Register now to remove this ad

Page 133 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2956

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

  1. #1981
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    52,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Seager got $325 mill, so that might be the proper comp now.
    I forgot about that bad contract. I guess the Betts' deal is a steal these days!
    C'mon, do something...

  2. #1982
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I seriously doubt Bloom & Co. see Correa as the one to splurge on.
    Still waiting for Bloom to sign the anyone for more than two years...

  3. #1983
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Still waiting for Bloom to sign the anyone for more than two years...
    It will happen.

    I was pretty sure it would happen, this winter, and maybe it still will, but I wonder...
    Sox 4 Ever

  4. #1984
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Houston seems like a franchise that picks and chooses which stars to pay to stay (cue Dombro: "We can't keep them all.").

    They did well to lock up Bregman when he was young at an affordable rate. But Cole was immediately wearing a different cap in the presser after the '19 Series, and Correa also seemed to know that he would go, after laughing at the Astros' offer that was half what he was seeking. Was Beltran in his prime ever offered fair market value?

    Big and short on Verlander looks like a good approach for savvy clubs...
    Yes, you are right. One could argue it would have been too expensive to keep everyone: Springer, Correa, Cole...

    I like the Bregman extension, too, but he did not have a great 2021.
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #1985
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It will happen.

    I was pretty sure it would happen, this winter, and maybe it still will, but I wonder...
    Even after the year end press conference that Kennedy, and Bloom had you still thought that?

  6. #1986
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Even after the year end press conference that Kennedy, and Bloom had you still thought that?
    Yes, I did.

    3 year deals don't have to be mega ones.

    I also don't take what big brass say as the gospel, either.
    Sox 4 Ever

  7. #1987
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, I did.

    3 year deals don't have to be mega ones.

    I also don't take what big brass say as the gospel, either.
    Well think what you want, but so far they have done exactly what they said they were going to do. If they were going to spend money this year I would have hoped they would have spent it on pitching instead of signing the likes of Whacka, and by the way you got your big contract when they traded for the overpriced JBJ. I’ll take what the big brass say as gospel until they do different, and wishful think isn’t going to change that.

  8. #1988
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Well think what you want, but so far they have done exactly what they said they were going to do. If they were going to spend money this year I would have hoped they would have spent it on pitching instead of signing the likes of Whacka, and by the way you got your big contract when they traded for the overpriced JBJ. Iíll take what the big brass say as gospel until they do different, and wishful think isnít going to change that.
    GMs often say one thing and do another.

    It was reported they made ERod a "multi-year offer," but I guess that could have been just 2 years.

    It was also reported we were in on Baez and are currently in on Suzuki. It's hard to imagine being "in" with just a 1 or 2 year deal.

    I don't see it as wishful thinking. For one thing, I don't wish we sign someone to 3+ years, if I don't like the player.

    I like the idea of limiting long term contracts to only very deserving players, and I think that is the team strategy, right now.

    The reason we have not signed anyone for more than 3 years might be more about the amount of money than the years.
    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #1989
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    GMs often say one thing and do another.

    It was reported they made ERod a "multi-year offer," but I guess that could have been just 2 years.

    It was also reported we were in on Baez and are currently in on Suzuki. It's hard to imagine being "in" with just a 1 or 2 year deal.

    I don't see it as wishful thinking. For one thing, I don't wish we sign someone to 3+ years, if I don't like the player.

    I like the idea of limiting long term contracts to only very deserving players, and I think that is the team strategy, right now.

    The reason we have not signed anyone for more than 3 years might be more about the amount of money than the years.
    Yes GMís do say one thing, and do another, but so far the Red Sox have followed the same plan for 2 years now, and so far this year have stuck to last years plan just like they said they would.
    Reports of offering players contracts, and actually offering contracts doesnít always mean they were offered, or legit. The Sox offered Lester a contract knowing he wouldnít take itjust like they did with Betts. It meant absolutely nothing, so to keep on thinking the Sox are going to do something big to me is wishful thinking. Donít get me wrong I would like to see them lock up Bogey, and Raffy, but I donít think that will happen. Iím just going on for the 100th time on what Bloom, and Kennedy have said, and not my opinion, so I donít know what you are going on. Another head scratcher?

  10. #1990
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Yes GM’s do say one thing, and do another, but so far the Red Sox have followed the same plan for 2 years now, and so far this year have stuck to last years plan just like they said they would.
    Reports of offering players contracts, and actually offering contracts doesn’t always mean they were offered, or legit. The Sox offered Lester a contract knowing he wouldn’t take itjust like they did with Betts. It meant absolutely nothing, so to keep on thinking the Sox are going to do something big to me is wishful thinking. Don’t get me wrong I would like to see them lock up Bogey, and Raffy, but I don’t think that will happen. I’m just going on for the 100th time on what Bloom, and Kennedy have said, and not my opinion, so I don’t know what you are going on. Another head scratcher?
    I am not certain the Sox will "do something big," this winter, and I don't want them to, if it's the wrong signing. For example, I don't want us to go large and long on Story.

    I would like to see us get Suzuki, and maybe that is wishful thinking to believe we are even making a 3+ year offer, but I'm pretty sure we are, will or already did that.

    I'm guessing we made Baez a 3+ year offer but came up short. I have no evidence, and with him, I do wish we had gotten him.

    You act like I am saying I am sure we will sign someone long term, this winter. I am not sure, but I think we might, and Suzuki looks like the best bet.

    I do think eventually, most likely by spring of 2023, we will sign someone to 3+ years and big money- maybe Devers.

    Maybe the strategy will continue to be no large and long deals, but I think if we go that route, we will eventually see large and short deals or long and moderate deals.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 01-19-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #1991
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I am not certain the Sox will "do something big," this winter, and I don't want them to, if it's the wrong signing. For example, I don't want us to go large and long on Story.

    I would like to see us get Suzuki, and maybe that is wishful thinking to believe we are even making a 3+ year offer, but I'm pretty sure we are, will or already did that.

    I'm guessing we made Baez a 3+ year offer but came up short. I have no evidence, and with him, I do wish we had gotten him.

    You act like I am saying I am sure we will sign someone long term, this winter. I am not sure, but I think we might, and Suzuki looks like the best bet.

    I do think eventually, most likely by spring of 2023, we will sign someone to 3+ years and big money- maybe Devers.

    Maybe the strategy will continue to be no large and long deals, but I think if we go that route, we will eventually see large and short deals or long and moderate deals.
    I know I’m a broken record, but my opinions are based on what Kennedy, and Bloom said, and so far how they have done business for the last two years. I doubt they made any Serious offers to anyone this off season outside of the Whacka types, and must have had a weak moment when they took back JBJ, and his contract , so when you say you are not sure the Sox will sign someone long term this winter, but think they might what is that based on?

  12. #1992
    Legend Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I know I’m a broken record, but my opinions are based on what Kennedy, and Bloom said, and so far how they have done business for the last two years. I doubt they made any Serious offers to anyone this off season outside of the Whacka types, and must have had a weak moment when they took back JBJ, and his contract , so when you say you are not sure the Sox will sign someone long term this winter, but think they might what is that based on?
    I'm with you on this issue. I also pay attention to what the team says, including our manager. I'm not around people that lie constantly and I would hate to think Bloom is that type. He's pretty much done what he said he'd do.

    What I WANT and what I THINK the team will do is always different.
    Last edited by Nick; 01-19-2022 at 04:33 PM.
    Not over till the fat lady sings.

  13. #1993
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I know Iím a broken record, but my opinions are based on what Kennedy, and Bloom said, and so far how they have done business for the last two years. I doubt they made any Serious offers to anyone this off season outside of the Whacka types, and must have had a weak moment when they took back JBJ, and his contract , so when you say you are not sure the Sox will sign someone long term this winter, but think they might what is that based on?
    It's based on rumors we are a top contender for Suzuki, rumors we were in on Baez, rumors we offered ERod "multi years," and the fact that we have been big spenders for many years in a row, including last year.

    The problem with last year was that we had about $40M to spend and 10 slots to fill. This year, we have about the same amunt of money but only 4-6 slots to fill, so I'm thinking we may spend more due to less players needed with the same spending budget.

    I might be wrong.

    Do you really think there is a zero percent change we go 3+ years on Suzuki based an a ew comments made months ago by a couple top brass guys?

    For one thing, contexts change. The new CBA agreement may make it more (or less) likely we sign someone long nd large.

    Do I have to define what "might" means to me to see if it means something different to you?

    Sox 4 Ever

  14. #1994
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    58,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm with you on this issue. I also pay attention to what the team says, including our manager. I'm not around people that lie constantly and I would hate to think Bloom is that type. He's pretty much done what he said he'd do.

    What I WANT and what I THINK the team will do is always different.
    What Old Red is talking about was more about what Kennedy said months ago.

    How many times have you heard a GM say we are not looking to trade so and so, only to see that so and so traded days or weeks later?

    Look, I certainly see a strong possibility we make no big deals, this winter. We may extend Devers after the season starts, but even that is up in the air.

    Sox 4 Ever

  15. #1995
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's based on rumors we are a top contender for Suzuki, rumors we were in on Baez, rumors we offered ERod "multi years," and the fact that we have been big spenders for many years in a row, including last year.

    The problem with last year was that we had about $40M to spend and 10 slots to fill. This year, we have about the same amunt of money but only 4-6 slots to fill, so I'm thinking we may spend more due to less players needed with the same spending budget.

    I might be wrong.

    Do you really think there is a zero percent change we go 3+ years on Suzuki based an a ew comments made months ago by a couple top brass guys?

    For one thing, contexts change. The new CBA agreement may make it more (or less) likely we sign someone long nd large.

    Do I have to define what "might" means to me to see if it means something different to you?

    Maybe you should have done the year end press conference since you seem to know more than Kennedy, and Bloom. NOT. All wishful thinking on your part.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •