawamura are expendable.

  8. #2123
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    48,903
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Barnes will be good next year. One of Houck and Whitlock will stay in the pen. Feltman will be called up.

    Opening day bullpen of Whitlock, Barnes, Brasier, Taylor, Davis, DHern, Sawamura, Feltman/Bazardo/Valdez isn't the worst thing in the world (and basically resembles what we have now), but I'd rather bring in some new blood. Davis, DHern and Sawamura are expendable.
    I'd rather we stock up the rotation and keep Houck and Whitlock in the pen.

    I feel better about them than any los cost FA signings.
    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #2124
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47,074
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd rather we stock up the rotation and keep Houck and Whitlock in the pen.

    I feel better about them than any los cost FA signings.
    Rays have consistently had starters only go 4-5 innings and have been a very good team. Wonder if Bloom goes that way. Can either push Houck and Whitlock to that role or keep them as the important multi inning reliever role that McHugh excelled in this year.

  10. #2125
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    33,353
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Rays have consistently had starters only go 4-5 innings and have been a very good team. Wonder if Bloom goes that way. Can either push Houck and Whitlock to that role or keep them as the important multi inning reliever role that McHugh excelled in this year.
    Yes, pitching is a whole new game now, and the Rays have been at the forefront.

    The Rays might also be an example of how you have to be careful not to out-clever yourself, as Cash may have done with McClanahan in Game 4, bringing him in in the 3rd. I was re-watching some of Game 4 last night and it was almost comical how much Smoltz talked about McClanahan being taken out of his routine and how that might affect him adversely.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  11. #2126
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    25,762
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd rather we stock up the rotation and keep Houck and Whitlock in the pen.

    I feel better about them than any los cost FA signings.
    While I agree with that plan, I would be surprised if it happened....

  12. #2127
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    25,762
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Barnes will be good next year. One of Houck and Whitlock will stay in the pen. Feltman will be called up.

    Opening day bullpen of Whitlock, Barnes, Brasier, Taylor, Davis, DHern, Sawamura, Feltman/Bazardo/Valdez isn't the worst thing in the world (and basically resembles what we have now), but I'd rather bring in some new blood. Davis, DHern and Sawamura are expendable.
    Te only one that might be worth anything to someone in a trade is Hernandez, because he has a ridiculous triple-digit fastball and 5 years of control.

    The downside is all he can do with that fastball is walk people at 100mph...

  13. #2128
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The downside is all he can do with that fastball is walk people at 100mph...
    ... or if he's conservative, drill his batter in the kneecap with it.

  14. #2129
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    47,074
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Te only one that might be worth anything to someone in a trade is Hernandez, because he has a ridiculous triple-digit fastball and 5 years of control.

    The downside is all he can do with that fastball is walk people at 100mph...
    Maybe he can become Joe Kelly? IDK.

  15. #2130
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    48,903
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    While I agree with that plan, I would be surprised if it happened....
    Me, too.

    Starters are more expensive, and you don't always "get it right" with them, either. (We spent $10M on Richards.)

    If I had to guess, I'd say Houck is the closer, Barnes the number 2 or 3. We sign one solid RP'er and a bunch of guys like Rios and Robles.

    We move Whitlock to the rotation- maybe our #3 or 4, depending on ERod's situation, but I still hope we sign a #2, at worst, even if ERod returns.
    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •