Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 198 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

If Bogaerts' future profile indeed trends to a move off shortstop -- to 2nd or 3rd or LF -- I don't see an opt out resulting in any GM giving him a giant Tatis or Lindor-type contract. Tatis, who at age 22 already moved for a spell to right field, isn't maybe a good Xander comp anyway... leading the league in home runs at age 22.

It could be X opts out just to get a decent raise and extension to stay where he really wants to, in Boston. The total dollars and years will certainly be affected by what happens in the upcoming agreements, between owners, unions, and ultimately, free agent shortstops.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    If Bogaerts' future profile indeed trends to a move off shortstop -- to 2nd or 3rd or LF -- I don't see an opt out resulting in any GM giving him a giant Tatis or Lindor-type contract. Tatis, who at age 22 already moved for a spell to right field, isn't maybe a good Xander comp anyway... leading the league in home runs at age 22.

It could be X opts out just to get a decent raise and extension to stay where he really wants to, in Boston. The total dollars and years will certainly be affected by what happens in the upcoming agreements, between owners, unions, and ultimately, free agent shortstops.
    I realize being a SS helps your value, but unless a GM thinks you are a significant plus value on defense, I'm not sure moving to 2B or 3B would drop his value from where GMs place it, now.

The talk of signing Semien interests me, but almost everyone says Semien could play 2B, until Bogey moves on. I'd play Semien at SS and move Bogey to 2B for 2022 or just trade Bogey.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    As I remember our last 3 games of the ALCS, we lost because we couldn't hit. Our pitching was solid except for one inning a game. Renfroe was a sure out, sometimes two. Dalbec wasn't used. I take the position that we would be smart to add a top FA outfielder and trade Renfroe or at least move him to the 4th slot. We could do better at 1st base but Dalbec at least should he kept.

Where are the guys like Rod Carew and Cecil Cooper, who were hitting machines. Need to stop swinging for the fences and go back to moving the line.

Notin seems to have something negative to say about Duran with every post. He still is our best outfield prospect and hardly got his feet wet in 2021. I'm for keeping him as our 4th outfielder. He would be inexpensive and could surprise in 2022.
    I’ve said Duran isn’t a good defensive outfielder. I’m not alone in saying. In fact, pretty much everyone who’s ever seen him play says it about him.

I am all for trading him because I think he can get back something decent and there is no place for him in the Sox starting outfield. Making him a 4th outfielder where he gets maybe 100 PA a season is actually much worse than anything I’ve ever said about him.

Believe it or not, calling a player trade bait is a bigger compliment than calling him bench material. At least I think he could start somewhere. Specifically in Oakland…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’ve said Duran isn’t a good defensive outfielder. I’m not alone in saying. In fact, pretty much everyone who’s ever seen him play says it about him.

I am all for trading him because I think he can get back something decent and there is no place for him in the Sox starting outfield. Making him a 4th outfielder where he gets maybe 100 PA a season is actually much worse than anything I’ve ever said about him.

Believe it or not, calling a player trade bait is a bigger compliment than calling him bench material. At least I think he could start somewhere. Specifically in Oakland…
    When you look at who we want back for Duran, it's actually a huge compliment to his value.

Nobody wants to hand him away for nothing.

With JD able to play OF, and Schwarber in many posters eyes, Duran would hardly play.

Now, Kike is a FA after 2022, so if that is on people's minds, then there is value keeping Duran around, but for all the grief we hards about keeping him in the minors, this year, how does it make sense to not play him in 2022 or keep him in AAA all year?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    When you look at who we want back for Duran, it's actually a huge compliment to his value.

Nobody wants to hand him away for nothing.

With JD able to play OF, and Schwarber in many posters eyes, Duran would hardly play.

Now, Kike is a FA after 2022, so if that is on people's minds, then there is value keeping Duran around, but for all the grief we hards about keeping him in the minors, this year, how does it make sense to not play him in 2022 or keep him in AAA all year?
    Some people do still trades are to get rid of people and not primarily to get anything back.

Now ZIPS hates Duran, projecting him to be worth 1.5 fWAR over the next 3 seasons. BTV gives him a surplus value of $23.5 mill, which is probably reasonable…

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Losing him for a draft pick isn't necessarily a disaster.
    If he is outwardly saying that he's looking to move on, I guess you can move him to 2b if you find a better SS this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

I like Xander, but I think his overall value is lower than the other SS options on the market right now (Story, Seager, Correa, Semien). I'd have him above Baez though.

Duran/Mata
    for
    Mountcastle

Duran/Jimenez
    for
    Manea/Bassitt

Some team that does not want to lock up a top SS for 6+ years and sees their window winding down might prefer trading for Boegy over signing a SS.

Don't ask me who that is. I don't know.

Here's a blockbuster BTV accepted:

Bogey, Duran, Vaz, Groome + $8M
    for
    Montas, Soderstrom (C prospect), Piscotty & Andrus (as salary balance)
    (We could even add Renfroe.)

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Duran/Mata
    for
    Mountcastle

Duran/Jimenez
    for
    Manea/Bassitt
    Maneae & Bassit only have 1 year left. I'd prefer the 2 years of Mointas.

Duran/Mata
    for
    Mountcastle

Duran/Jimenez
    for
    Manea/Bassitt
    I'd give Duran and Dalbec for Mountcastle, even though BTV does not accept due to it being a major overpay by the Sox.

BTV accepted this unrealistic trade:

Duran, Dalbec, Downs, Mata, Groome
    for
    Means and Mountcastle

The 3-D for 2-M deal.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd give Duran and Dalbec for Mountcastle, even though BTV does not accept due to it being a major overpay by the Sox.

BTV accepted this unrealistic trade:

Duran, Dalbec, Downs, Mata, Groome
    for
    Means and Mountcastle

The 3-D for 2-M deal.
    Really trying to start a dynasty down in B-more, huh?

Deity
    If he is outwardly saying that he's looking to move on, I guess you can move him to 2b if you find a better SS this offseason.
    If the Sox are not going to spend on Schwarber, are they willing to spend on Correa/Seager/Story?

Deity
    Really trying to start a dynasty down in B-more, huh?
    Well somebody needs to do it. Mike Elias is clearly not up to the task...

If the Sox are not going to spend on Schwarber, are they willing to spend on Correa/Seager/Story?
    Does Schwarber play SS?