Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Yankees 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Lot to unwind here. I needed a good long workout to get the stink of last night out of me. This was an underachieving team built as a 3 true outcome offense that can easily be shut down by good pitching. We were .500 at the ASB and barely won the season series vs one of the worst teams in history in the Orioles. We couldnt win the season series vs the sox, jays, or rays, which might be the first time in history we lost the season series to all three of those teams in one season.

That being said, going on the run we did post ASB and the moves made by Cashman at the deadline reinvigorated the team and pushed them to the POs, so I cannot be entirely upset. But, we do need to shake things up. I think we keep Cashman as he has shown the ability to win trades and upgrade on the fly while building a solid farm. I think we keep Matt Blake, a guy who has turned plenty an underachieving pitcher into a solid performer. And that is about it. The rest can go as far as I am concerned. Boone, Thames, Nevin, everyone else. Take the trainer too. Boone's managerial style does not work with this crew. He is the positive reinforcement, everyone is my buddy manager that continually gets less out of his team than is expected. While I don't think a true disciplinarian is needed, a guy who will preach accountability and also hold players to it would be best.

On the personnel front, we continue to have the same issues. Too many starters on the IL. Lemahieu, Hicks, Frazier, Voit. All 4 were in the opening day lineup, all 4 on the IL for the WC game. Lemahieu's issue is easily fixed and his history as an iron man puts him more in the likelihood of a solid rebound candidate for 2022. The others cannot be counted on out of the gate without having a true starting caliber backup. So, here goes

Catcher: It is time for Gary Sanchez to go. He will likely top $10 mil in arb and he just isnt worth it. His defense is atrocious, his game calling sucks and his hitting can be counted on for one month of the year. Time to deal him off or cut him entirely. I do not think this team needs to have an offense first catcher. With our pitching staff, we need guys who can call games and play defense. I think Higgy is the perfect person to be the RH platoon for the position in 2022. The other guy I would want is Tucker Barnhart. He's a lefty hitting catcher known for his defense. Not much pop, K's a lot, who cares. Save some cash, sign the guy and platoon the two

First Base: You cannot go into 2022 with Luke Voit as your starting 1b. He had meniscus surgery, then had swelling in the knee they called a bone bruise, then went on the 60 day a week ago after running to 1b. The guy has an arthritic condition in the knee. I look to deal him to a team with an open DH spot. I actually think the 2022 1b may be DJ Lemahieu. DJ will come off his core surgery and return like gangbusters. Calling it now, he will be the comeback player of the year. DJ has been billed as having a "groin injury" as early as ST and he clearly wasn't right all year. Surgery is curative.

Second Base Gleyber Torres stays at 2b. He was moved to 2b off SS the final 6 weeks of 2021 and he responded offensively with an OPS over .800. He starts 2022 as a 2b and we don't move him around. He is too good yet too emotionally fragile to handle the Yankee SS position

Short Stop Corey Seager. There has never been a more obvious fit for a need than this guy. Lefty, power, OBP, average and has a playoff pedigree. He will cost a lot, but the Yanks have the money

Third Base Kyle Seager. Crazy, bring the two brothers together. There are a few reasons why I like this. The guy plays a mean 3b. The guy has lefty power and moving from Seattle to NY can only help. He will also come cheap and can be platooned with Urshela. This has the sounds of a Brosius type move to me.

Outfield to come
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Lot to unwind here. I needed a good long workout to get the stink of last night out of me. This was an underachieving team built as a 3 true outcome offense that can easily be shut down by good pitching. We were .500 at the ASB and barely won the season series vs one of the worst teams in history in the Orioles. We couldnt win the season series vs the sox, jays, or rays, which might be the first time in history we lost the season series to all three of those teams in one season.

That being said, going on the run we did post ASB and the moves made by Cashman at the deadline reinvigorated the team and pushed them to the POs, so I cannot be entirely upset. But, we do need to shake things up. I think we keep Cashman as he has shown the ability to win trades and upgrade on the fly while building a solid farm. I think we keep Matt Blake, a guy who has turned plenty an underachieving pitcher into a solid performer. And that is about it. The rest can go as far as I am concerned. Boone, Thames, Nevin, everyone else. Take the trainer too. Boone's managerial style does not work with this crew. He is the positive reinforcement, everyone is my buddy manager that continually gets less out of his team than is expected. While I don't think a true disciplinarian is needed, a guy who will preach accountability and also hold players to it would be best.

On the personnel front, we continue to have the same issues. Too many starters on the IL. Lemahieu, Hicks, Frazier, Voit. All 4 were in the opening day lineup, all 4 on the IL for the WC game. Lemahieu's issue is easily fixed and his history as an iron man puts him more in the likelihood of a solid rebound candidate for 2022. The others cannot be counted on out of the gate without having a true starting caliber backup. So, here goes

Catcher: It is time for Gary Sanchez to go. He will likely top $10 mil in arb and he just isnt worth it. His defense is atrocious, his game calling sucks and his hitting can be counted on for one month of the year. Time to deal him off or cut him entirely. I do not think this team needs to have an offense first catcher. With our pitching staff, we need guys who can call games and play defense. I think Higgy is the perfect person to be the RH platoon for the position in 2022. The other guy I would want is Tucker Barnhart. He's a lefty hitting catcher known for his defense. Not much pop, K's a lot, who cares. Save some cash, sign the guy and platoon the two

First Base: You cannot go into 2022 with Luke Voit as your starting 1b. He had meniscus surgery, then had swelling in the knee they called a bone bruise, then went on the 60 day a week ago after running to 1b. The guy has an arthritic condition in the knee. I look to deal him to a team with an open DH spot. I actually think the 2022 1b may be DJ Lemahieu. DJ will come off his core surgery and return like gangbusters. Calling it now, he will be the comeback player of the year. DJ has been billed as having a "groin injury" as early as ST and he clearly wasn't right all year. Surgery is curative.

Second Base Gleyber Torres stays at 2b. He was moved to 2b off SS the final 6 weeks of 2021 and he responded offensively with an OPS over .800. He starts 2022 as a 2b and we don't move him around. He is too good yet too emotionally fragile to handle the Yankee SS position

Short Stop Corey Seager. There has never been a more obvious fit for a need than this guy. Lefty, power, OBP, average and has a playoff pedigree. He will cost a lot, but the Yanks have the money

Third Base Kyle Seager. Crazy, bring the two brothers together. There are a few reasons why I like this. The guy plays a mean 3b. The guy has lefty power and moving from Seattle to NY can only help. He will also come cheap and can be platooned with Urshela. This has the sounds of a Brosius type move to me.

Outfield to come
    Why are Sox players over the hill at 31 and 32, but Lemahieu will be great next year at age 33-34?

I'm curious about your pitcher predictions, too.

I appreciate you putting your opinions out there, instead of preaching vagaries.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Lemahieu has been hurt from day 1. He missed time in ST with a “groin strain”, was help out of the lineup early for a game or two with the same and then we got word in early September that he was dealing with a “hip issue” all year. Sports hernia’s hurt like hell when you twist your core, ie hit. I’m shocked he played as much as he did

Lemahieu has been hurt from day 1. He missed time in ST with a “groin strain”, was help out of the lineup early for a game or two with the same and then we got word in early September that he was dealing with a “hip issue” all year. Sports hernia’s hurt like hell when you twist your core, ie hit. I’m shocked he played as much as he did
    These things happen when you have a badly managed team.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    These things happen when you have a badly managed team.
    Agreed. If DJ comes back next year and is a .260/.700 batter then I’ll ascribe to being over the hill.

FYI, totally fine with Rizzo returning or even a guy like Belt and moving DJ to 3rd, but I’m assuming those guys get multi year deals. Kyle Seager will likely take a one or two year deal at shorter money, which is why I’d want him. Plays good D and can flip flop out with Urshela for lefties. Copy the Rays. They’re adaptable. Having Wade swap in for Torres vs a tough right, Urshela in for K Seager for tough lefties.

Agreed. If DJ comes back next year and is a .260/.700 batter then I’ll ascribe to being over the hill.

FYI, totally fine with Rizzo returning or even a guy like Belt and moving DJ to 3rd, but I’m assuming those guys get multi year deals. Kyle Seager will likely take a one or two year deal at shorter money, which is why I’d want him. Plays good D and can flip flop out with Urshela for lefties. Copy the Rays. They’re adaptable. Having Wade swap in for Torres vs a tough right, Urshela in for K Seager for tough lefties.
    He turns 34 during next season. You called JD over the hill at age 32-33 after a 60 game season.

Both are in decline, but over the hill is a strong word.

BTW, several Sox posters joined you in the opinion JD was toast.

Yankee FAs, this winter:
    Rizzo
    Kluber
    Odor

Ages of Key Yanks in 2022:

Pitchers listed by most IP in 2021:
    31 Cole
    29 Montgomery
    30 Taillon
    29 German
    27 Cortes
    31 Green
    35 Luetage
    27 Loaisiga
    27 King
    34 Chapman
    30 Peralta
    30 Cesa
    26 Abreu
    24 Gil
    29 Holmes
    34 Britton
    (28 Severino)

Batters listed by most PAs
    33 LeMahieu
    30 Judge
    32 Stanton
    25 Torres
    38 Gardner
    30 Ushela
    29 Sanchez
    31 Voit
    28 Gallo
    21 Higgy
    27 Andujar
    27 Wade
    32 Hicks
    27 Velazquez

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He turns 34 during next season. You called JD over the hill at age 32-33 after a 60 game season.

Both are in decline, but over the hill is a strong word.

BTW, several Sox posters joined you in the opinion JD was toast.
    There was no injury with JD. He just fell off a cliff. Hard to say JD is in a decline yet. Like I said, the guy had an injury that literally hurt every time he twisted his core. I am absolutely shocked he could play at all, let alone play as much as he did. His issue is typically cured with surgery. If he stays healthy next year, he is a .300 hitter and I think most people would agree with that.
    Hal sucks

There was no injury with JD. He just fell off a cliff. Hard to say JD is in a decline yet. Like I said, the guy had an injury that literally hurt every time he twisted his core. I am absolutely shocked he could play at all, let alone play as much as he did. His issue is typically cured with surgery. If he stays healthy next year, he is a .300 hitter and I think most people would agree with that.
    Dude, it was a 54 game season for JD (237 PAs), and you jumped at it like it was the only evidence that mattered.

You are the one who uses age more than anyone I know.

You use LeMahieu's 50 game sample size as if it is everything.

I'm not doubting he can hit .300 in 2022, but in the overall sense of his age-related trend, he should continue declining- NOT from his 2021 numbers but in the context of his bell curve by age.

OPS by age:
    .663 at 25
    .746 at 26
    .911 at 27 (could be viewed as an outlier)
    .783 at 28 (He had an .824 stretch in a 339 PA stretch.)
    .749 at 29 (He had an .809 stretch in 163 PA stretch.)
    .893 at 30 (might show maybe 2016 was not an outlier)
    1.011 at 31 in just 216 PAs (Seeing what he did is similar stretches at age 28 & 29, one wonders if this was sustainable over 600 PAs)
    .711 at age 32 (2nd largest sample size season of his career)

Let's look at 2 season samples:
    .667 '13-'14
    .828 '15-'16
    .767 '17-'18
    .922 '19-'20 (.831 '19-'21)

Jump 2013:
    .708 '14-'15
    .844 '16-'17
    .825 '18-'19
    .784 '20-'21
    (This one looks more like a typical bell curve.)

I'd expect something like .790 to .850 in 2022, assuming he's healthy, and more likely near .840.

JD is less than a year older than LeMahieu, and I'd be interested to know what you project for him, next year.

JD's 2 year numbers:
    .893 '14-'15
    .985 '16-'17
    .985 '18-'19
    .816 '20-'21
    (To me, his curve seems tighter and more to form- more predictable, perhaps.)
    I'd expect something between .800 and .880 for JD, next year but likely closer to.870.

On to the OF/DH

Judge RF. That’s the easy one. He’s as good as it gets out there.

Stanton DH/part time LF. I can’t see him playing more than 40-50 games in the OF. But his offense more than makes up for it.

That’s where the easy parts end. We have Hicks under contract, and unless someone wants his contract, I’m anticipating he is back, but he cannot be counted on as a starter. I’ll call him our CF/4th OFer

Gallo, great defender, tons of walks, huge homer totals, he’s a true mistake only hitter and that doesn’t help you come crunch time. Gallo’s tough to predict. If he comes back, I bring him back as a starting CFer. His defense is good, he’s quick, cannon arm. He’s done it before. If he gives an .800 OPS year and holds down CF, then he’s worth rostering. If the Yanks don’t want to use him there, then you’ve got to deal him.

Regardless of Gallo’s situation, I want us to sign an offense first, left handed LFer. We could look at Schwarber, but he’s better suited as a DH. I like Michael Conforto especially coming off a down year. We could consider Bellinger if the Dodgers non tender him. Then there’s the trade market with Brian Reynolds out of PIT.

If Gallo is gone, we would need a partner to play CF should Hicks not be able to go. I’d add a veteran like a Tommy Pham to the OF, not a masher. A guy who can play some D, run a bit, make contact and draw some walks.

So overall….

C- Barnhart/Higashioka
    1b- Lemahieu/Rizzo/Belt
    2b- Torres
    SS- C Seager
    3b- K Seager/Lemahieu
    LF- Conforto/Schwarber
    CF- Gallo or Hicks/Pham/Wade combo
    RF- Judge
    DH- Stanton

Urshela and Wade make the team as backups. If Voit doesn’t have an arthritic knee, he gets tendered and is rostered or dealt. The lineup is far more balanced, far more deep and gets a bit younger, which we need

Lineup would be

1. Lemahieu 1b
    2. C Seager SS
    3. Judge RF
    4. Conforto LF
    5. Stanton DH
    6. K Seager 3B
    7. Torres 2B
    8. Gallo CF
    9. Barnhart/Higashioka C

Lineup would be

1. Lemahieu 1b
    2. C Seager SS
    3. Judge RF
    4. Conforto LF
    5. Stanton DH
    6. K Seager 3B
    7. Torres 2B
    8. Gallo CF
    9. Barnhart/Higashioka C
    Lots of changes for a team that was destined for greatness, this year.

Frazier’s career essentially ended, Voit’s was immeasurably altered, Hicks missed the season and has developed the fragile label. Lineup coming into 21 was deep. Unfortunately, we lost three guys early and will have longer term issues attached to them. It’s a rare thing, really

Frazier’s career essentially ended, Voit’s was immeasurably altered, Hicks missed the season and has developed the fragile label. Lineup coming into 21 was deep. Unfortunately, we lost three guys early and will have longer term issues attached to them. It’s a rare thing, really
    Did you really not expect any injuries? Was the loss of these 3 really the main reason you guys missed out on greatness?

If I had guessed, I'd have said Stanton would have missed more time than he did.

Voit was the HR champion of the short sprint. Frazier was a .900+ OPS OFer from 2020.
    Hicks had a .380 OBP and a 3 WAR equivalent sprint.

Those three guys above had a full season effective value of 11.6 WAR in 2020 and they essentially gave us nothing.

Those three guys were very big in 2020 and were essentially non existent in 21. Lemahieu hit .367 in 20 and cut his BA by one hundred points for 2021 mostly due to injury (although he wasn’t gonna hit .367 again). DJ’s drop in full season Equivalent WAR was a staggering 4.35. When considering those four guys alone, Yanks lost 16 WAR