Register now to remove this ad

Page 128 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2956

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Understating the importance of the bullpen is a major mistake. Almost all close games are decided by the bullpens. Trying to piece one together " on the fly" is not a good idea. It is very hard to win without a really good pen. It is possible , but difficult to do. And it all starts with having a first rate , reliable closer . Then you work from there. Our saves leader in 2019 had 16 saves. In 2020 it was 9 saves. Last year it was 24. The Sox , despite a really good lineup , did not come close to winning the division in any of those last three years.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    With more players or the same amount of fatter ones?
    A combination of both.
    C'mon, do something...

Just handle it like the 1942 White Sox.

They used 41 year old Ted Lyons only on Sundays. Lyons made 20 starts, threw 180 innings and finished 14-6 with a 2.10 ERA.

So you just need a pitcher like that…
    I would expand rosters to 28 players. I would allow for an unlimited amount of pitching changes.

BUT pitchers are only allowed 3 warm up pitches on the mound unless the replacement is due to injury.
    C'mon, do something...

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I would expand rosters to 28 players. I would allow for an unlimited amount of pitching changes.

BUT pitchers are only allowed 3 warm up pitches on the mound unless the replacement is due to injury.
    Expanding to 28 would be a major get by the players, and would likely lessen demands in other areas. It would be a huge job security boost and pay increase for the 2 players added (from minor league play to major league pay.)

I think 26-27 is enough, and I don't want to add to the chances more RP'ers are called in per game. It's the most boring part of the game, to me.

I think adding a roster spot for double headers only would be enough.
    Sox 4 Ever

The NFL teams have 47 players active on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Understating the importance of the bullpen is a major mistake. Almost all close games are decided by the bullpens. Trying to piece one together " on the fly" is not a good idea. It is very hard to win without a really good pen. It is possible , but difficult to do. And it all starts with having a first rate , reliable closer . Then you work from there. Our saves leader in 2019 had 16 saves. In 2020 it was 9 saves. Last year it was 24. The Sox , despite a really good lineup , did not come close to winning the division in any of those last three years.
    I don't think anyone disagrees about how important the pen is.

The trickier question is how much money to allocate to it.

A big question for the Red Sox is whether to leave Whitlock and Houck in the pen or give them a shot at starting. We've had lots of chat about that here, of course!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

A big question for the Red Sox is whether to leave Whitlock and Houck in the pen or give them a shot at starting. We've had lots of chat about that here, of course!
    Although Wacha and Hill have been used in the pen and could be for the Sox, I think they might have the inside track on winning rotation slots, leaving Houck and Whitlock as cornerstones to the 2022 Sox pen.

1. Eovaldi
    2. Sale
    3. Pivetta
    4. Wacha
    5. Hill
    (Paxtom maybe replaces the worst of the five, if and when he joins the team.)

I think the plan is to fill in a slot or two in the pen:

1. Houck
    2. Whitlock
    3. ______
    4. Barnes
    5. Brasier
    6. Taylor
    7. Davis (no options)
    8. Sawamura/DHern/Valdez/Bazardo
    (Seabold/Winckowski)
    Sox 4 Ever

One practical problem with doubleheaders now is that with starters only going 4-5 innings, they could instantly fry a bullpen.
    Solutions:
    1) Have starting pitchers go more than 4-5 innings. Hey, it could happen!
    2) All DH's to be seven inning games.

Relax, I'm just spitballing, trying to come up with ideas to make baseball more attractive to people who aren't hardcore fans like us.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Solutions:
    1) Have starting pitchers go more than 4-5 innings. Hey, it could happen!
    2) All DH's to be seven inning games.

Relax, I'm just spitballing, trying to come up with ideas to make baseball more attractive to people who aren't hardcore fans like us.
    I'm very relaxed.

I'm also realistic though, I think. That trend with shorter outings for starters is not going to reverse...it's a snowball rolling downhill.

Another point about doubleheaders - if the average fan thinks the game is too slow and too long now, it seems unlikely they're going to want twice in one day...

I think that idea actually does appeal more to hardcore fans like us.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I'm very relaxed.

I'm also realistic though, I think. That trend with shorter outings for starters is not going to reverse...it's a snowball rolling downhill.

Another point about doubleheaders - if the average fan thinks the game is too slow and too long now, it seems unlikely they're going to want twice in one day...

I think that idea actually does appeal more to hardcore fans like us.

I think any solution I propose will be towards hard core fans. It’s the only mentality I understand.

If the bullpen is always the first place to look when you want to save money , then it probably is not high on your list of priorities. And it should be. As I said before, a close game will almost certainly come down to a battle of the bullpens.

Deity
    If the bullpen is always the first place to look when you want to save money , then it probably is not high on your list of priorities. And it should be. As I said before, a close game will almost certainly come down to a battle of the bullpens.
    If the Sox keep Houck and Whitlock in the bullpen, they do have five good options anchoring it with those two, Taylor, Barnes and Brasier. Hopefully they add another arm or two back there, but it’s probably not the weakness on this current roster.

Sawamura probably takes the sixth spot, but the last two relievers (Darwinzon Hernandez and Austin Davis) are prime to be upgraded. Hernandez is a viable trade candidate, due to his salary, years of control, and 102 mph fastball. Davis would be more in line for a DFA…
    Last edited by notin; 01-15-2022 at 01:36 PM.

If the Sox keep Houck and Whitlock in the bullpen, they do have five good options anchoring it with those two, Taylor, Barnes and Brasier. Hopefully they add another arm or two back there, but it’s probably not the weakness on this current roster…
    Houck and Whitlock would certainly help. Keeping them in the bullpen might depend on the performance of the new acquisitions to the starting rotation.

Deity
    Houck and Whitlock would certainly help. Keeping them in the bullpen might depend on the performance of the new acquisitions to the starting rotation.

Possible, but I hope not. Just like you think the bullpen is not a place to save money, it’s also really not a place to keep starter depth. Let relievers be relievers…

By Rob Bradford

This day - when teams can officially start signing international prospects - sometimes goes under the radar. But considering it usually spawns some of Major League Baseball's biggest stars, it shouldn't.

It's why news of the Red Sox maneuvering on Day 1 of the signing period should be of some note.

According to MLB.com, the Sox have agreed to terms with two of the top shortstop prospects in the international class, allocating significant signing bonuses for Freili Encarnacion ($1.2 million) and Fraymi De Leon ($1.1 million), both of who hail from the Dominican Republic.

Per WEEI: The Sox also reportedly have come to terms with highly-regarded Venezuelan catcher Johanfran Garcia (approximately $650,000).

Lets hope they all pan out and become major leaguers.
    Last edited by Tedballgame; 01-15-2022 at 02:25 PM.