Register now to remove this ad

Page 265 of 393 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315365 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 5886

Thread: A Realistic View at 2022: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's not easy, and you can sign the best of the best available, and still miss badly.
    Nothing ventured , nothing gained.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Nothing ventured , nothing gained.
    True.

I’m not against pen building.

I just think building a rotation is more predictable.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

All you perverts have sick fantasies. Trivino AND Montas AND Iggy? When is enough enough?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    All you perverts have sick fantasies. Trivino AND Montas AND Iggy? When is enough enough?
    It’s not like he wanted them covered with whipped cream…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It’s not like he wanted them covered with whipped cream…
    Not even nekid!

I keep waiting for some significant Sox news, as the rest of baseball is going nutty.

I'm pretty certain we will be adding a pitcher or two to the roster, but here's a look at what innings we lost, and what we might gain, assuming the impossible 100% health:

IP Pitcher ERA/WHIP in 2021

158 ERod 4.74/1.389
    It is likely Sale will not be able to add 158 IP to the 43 he has in 2021, but it's not super unlikely, either. Maybe Pivetta can add to his 155 IP in 30 starts, but we are not really filling an empty slot by adding innings to Sale and Pivetta.

137 Richards 4.87/1.595 (110 as SP 5.22/1.650)
    114 Perez 4.74/1.509 (100 as SP 4.77/1.520)

Here's where it gets difficult without adding another starter. We may also lose Houck's 60 IP as a SP'er. We may add 120-160 from Whitlock, if he is moved to the rotation.
    Wacha might take 100-160 innings, in 2022.
    Seabold and Winckowski look to be the best internal options, without moving Houck and/or Whitlock to the rotation.

62 Ottavino 4.21/1.452
    37 Andriese 6.03/1.768
    25 Robles 3.60/1.360
    26 Richards 3.42/1.367 in relief
    14 Perez 4.50/1.429 in relief

This is about 160 IP, but with others like Workman, the total is really more like 200. It's not like who we need to replace did great, but it's not always easy finding good RP'ers.
    A lot depends on what we do with Houck. I'm expecting many more IP than 59 as a SP and 10 as a RP'er. It's possible we lose his 59 IP as a SP'er but add 60-120 innings to the pen.
    Maybe Barnes can go from 55 to 65 (+10), Brasier from 12 to 52 (+40) and Davis from 17 to 47 (+30). That would essentially cover the lost innings, but I hope we can do better than from what we have, now.

All-in-all, let's add some pitching!!!

Last edited by moonslav59; 11-30-2021 at 03:18 PM.

MLBTR reports...

Right-hander Ryan Brasier agreed to a $1.4MM salary with the Red Sox for the upcoming season, tweets Robert Murray of FanSided. The 2021 season was a nightmare for Brasier, who suffered a broken finger in Spring Training, strained a calf muscle while rehabbing that injury and then was hospitalized after being struck in the head by a comeback liner while working back from the calf issue. The 34-year-old made it back to the mound in September and pitched to a 1.50 ERA in 12 frames.

On Chris Taylor...

There’s one team that’s apparently not in the mix [on Taylor], however, as Chris Cotillo of MassLive reports that the Red Sox don’t seem to be heavily involved.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 11-30-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Deity
    I keep waiting for some significant Sox news, as the rest of baseball is going nutty.
    The rest of baseball going nutty I agree with, but isn’t looking more, and more that the Sox are just going to ride out next year with Bogey, and that will be his last year in Boston. I can’t see the Sox paying him anything close to $300M. Then just letting Raffy play out his last two years, and let him follow Bogey on the same path out of town, because I can’t see the Sox shelling out close to $400M for him either.

MLBTR reports...

Right-hander Ryan Brasier agreed to a $1.4MM salary with the Red Sox for the upcoming season, tweets Robert Murray of FanSided. The 2021 season was a nightmare for Brasier, who suffered a broken finger in Spring Training, strained a calf muscle while rehabbing that injury and then was hospitalized after being struck in the head by a comeback liner while working back from the calf issue. The 34-year-old made it back to the mound in September and pitched to a 1.50 ERA in 12 frames.

On Chris Taylor...

There’s one team that’s apparently not in the mix [on Taylor], however, as Chris Cotillo of MassLive reports that the Red Sox don’t seem to be heavily involved.
    Not heartbroken over this.

Not heartbroken over this.
    I'm not either.

I'm not either.
    I don't think Bloom is going to sign any of the QO guys. There will be a big draft class next season.

An offseason of Wacha/Paxton/2 bargain relievers/Iggy isn't leaving me very fulfilled.

I don't think Bloom is going to sign any of the QO guys. There will be a big draft class next season.

An offseason of Wacha/Paxton/2 bargain relievers/Iggy isn't leaving me very fulfilled.
    Agreed.

I still think we may get involved in a trade with one of the 4-6 teams that seem to be tanking.

I know I have mentioned Montas (with maybe Trivino being added in), but there could be a lot of arms available via trade.

I know building the farm is still close to the top priority, at least until we get more depth and quality added to it, so maybe my suggestion will never happen.

I'm fine with keeping the farm strong, but there are a couple prospects I think we could deal, without harming the farm all that much:

Duran- I like our OF as it is, and adding a 4th OF'er is usually very cheap.

Downs- I don't see him as Bogey's replacement, and I know Arroyo's health is always an issue, but for some reason, I've just never been all that high on him.

Together, BTV has them at over $30M value. That's aout what Montas & Trivno are worth (maybe add Ward, Potts, Rosario or Jimenez.)

I don't think Bloom is going to sign any of the QO guys. .
    I never thought he would, especially Taylor -- a jack of all knaves who wouldn't be a bargain. I'd be more shocked if Bloom signed Taylor than Correa.

The lack of QO for Stroman is what gave guys like us hope, but we know Bloom's not giving a good-not-great pitcher $25 mil for even one year -- and no way for three or four; not when the Sox could ink 10 pitchers for $100 million total in the next four years... and one of them would probably wind up better than Stro.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I never thought he would, especially Taylor -- a jack of all knaves who wouldn't be a bargain. I'd be more shocked if Bloom signed Taylor than Correa.

The lack of QO for Stroman is what gave guys like us hope, but we know Bloom's not giving a good-not-great pitcher $25 mil for even one year -- and no way for three or four; not when the Sox could ink 10 pitchers for $100 million total in the next four years... and one of them would probably wind up better than Stro.
    It's hard to really know Bloom's M.O. with an fat checkbook, but certainly it seems like he prefers bargains to long overpays.