Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/30 SOX @ O's 7:05PM

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Dalbec does seem like he's back to his old ways, but that was a pretty quick benching. I'm not complaining or scratching my head, mind you- just pointing out the flip side of a tough choice by Cora.
    After tonight for the next 3 games Cora has to deal with no DH, so Schwaber will get more work at 1B, and JD in LF, which weakens the D even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    After tonight for the next 3 games Cora has to deal with no DH, so Schwaber will get more work at 1B, and JD in LF, which weakens the D even more.
    And, we face a left in the first game at WSH. I think they play Dalbec, tomorrow and JD plays LF.

I think we face a righty on Saturday, so maybe Dugo plays CF, Schwarber LF and Kike 2B. (No JD seems wrong. Would we dare have Schwarber and JD both at corner OF positions in the same game?)
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Blasphemy!
    We'll have to see if the Pivetta/Plawecki combo regresses tonight.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Somehow, I have to think even a no-hitter would not move you an inch on this issue.

Somehow, I have to think even a no-hitter would not move you an inch on this issue.
    If Pivetta throws a CG SHO tonight, I'll change my signature to "CERA is real."
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

If Pivetta throws a CG SHO tonight, I'll change my signature to "CERA is real."
    He'll have to do it in 79 pitches. Cora is on a pitch count rampage.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I believe Pivetta brings intensity to every start. I just hope he has good stuff tonight.
    'Calm intensity'? OK, I'll go with that. It does sound like an oxymoron though.
    It is an oxymoron, a marvelous figure of speech intended to get your attention by cramming together words in opposition to each other. Sports psychologists preach calm intensity.

Deity
    Steady, big guy. The real significance of Plawecki catching first Eovaldi and now Plawecki on consecutive nights is a strong indicator that nonbelievers in CERA do not include Alex Cora in their ranks.

While I kind of agree CERA as a number can be hard to prove, to me it is absurd to assume that all catchers are equal in their ability to guide a pitcher to a successful start. Cora has clearly decided that, with so much on the line last night and tonight, he's going with the smarter catcher despite the fact that Vazquez has the better arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    It is an oxymoron, a marvelous figure of speech intended to get your attention by cramming together words in opposition to each other. Sports psychologists preach calm intensity.
    I don't think it's necessarily an oxymoron. You can have an intense interior and a calm exterior.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Against a lefty, Dalbec rides the bench and Schwarber plays 1b. The only explanation I can think of for this is that Dalbec, who is almost certainly a better fielder than Schwarber, nevertheless is in a slump and Cora can't afford to wait until he finds his swing. This also keeps the good outfield of Verdugo, Kike, and Renfroe.

Steady, big guy. The real significance of Plawecki catching first Eovaldi and now Plawecki on consecutive nights is a strong indicator that nonbelievers in CERA do not include Alex Cora in their ranks.

While I kind of agree CERA as a number can be hard to prove, to me it is absurd to assume that all catchers are equal in their ability to guide a pitcher to a successful start. Cora has clearly decided that, with so much on the line last night and tonight, he's going with the smarter catcher despite the fact that Vazquez has the better arm.
    One of the things that's unknown is why some pitchers do better with some catchers. It doesn't necessarily mean the catcher is "better". And it certainly doesn't necessarily mean the catcher is smarter.

Against a lefty, Dalbec rides the bench and Schwarber plays 1b. The only explanation I can think of for this is that Dalbec, who is almost certainly a better fielder than Schwarber, nevertheless is in a slump and Cora can't afford to wait until he finds his swing. This also keeps the good outfield of Verdugo, Kike, and Renfroe.
    Also, by happenstance, we're in a long stretch of facing lefties.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily an oxymoron. You can have an intense interior and a calm exterior.
    You can indeed have an intense interior and calm exterior. That's why oxymorons are used.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Also, by happenstance, we're in a long stretch of facing lefties.
    Indeed.

By definition an oxymoron combines two words seemingly opposite in meaning. But what makes an oxymoron work is when the combination works.
    Generally I would agree. For me the issue here is that 'intensity' has a range of definitions and some of them don't contradict calmness. Sometimes being intense means being very focused. That goes with calm.