Register now to remove this ad

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: 10/11 ALDS Game 4 vs Rays

Cash did something last night that I thought was a head scratcher. If he had planned on using McClanahan, why didn't Cash have him start, which is what McClanahan is used to doing. Having a rookie starter come into the game in the 3rd inning is mentally different than starting the game.
    Oh, well, it definitely worked well for the SOX, but it was still a puzzling move by Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    Whitlock is our best reliever! I am trying to stay with a two run lead . I am bringing him in.
    17 pitches Sunday. 15 pitches Monday.

He was not overused. (IP'd can be deceiving.)

One could also look at ERod pitch count and proclaim, "He was nibbling, again," but that 15 pitch AB with like 9 foul-offs in a row was behind those numbers.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    that 15 pitch AB.
    It was 17 pitches actually; Meadows fouled off the first three, took three, then fouled off 10 in a row before missing. Had to be an outlier, because ERod got the last two outs on a combined three pitches (though anti-nibblers will say that was his outlier).

Deity

One could also look at ERod pitch count and proclaim, "He was nibbling, again," but that 15 pitch AB with like 9 foul-offs in a row was behind those numbers.
    ERod threw 73% strikes last night, which sure ain't nibbling. He also walked no one. This was a great start given the setting--4th game of the ALDS which the Sox were expected to lose--and that he did not have his good changeup which in the past has been very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    ERod threw 73% strikes last night, which sure ain't nibbling. He also walked no one. This was a great start given the setting--4th game of the ALDS which the Sox were expected to lose--and that he did not have his good changeup which in the past has been very effective.
    You don't have to convince me. At times, I felt like I was the only one defending ERod.

BTW, that 73% K number was awesome, and it was helped by that 13 foul off AB.
    Sox 4 Ever

No, he wasn't, but it's also extremely unusual to get through 2 innings throwing only 15 pitches.

Great pitching by Whitlock and maybe a lack of patience by Rays hitters.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    No, he wasn't, but it's also extremely unusual to get through 2 innings throwing only 15 pitches.

Great pitching by Whitlock and maybe a lack of patience by Rays hitters.
    Had he made many more pitches, he likely wouldn't have gone 2 innings.
    Sox 4 Ever

Had he made many more pitches, he likely wouldn't have gone 2 innings.
    Agreed.

The guy I first replied to here was saying Whitlock should have pitched the 8th and 9th both games, as if it's no big deal. Even though he never did it all year, and hardly any pitchers ever do it.

Agreed.

The guy I first replied to here was saying Whitlock should have pitched the 8th and 9th both games, as if it's no big deal. Even though he never did it all year, and hardly any pitchers ever do it.
    I agree. His whole "end the Babying thing" immediately is just not how things are or should be done.

I think we handled Whitlock and Houck just right.

If one is to start, next year, we shouldn't expect more than 140-150 IP, depending on how well and efficient they are pitching.

It's more about pitches thrown than IP. There was talk early on, how we were overusing Barnes, as he was heading towards a record season of IP'd, but if you looked at his pitch counts, he was near norm or below it.

(Maybe that wasn't a good example, since he imploded, but certainly babying him was not what caused that.)

He said the same about Sale. Take the gloves off.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Agreed.

What you talking about? It’s going with your best reliever up two runs! I am losing wiht my best reliever period. That’s the second time in two days which Cora didn’t go to whitlock. It’s a good thing the sox won both those games. Had they lost those two games we would be saying why cora didn’t bring in whitlock? 17 pitches is not much the next day for whitlock i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Cash did something last night that I thought was a head scratcher. If he had planned on using McClanahan, why didn't Cash have him start, which is what McClanahan is used to doing. Having a rookie starter come into the game in the 3rd inning is mentally different than starting the game.
    Oh, well, it definitely worked well for the SOX, but it was still a puzzling move by Cash.
    Bigger issue is even throwing him out there on short rest. He threw 5 innings in Game 1.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    What you talking about? It’s going with your best reliever up two runs! I am losing wiht my best reliever period. That’s the second time in two days which Cora didn’t go to whitlock. It’s a good thing the sox won both those games. Had they lost those two games we would be saying why cora didn’t bring in whitlock? 17 pitches is not much the next day for whitlock i feel.
    Whitlock is our best reliever, obviously, but you can't expect him to pitch the 8th and 9th innings every game we have a lead.

Other guys need to do the job too.

Whitlock is our best reliever, obviously, but you can't expect him to pitch the 8th and 9th innings every game we have a lead.

Other guys need to do the job too.
    Cora has to know only to use Houck and Whitlock in games that they are going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Cora has to know only to use Houck and Whitlock in games that they are going to win.
    It seems that Cora may be doing exactly that.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/...hen-it-counts/
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    That would have been interesting.

The Rays using rookie starters in all 4 games of the ALDS?