Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should close going forward?

Who should close going forward?

Let’s get this discussion going

I say Whitlock.

Not Barnes....he needs to go on a 10 day sick leave.

He has said that fatigue factors into his mechanics being out of whack. He needs rest. That's what he's told us. Cora should listen to him.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Agreed completely. He’s toast right now and is getting worse by the day. He needs
    Some much needed time off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not Barnes....he needs to go on a 10 day sick leave.

He has said that fatigue factors into his mechanics being out of whack. He needs rest. That's what he's told us. Cora should listen to him.
    Bull.

Tonight was his 9the appearance in August, totaling 5 1/3 innings. He had 8 appearances in July for 8 innings (plus 1 inning in the ASG).

His days of rest this month have been 6, 2 (before the doubleheader with Toronto where he pitched in both games), 0, 1, 4, 4, 2 and 0.

He was pitching fine until that doubleheader.

It's in his head; he's lost confidence, which is disaster for a reliever, especially a closer.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Let’s get this discussion going

I say Whitlock.
    Won't be Whitlock, at least on any regular basis. He's doing very well in the role he has right now and since he figures to be a part of the rotation next year, best to keep his confidence high. They'll keep him on that twice a week schedule and if he's in line for a multi-inning save, they'll let him finish. I don't think they will risk his arm doing every day type duty.

My guess is Robles and Taylor will get looks. Robles has done the job before, as his 10 saves with the Twins this season attest. Taylor may get a look depending on matchups. Ottavino may also factor in;
    again, he's done the job at times this year and he seems to have at least righted his ship a little.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

I’d try Taylor.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I’d try Taylor.
    How close is a return by Brasier? Didn't Cora appoint him closer the first month of '19?

Deity
    Robles.

He has 38 career saves and was closing for the Angels earlier this year.

And for all the getting about this guy not bring an A list reliever, in his last 6 outings with Boston, Robles has an ERA of 0.00, an OPSA of .548, and has stranded 5 of 6 inherited runners…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Robles.

And for all the getting about this guy not bring an A list reliever, in his last 6 outings with Boston, Robles has an ERA of 0.00, an OPSA of .548, and has stranded 5 of 6 inherited runners…
    Sure, give him a shot.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Robles.

You got heat and decent command, you got a job--and closer potential.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Bull.

Tonight was his 9the appearance in August, totaling 5 1/3 innings. He had 8 appearances in July for 8 innings (plus 1 inning in the ASG).

His days of rest this month have been 6, 2 (before the doubleheader with Toronto where he pitched in both games), 0, 1, 4, 4, 2 and 0.

He was pitching fine until that doubleheader.

It's in his head; he's lost confidence, which is disaster for a reliever, especially a closer.
    Because of last year's shortened season, there's been an assumption that more pitchers would break down this year (seems to have happened) and that some would run out of gas early (maybe happening with Barnes). Just because you don't think he should be tired, doesn't mean he's NOT tired.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sure, give him a shot.
    I hate to say it, but he can't be worse than Barnes right now. I think Barnes should be given a rest and only thrown out there in low leverage situations.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Because of last year's shortened season, there's been an assumption that more pitchers would break down this year (seems to have happened) and that some would run out of gas early (maybe happening with Barnes). Just because you don't think he should be tired, doesn't mean he's NOT tired.
    I have always postulated that fatigue (along with wear and tear) is a bigger factor for pitchers than anything psychological when it comes to these types of slumps. Just because no one is reporting any injuries on Barnes also doesn't mean he feels the same way he did in April...

I have always postulated that fatigue (along with wear and tear) is a bigger factor for pitchers than anything psychological when it comes to these types of slumps. Just because no one is reporting any injuries on Barnes also doesn't mean he feels the same way he did in April...
    Queue the annoying poster: But Old Hoss Radbourn averaged 412 innings per year, Barnes can't even throw a fifth of that and gets paid millions to play a kids game!

Radbourn's 1884 season: 9.5 fWAR, 678.2 Innings, 59-12,75 G, 73 GS, 73 CG, 1 SV, 441K, 98BB, 1.38 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 48 ERA-

162 games is too many games. Make the season 150 with more days off.