Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Alex-Verdugo Expresses Desire to Become Two-Way Player

Alex-Verdugo Expresses Desire to Become Two-Way Player

Alex Verdugo has worked exclusively as an outfielder to this point in his professional career, but the 25-year-old is hoping for an expanded role at some point in the future. Verdugo told reporters, including Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald[/URL]) he’s hoping to serve as a two-way player by the 2023 season.

The Red Sox outfielder plans to begin a throwing program this offseason to kick off that process. While Verdugo cautioned that he didn’t want to take on a rotation role, he expressed an earnest desire to work out of the bullpen. “I don’t know if I’ll pitch next year, but definitely by 2023 I want to try to just be a two-way player,” Verdugo said “Not a Ohtani, where he is starting and all that. I just want to be a reliever. Come in, help the boys out, something like that.”

Two-way players obviously remain quite infrequent, but they’re not without recent precedent. Ohtani is the AL MVP favorite for his stellar contributions on both sides of the ball. A two-way star of Ohtani’s caliber is unlike anything in recent memory, but a limited outfield/relief role seems more plausible. The Reds dabbled in that kind of experiment with Michael Lorenzen, giving him 83 1/3 innings of relief and six starts in center field in 2019. Anthony Gose hasn’t worked as a two-way player concurrently, but he played in the big leagues as an outfielder from 2012-16 before returning as a reliever with the Indians this season.

Verdugo certainly has the arm strength to at least make the notion of him working in relief potentially realistic. The left-handed hitter and thrower was a two-way star in high school, and he flashed intriguing upside on the mound. Baseball America named Verdugo the #55 prospect in the 2014 draft class, writing at the time that he worked his fastball into the 90s with a promising slider and changeup. BA noted that most amateur scouts actually favored Verdugo as a pitcher, with the broad consensus that his “professional future is definitely on the mound.”

The concept of Verdugo as a two-way weapon is certainly intriguing, although it sounds he’ll first have to convince his own manager to give him the opportunity. Alex Cora seemed less enthused about the prospect, telling reporters “(Verdugo) feels he can throw 97, 98 mph. I guess he used to do that. We’re like, ‘No, you’re not doing that. You’re actually going to get better physically and you have to take care of yourself.”

It’s easy to understand Cora’s seeming trepidation, since Verdugo’s plenty valuable working solely as an outfielder. He hit .289/.351/.426 (107 wRC+) over 604 plate appearances while splitting his time between all three spots on the grass this season. It remains to be seen if the Sox would allow Verdugo to take on additional work on the mound — or, of course, whether Verdugo progresses enough as a pitcher to even make that a viable question — but it’ll be an intriguing storyline to follow over the offseason and through next year. For his part, Boston chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom didn’t dismiss the idea out of hand, saying that while the Sox hadn’t discussed the matter too deeply, he wouldn’t past it past Verdugo developing into a useful pitcher based on his high school form via Mastrodonato.
    Did anyone see this coming?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I saw that.

Not me.

He doesn't even have the best OF arm on the team.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Dalbec should be a candidate.......
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

When they move the mound back, say to deep right field, Renfroe could be the closer.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Did not see that coming, and I really hope he doesn't do this.

Focus on being a one-way player.

Deity
    Probably worth noting that the last two way player on the Sox only pitched 3.2 IP, and he wasn’t exactly tied up with a starting LF job either.

Verdugo does have a very strong arm, but I think it’s very difficult for a player who doesn’t focus exclusively on pitching to compete with a pitcher who does…

Sounds like a pipe dream to me.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Probably worth noting that the last two way player on the Sox only pitched 3.2 IP, and he wasn’t exactly tied up with a starting LF job either.

Verdugo does have a very strong arm, but I think it’s very difficult for a player who doesn’t focus exclusively on pitching to compete with a pitcher who does…
    Who was that?
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Must have been Steve Lyons, no? I say to Verdugo, GO FOR IT! I was very negative about this guy when he was signed, but his play has completely won me over.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Who was that?
    Dave McCarty

Deity
    Sam Johnson says that a two-way player is like a dog walking on its hind legs. It's not a question of how well they do it, one is astonished they do it at all.

Yes, Ohtani is the exception. Ditto Babe Ruth. Not a very big club.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Sam Johnson says that a two-way player is like a dog walking on its hind legs. It's not a question of how well they do it, one is astonished they do it at all.

Yes, Ohtani is the exception. Ditto Babe Ruth. Not a very big club.
    The exclusive club includes Dave McCarty, Brooks Kieschnick and Mike Lorenzen. Not to mention those who switched from one to the other, like Rick Ankiel, Ron Mahay, and Lefty O’Doul.

Others like Tim Wakefield, Sean Doolittle, Rafael Betancourt, Joe Nathan, Matt Bush, and Trevor Hoffman switched in the minors…
    Last edited by notin; 10-10-2021 at 11:55 PM.

why. just why.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    why. just why.
    Three possibilities:

1. Loves everything about baseball?
    2. Loves money?
    3. Loves making more money playing baseball?

Dave McCarty
    Dziękuję Ci

I remember the name, but that's about it.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough