Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 198 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 2956

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

  1. #16
    Legend Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,594
    Possible Help from the Farm per Sox Prospects

    Position Players
    2022
    1B Casas
    OF Duran
    SS Downs
    C Wong
    2023
    C Hernandez
    2024
    SS Mayer
    2B Yorke
    3B Blaze
    OF Jimenez

    Pitchers
    2022
    Seabold
    Winchowski
    2023
    Bello
    Groome
    Matta
    Murphy
    Walter
    Ward
    2024
    Song
    Not over till the fat lady sings.

  2. #17
    Legend Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If starters only go 18 batters, maybe they can go back to 4 man rotations.

    Teams can have 8 -4 inning men and 5 short relief guys.
    8 starters and 5 closers...that works for me....
    Not over till the fat lady sings.

  3. #18
    Legend vegasbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    6,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We may get to the point we don't even talk about starting rotations and bullpens any more, just pitching staffs.

    With the need for 7-8 traditional "starters" to cover a 162 game season , and shortage of effective pitchers who can go 6-7 innings, the transition to pitching staffs with 2-3 inning guys (Houck; Whitlock ?) and bullpen games using a planned 5-6 pitchers is already well under way.

    The analytic stats about the 3rd time through a lineup, along with the requirement to be hard throwing 94-98mph throwers, and prevalence of TJ surgery dictates a change in how to manage pitching. You won't see playoff intense pitching decisions but you will see a departure from old school Ace--#5 staffs.

  4. #19
    Legend Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    With the need for 7-8 traditional "starters" to cover a 162 game season , and shortage of effective pitchers who can go 6-7 innings, the transition to pitching staffs with 2-3 inning guys (Houck; Whitlock ?) and bullpen games using a planned 5-6 pitchers is already well under way.

    The analytic stats about the 3rd time through a lineup, along with the requirement to be hard throwing 94-98mph throwers, and prevalence of TJ surgery dictates a change in how to manage pitching. You won't see playoff intense pitching decisions but you will see a departure from old school Ace--#5 staffs.
    Good points....

    I'm also wondering if teams are factoring in the cost of traditional starting pitchers.....

    Has nothing to do with anything but I read in a Tampa paper indicating 3 starters that were used against the Sox lacked major league experience (very little that is)....that they were all newbies if you well. Feeling is they are all good pitchers and will be a factor in 2022. I'm wondering if the owners are beginning to question G Cole type signings. It's scary to think the Yankees have eight or nine more years at $36M per for Cole (that's $10M+ more than Sale).....if they can win couple of World Series then maybe it would have been worth it.

    Bottom line is they need to upgrade the team. G Cole alone will not get them to the Promise Land.
    Last edited by Nick; 10-24-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    Not over till the fat lady sings.

  5. #20
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    8 starters and 5 closers...that works for me....
    If starters all start going just 3-4 innings, we will need more long men who can go 3-4 innings, so yes, basically 8 "starter/longmen."
    Sox 4 Ever

  6. #21
    Legend Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,594
    Question for you Moon

    Are we destine to be that wait for that big inning team? I don't know if we can manufacture runs. Most frustrating thing at Fenway is three singles will not guaranty a run. I don't know if there are any stats out there for percentage of run scored from second on a single but I'm sure we're at the bottom, having to play half of our games at Fenway.

    Just not sure what our 'identity' should be going forward.
    Not over till the fat lady sings.

  7. #22
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Greensboro, NC, moved here July 2020
    Posts
    12,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, gone are the days when you thought the goal was to knock out the starter early so you could get into the crappy part of their bullpen.
    To Cora's credit, he went with long relievers--Valdez, Whitlock, and Houck--before the postseason. Your fundamental point, however, is correct. Forget starters and relievers. Think longers, shorters, and bridgers.

  8. #23
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,800
    The problem is when one of your 4 inning guys get shelled and can only go 1-2 innings. Can another guy go on 3 days rest? Do you need 10 guys that can go 3-4? That doesn't leave any room for 1 inning guys.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 10-24-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #24
    Legend Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    5,594
    Red Sox’s impressive assets should have Yankees very concerned NY Post...make the Yankee fans worry....

    1 and 2 (tie). Xander Bogaerts and Rafael Devers
    3. Alex Cora
    4. Garrett Whitlock
    5. Chaim Bloom
    Not over till the fat lady sings.

  10. #25
    Top 10 - the offseason playlist (pre Halloween)

    1.) we issue Rodriguez a q.o. And he does not take it.
    2.) Martinez does not opt out.
    3.) we pick up the Vazquez option.
    4.) we sign chris Taylor in free agency.
    5.) we trade Duran and two minor league pitchers to Oakland for manea.
    6.) arizona does not pick up the option on Merrill Kelly and we sign him.
    7.) we do not pick up the options on Perez and Richards.
    8.) we sign two relievers this offseason, just don’t know who yet.
    9.) we acquire an unknown closer.
    10.) hang’em Chaim publicly apologizes fir bungling the Benintendi trade!

    Book your 2022 World Series reservations now.

  11. #26
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Top 10 - the offseason playlist (pre Halloween)

    1.) we issue Rodriguez a q.o. And he does not take it.
    2.) Martinez does not opt out.
    3.) we pick up the Vazquez option.
    4.) we sign chris Taylor in free agency.
    5.) we trade Duran and two minor league pitchers to Oakland for manea.
    6.) arizona does not pick up the option on Merrill Kelly and we sign him.
    7.) we do not pick up the options on Perez and Richards.
    8.) we sign two relievers this offseason, just don’t know who yet.
    9.) we acquire an unknown closer.
    10.) hang’em Chaim publicly apologizes fir bungling the Benintendi trade!

    Book your 2022 World Series reservations now.
    The Beni trade is far from over.

    It was two years of Beni control, and with the money saved, we got Renfroe and Sawamura.

    Win-win, and that's before what we see on any of the 4 prospects.
    Sox 4 Ever

  12. #27
    Great season .

    Wish list
    1 extend Devers
    2 extend Kike
    3trade Xander
    4 trade JDM supplemented If needed
    5 trade Bobby .
    6Sign Kyle
    7sign Bryant
    8Sign Marcus Semien
    9Trade Duran
    10 trade Renfroe
    11.Sign Izzy
    12trade Arroyo or release
    13Promote Casas
    14 sign Ray
    15Sign Verlander
    16 transition Whit to starter
    17 trade Barnes supplemented
    18 Houck to compete for closer .
    19 if no verlander look for Thor .
    20 jettison Perez Erod Richards Darwinzon sawamura
    21Keep Pivetta in Pen
    22Keep Robles
    I know this is an insane list but I’d be happy for a few of these to come to fruition.The Farm is pretty decent will surely help either in player acquisitions now or supplement what we have

  13. #28
    What exactly happened to Barnes? Did I miss the announcement where the Red Sox said why he wasn't used down the stretch and was left off the ALCS roster? Sore arm? Covid side-effects? Seriously, even if there were mental health issues, you'd think someone in the media would have inquired in an interview with Cora or Bloom this month... unless they all know and are keeping it quiet...

    The reason a team's All-Star closer was unavailable in the playoffs is news that at least the national media would report. Did any players or coaches ever talk about it?

    At least Devers now admits that he was injured. Maybe we won't find out about Barnes until someday soon when the PR dept. subtly issues a press release about an operation.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    What exactly happened to Barnes? Did I miss the announcement where the Red Sox said why he wasn't used down the stretch and was left off the ALCS roster? Sore arm? Covid side-effects? Seriously, even if there were mental health issues, you'd think someone in the media would have inquired in an interview with Cora or Bloom this month... unless they all know and are keeping it quiet...

    The reason a team's All-Star closer was unavailable in the playoffs is news that at least the national media would report. Did any players or coaches ever talk about it?

    At least Devers now admits that he was injured. Maybe we won't find out about Barnes until someday soon when the PR dept. subtly issues a press release about an operation.
    https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/10...-stars-future/

    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red...ry-late-season

  15. #30
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,800
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    What exactly happened to Barnes? Did I miss the announcement where the Red Sox said why he wasn't used down the stretch and was left off the ALCS roster? Sore arm? Covid side-effects? Seriously, even if there were mental health issues, you'd think someone in the media would have inquired in an interview with Cora or Bloom this month... unless they all know and are keeping it quiet...

    The reason a team's All-Star closer was unavailable in the playoffs is news that at least the national media would report. Did any players or coaches ever talk about it?

    At least Devers now admits that he was injured. Maybe we won't find out about Barnes until someday soon when the PR dept. subtly issues a press release about an operation.
    Blame it on a pepper...

    https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red...ry-late-season
    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •