Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 9/24 Yankems @ SOX 7:10PM

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Each game with the Yanks is a 2 game swing.

After today, we are either tied or up 2. That's huge, when so few games are left to play.

Looking at the pitchers, especially how well they have been doing recently, the edge should go to Cortes over Pivetta, but the game is at Bodton, and our bats are looking damn good.

BTW, it's nice seeing Devers heating up and knowing he has 2 HRs off Cortes in just 4 ABs.
    Like the lineup better today.

Cortes has been very effective for the Yankees and Pivetta is a 5+ career ERA pitcher. I don’t like this matchup. I don’t like any of the pitching Matchups in this series. I am hoping that Dalbec keeps up his hot hitting and wrecks a couple of Cortes’ pitches today.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Cortes has been very effective for the Yankees and Pivetta is a 5+ career ERA pitcher. I don’t like this matchup. I don’t like any of the pitching Matchups in this series. I am hoping that Dalbec keeps up his hot hitting and wrecks a couple of Cortes’ pitches today.
    I'm hoping the trend continues where Pivetta does well after you criticize him or bring up a not-so-great stat.

Yes, his career ERA is 5.20, but much of that is a result of his 6.02 rookie year ERA. That being said, a 4.94 ERA after that year is pretty close to 5.00, so the point you make has merit.

His 5.60 ERA from 2019-2020 didn't help, and he only had 15 starts in those two seasons combined.

The bright side is maybe this: in his two seasons with 28+ GS'd he put up these numbers:

4.77 in 2018 (164 IP)

4.63 in 2021 (144 IP)

Those are decent 4/5 slot numbers, but doing it for a few years in a row is something he has yet to do.

No doubt, the guy has some "good stuff, but his BB/9 rate has not improved, this year (3.9 vs career 3.5). A good game, here would go a long way in improving our opinions of him.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    I'm hoping the trend continues where Pivetta does well after you criticize him or bring up a not-so-great stat.

Yes, his career ERA is 5.20, but much of that is a result of his 6.02 rookie year ERA. That being said, a 4.94 ERA after that year is pretty close to 5.00, so the point you make has merit.

His 5.60 ERA from 2019-2020 didn't help, and he only had 15 starts in those two seasons combined.

The bright side is maybe this: in his two seasons with 28+ GS'd he put up these numbers:

4.77 in 2018 (164 IP)

4.63 in 2021 (144 IP)

Those are decent 4/5 slot numbers, but doing it for a few years in a row is something he has yet to do.

No doubt, the guy has some "good stuff, but his BB/9 rate has not improved, this year (3.9 vs career 3.5). A good game, here would go a long way in improving our opinions of him.

Most important is that Pivetta has only pitched once against the Yankees this year, and didn’t last 2 innings.��

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Most important is that Pivetta has only pitched once against the Yankees this year, and didn’t last 2 innings.��
    I'm not sure how important that is.

For one thing, they don't have much exposure to him, which is usually an advantage given to the pitcher.

Deity
    I'm not sure how important that is.

For one thing, they don't have much exposure to him, which is usually an advantage given to the pitcher.
    They don’t have much exposure to him, because he only lasted 1.2 when he pitched against them. Like I said before head to head is the most important thing not what happens against other teams, or other pitchers, or other batters.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    They don’t have much exposure to him, because he only lasted 1.2 when he pitched against them. Like I said before head to head is the most important thing not what happens against other teams, or other pitchers, or other batters.
    I disagree.

I do think head to head batter-pitcher data matters, but this sample size is so small.

Pivetta was in the NL for years and has very little playing time vs NY.

He faced 4 NY batters twice and 5 once in his start, this year.

LeMahieu: K, GO
    Rizzo: Fly out and groundball single
    Judge: BB, BB
    Gallo: Fly out, GO
    Stanton: line drive 1B
    Sanchez: Bloop single down RF line
    Gardner: Sac Fly
    A Velazquez: Ground ball single & SB that led to a run

I'm not sure why this has more to do with anything than anything else.

Dalbec did wreck a couple of pitches today— one went out of the park and one was caught before it went over the fence.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Dalbec did wreck a couple of pitches today— one went out of the park and one was caught before it went over the fence.
    Try getting on the current game, although i tend to agree with many of your posts, the dudes lost a critical game due to the damnable bullpen and its pitchers proving they are incapable of throwing a strike except for as pitch that gets lost