Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Robot Umps?!

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Possible, but the pitch clock is already in the rules...
    Yes, but fans aren't used to seeing a live clock at baseball games. The beauty of the game is that it can go on for 30+ innings over the course of months apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    At the very least, if you keep instant replay, stop using to see if a sliding base-runner breaks contact with the base for an infinitesimal period of time...
    The worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The worst.
    Exactly. They can fix that with a simple rule change (a player is considered in contact with the bag whenever he is over the bag on a slide).
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Just start with ball & strikes called by automation.

The rest can be decided later. This issue dwarfs all other robo or replay concerns, IMO.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Just start with ball & strikes called by automation.

The rest can be decided later. This issue dwarfs all other robo or replay concerns, IMO.
    Agreed. Just too many really bad calls. It has to be impacting the game.

Pitch clock will be an even more drastic change for the game.
    Why? I've been to minor league games w/ a pitch clock, visible to fans, and it hasn't done a thing other than to speed up the game. It's not drastic in any way (well, unless you're josh Beckett and want to take 45 seconds to a minute and a half between pitches).
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

A thousand times NO to robot umps.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    A thousand times NO to robot umps.

That is all.
    I think we should have robot umps so there would be no more mistakes by umps. Then we could have robot pitchers so there would be no more mistakes by pitchers. Then we could have robot fielders so there would be no more mistakes by fielders. Then we could have robot hitters so there would be no more mistakes by hitters. There game all fixed. What could go wrong. Play ball!

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Why? I've been to minor league games w/ a pitch clock, visible to fans, and it hasn't done a thing other than to speed up the game. It's not drastic in any way (well, unless you're josh Beckett and want to take 45 seconds to a minute and a half between pitches).
    “Traditional” fans will absolutely hate it.

“Traditional” fans will absolutely hate it.
    Yeah, well they can go back to banning interleague play, eliminating the playoffs, and counting walks as hits.

Yeah, well they can go back to banning interleague play, eliminating the playoffs, and counting walks as hits.
    Interleague play should go away.

Interleague play should go away.
    Interleague play is fantastic. Without it, I wouldn't get to see half the players in the league play. I don't have any interest in more games with the Orioles.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Max, it's not the rectangle. We all Know it's not accurate and that the ball is dropping and moving as it crosses the plate.

What the rectangle exposes is the inconsistency of umps. You can see the same pitch be called a ball then a strike. It's not an illusion.

Sure, one pitch might be dipping more than another one we think are identical, but for real, the umps suck.

23 missed calls are about 20 more than what is acceptable.

Why should a pitcher be able to "expand the strike zone?" Why should that be a part of the game?

Why not let good basketball players expand the hoop size when they shoot?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

The strike zone, whose precise definition you are so obsessed with, is actually an approximation, as described in the rule book, the same rule book that gives umpires the authority to call balls and strikes. They have that authority because the variable size of the strike zone cries out for human judgment. Oh, and how about the dimensions of home plate, which is incredibly idiosyncratic?

And, by the way, rectangle on your screen is invisible to everyone on the field of play. It's real--phony though it is--to us, but it is not real to anyone on the field of play. They can see the bases, the lines on the field, the stands, the backstop, the pitchers mound and rubber, the fans the ballboys/girls, even the dimensions and idiosyncrasies of the ballpark. But they can't see that rectangle, which you insist must play a dominant role in games and, along the way, emasculate umpires. As I understand it, that would be fine with you because you actually don't want any umpires out there because, heaven forbid, one of them might make a mistake.

I have to ask this. I think Chris Sale is about as professional a pitcher as I've ever seen. Not the best, but very professional. He fields his position beautifully. More than that, he makes sure he is in position to field his position. He almost never shakes off his catcher. He rarely wastes time between pitches. He is incredibly focused on preparing for and executing each pitch.

And he never gripes about calls by the ump. Why is that? I mean, you gripe all the time and you have nothing at stake. Do you think Sale simply doesn't care about the overall good of baseball which you insist necessitates robo-umps?
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 10-21-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

The strike zone, whose precise definition you are so obsessed with, is actually an approximation, as described in the rule book, the same rule book that gives umpires the authority to call balls and strikes. They have that authority because the variable size of the strike zone cries out for human judgment. Oh, and how about the dimensions of home plate, which is incredibly idiosyncratic?

And, by the way, rectangle on your screen is invisible to everyone on the field of play. It's real--phony though it is--to us, but it is not real to anyone on the field of play. They can see the bases, the lines on the field, the stands, the backstop, the pitchers mound and rubber, the fans the ballboys/girls, even the dimensions and idiosyncrasies of the ballpark. But they can't see that rectangle, which you insist must play a dominant role in games and, along the way, emasculate umpires. As I understand it, that would be fine with you because you actually don't want any umpires out there because, heaven forbid, one of them might make a mistake.

I have to ask this. I think Chris Sale is about as professional a pitcher as I've ever seen. Not the best, but very professional. He fields his position beautifully. More than that, he makes sure he is in position to field his position. He almost never shakes off his catcher. He rarely wastes time between pitches. He is incredibly focused on preparing for and executing each pitch.

And he never gripes about calls by the ump. Why is that? I mean, you gripe all the time and you have nothing at stake. Do you think Sale simply doesn't care about the overall good of baseball which you insist necessitates robo-umps?
    Kinda off on a tangent.

No pitcher or batter should need to study who is upping that game.

Consistent strike zones are what every ump strives for. It’s their job, and it’s impossible for them to do it because of the catcher blocking their view plus human frailties.

You’ll get used to it. It’s coming soon.

J
    Interleague play is fantastic. Without it, I wouldn't get to see half the players in the league play. I don't have any interest in more games with the Orioles.
    They should expand inter league play.