Register now to remove this ad

Page 272 of 307 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 4598

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    But this thread is supposed to be realistic.
    The A's are seriously looking at reducing spending. I know they like the fact that Montas has 2 years, and they'd prefer to trade Bassit ot Manaea, but dumping Piscotty would be a big thing for them.

Us paying $14M of JBJ's deal makes him cheaper than Piscotty, and they can trade him much more easily, with the cost reduction.

All this being said, I think the A's hang up without even a rebuttal.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Here's some numbers that were interesting, given that there will be the usual uniformed comments by the unwashed masses of fans complaining about the arrogant , millionaire ballplayers :

1. Average salary peaked in 2017 at about $4.1 million, but declined to $3.7 million in 2021. Even this is deceptive about "millionaire" ballplayers because:

2. 1397 of a total of 1955 players who were under a MLB contract during 2021 at any point, earned less than $1 million, and 1,271 of those were under $600,000. Despite the MLB minimum, 332 individuals earned less than $100K due to limited time at MLB level, bouncing back and forth from MiLB to the Show.

3. 112 players earned above $10 million and 40 of those exceeded $20 million, including signing bonuses.

So you can say that about 5% of MLB players have reached the big time , but the large majority are not exorbitantly ahead of the game . Doing very well for kids in their 20's but it lasts only a limited period in a 75 year lifetime.
    I would add that we know there's still a ton of money in the game, since the Texas Rangers just invested $500 million in 2 players.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

So, the lockout kills the hot stove season. There wouldn’t seem to be any compelling financial reason for this to end anytime soon.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people dont buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The A's are seriously looking at reducing spending. I know they like the fact that Montas has 2 years, and they'd prefer to trade Bassit ot Manaea, but dumping Piscotty would be a big thing for them.

Us paying $14M of JBJ's deal makes him cheaper than Piscotty, and they can trade him much more easily, with the cost reduction.

All this being said, I think the A's hang up without even a rebuttal.

One could argue that none of the Red Sox transactions thus far this season would have seemed realistic (or at least likely) in October.

One could argue that none of the Red Sox transactions thus far this season would have seemed realistic (or at least likely) in October.
    I disagree. Bloom has done things very similar to what he did last offseason. And I have to give Old Red his due on this point, because Kennedy apparently did pretty much say they would be continuing with the same approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I disagree. Bloom has done things very similar to what he did last offseason. And I have to give Old Red his due on this point, because Kennedy apparently did pretty much say they would be continuing with the same approach.
    Was the reported finalist on Baez a mirage?
    Sox 4 Ever

It might be a long time before we get anything new to talk about.

This work stoppage sucks.

I've been losing my love for MLB- not the Red Sox- but almost everything else having to do with MLB.

I barely watched more than 2 innings of this year's WS.

A long work stoppage won't effect my love of the Sox, but I might totally write off the rest of MLB.
    Sox 4 Ever

We can agree on couple of things.

Bloom is building for long term while competing to get into the playoffs. As such, he will not trade away highly thought of prospects. Someone mentioned Nick Yorke as a trade candidate. No way in hell will Bloom trade him. They thought they found a diamond in the rough type of player, surprising many experts when Sox drafted Yorke in the first round. Casas hell no. Last year Bloom stated that Duran has chance to become great. I seriously doubt he's already done a 180 in less than a year. (of course Moon's response was well what else is he going to say). Show me another Bloom quote, "he has chance to be great".

Bloom is risk adverse when it comes to financial dealings. Say what you will about Richards signing, no one will claim Sox got devastated by that contract. I absolutely love signings of Wacha, Hill and Paxton. Majority on this board, unlike me, wants to keep Houck/Whitlock in the pen. Well you got your wish. But you're still unhappy.

We have an opening day lineup regardless of acquiring another player. Obviously Bloom's main focus will be strengthening the bullpen going forward.

Bloom is a Goodwill shopper. Sometimes you do find a good value at that store. You can't go wrong paying $4.99 for an article of clothing. You don't like it, you just throw it away.
    Last edited by Nick; 12-04-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    Up 2-1 with 2 home games remaining for ACL Championship. I will always return that spot.

Was the reported finalist on Baez a mirage?
    No idea about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We can agree on couple of things.

Bloom is building for long term while competing to get into the playoffs. As such, he will not trade away highly thought of prospects. Someone mentioned Nick Yorke as a trade candidate. No way in hell will Bloom trade him. They thought they found a diamond in the rough type of player, surprising many experts when Sox drafted Yorke in the first round. Casas hell no. Last year Bloom stated that Duran has chance to become great. I seriously doubt he's already done a 180 in less than a year. (of course Moon's response was well what else is he going to say). Show me another Bloom quote, "he has chance to be great".

Bloom is risk adverse when it comes to financial dealings. Say what you will about Richards signing, no one will claim Sox got devastated by that contract. I absolutely love signings of Wacha, Hill and Paxton. Majority on this board, unlike me, wants to keep Houck/Whitlock in the pen. Well you got your wish. But you're still unhappy.

We have an opening day lineup regardless of acquiring another player. Obviously Bloom's main focus will be strengthening the bullpen going forward.

Bloom is a Goodwill shopper. Sometimes you do find a good value at that store. You can't go wrong paying $4.99 for an article of clothing. You don't like it, you just throw it away.
    I'm not so sure Bloom is 100% against trading prospects. He traded a promising one for Schwarber.

He may look at duplicate values and choose one to ride and one to trade.

For a while I was thinking about trading Downs or Duran. Now, I'm not si sure.

Yorke may be our 2Bman and Downs our SS of the future. (Mayer is likely too far away to factor in trade choices between Yorke/Downs. Plus, the Downs is at a low stock point has merit, too.

With Renfroe gone, Duran has moved up into a position to play more, assuming he earns the slot.

Maybe some far away team values Mata and or Ward and can wait, but what can they fetch, unless as add on to someone better.

I'm thinking a Casas or Dalbec choice could be made, but I doubt we are ready to put all our eggs in the Casas basket for opening day.

Maybe not trading prospects is more about needing to wait it out, at least to the deadline, than any great feeling of hording prospects.

He's added enough prospects where he can trade 1 or 2 and still be on a sharp upward slope on farm-building.

Let's see.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Last year Bloom stated that Duran has chance to become great. I seriously doubt he's already done a 180 in less than a year. (of course Moon's response was well what else is he going to say). Show me another Bloom quote, "he has chance to be great".
    Here's more:

July 7, 2021

"I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that we can pinpoint exactly when somebody is ready. I think there's a little bit of art, little bit of feel to this and also a lot of things that we can track," Bloom said Tuesday on NBC Sports Boston's Talkin' Baseball. "The one thing that's pretty clear is (Duran is) a heck of a lot closer than he was when the season started. I think it's been a steady, upward trajectory for him in Worcester in terms of his comfort in the outfield, his jumps, his ability to read the ball off the bat, and all that adds up to making plays.

"We know he has the speed and the athleticism to make pretty much any play out there. You guys have seen it, it's a high bar to be in our outfield right now, so we want to make sure that if he's ready to come, then he's ready to contribute there."

May 5, 2021

I think hes going to tell us by how hes doing, Bloom said. Its funny, because were used to the minor leagues starting around the same time as the major-league season does. And thats obviously not the case this year. A lot of major league baseball is behind us but nothing has really changed with him and the value of what hes about to go out and do... both to be able to take his new swing and his new approach that we havent seen tested in affiliated ball and take that out against Triple-A competition, and then also for him to continue his progression in the outfield.

I think were going to learn a lot, Bloom continued. We want to make sure we dont try to learn too much from a really small sample. But just having him go through the ups and downs of a season and playing every day and doing it with the various ways we have to track his performance, were going to learn a lot pretty quickly. At the end of the day, its up to the player. (We have) every confidence Jarren is going to go out there and knock that door down. But hell tell us when hes ready.

July 15

I could see the basis of all different opinions on when the right time is for him to help us, Bloom said. As strongly as we felt about his upside, We also felt it was important for him to go out, test himself against the highest level of minor league competition and see how he did as that competition got a chance to adjust to him and vice versa. We saw early in the year he was striking out more than he was recently. And seeing steady progress on that front and also steady progress defensively really helped make this decision for us.

Asked why now was the right time, Bloom said, Theres not one thing you can point to. I cant sit here and tell you we can reduce this to a perfect science. I think its a combination of a number of things. Some of it is the subjective opinions of the people who are around him every day. Some of it are the things we can track, both offensively and defensively. Some of it is seeing him display his ability against competition that has had a chance to adjust to him.

Ive seen him play some of the same Triple-A clubs multiple times where theyve had a chance to adjust to him and hes had a chance to adjust to them. It strengthened our conviction that he could have an impact at the next level.

June 7

We know that hes a good player. We know that he still has things that he needs to get better, Cora said. But we keep talking about him, and were very happy with where hes at right now. Now he has to go back and play and keep getting better. But obviously like Chaim [Bloom] said in spring training, I think its something that were going to keep paying attention to him, and well see what happens in the future.
    Sox 4 Ever

Sox are one of three teams still in on Suzuki...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ya-suzuki.html
    Sox 4 Ever

Sox are one of three teams still in on Suzuki...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...ya-suzuki.html
    To be precise, in paraphrasing an anonymous "major league source," a Boston beat reporter wrote that the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Yankees "have been the most aggressive in pursuit of Suzuki."

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/...before-lockout

Four days ago MLB Network insider Jon Heyman did not list an AL East team among the clubs "in the mix" for Suzuki:

https://www.mlb.com/news/seiya-suzuki-rumors

To be precise, in paraphrasing an anonymous "major league source," a Boston beat reporter wrote that the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Yankees "have been the most aggressive in pursuit of Suzuki."

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/...before-lockout

Four days ago MLB Network insider Jon Heyman did not list an AL East team among the clubs "in the mix" for Suzuki:

https://www.mlb.com/news/seiya-suzuki-rumors
    Anonymous > Heyman
    Sox 4 Ever

Anonymous > Heyman
    Even anonymous failed to report that "the Sox are one of three teams still in on Suzuki..."