Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 198 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I think this is a bad sign of things to come for the Sox. The fact that E Rod signed so quick looks like there wasn’t much negotiations back, and forth with the Sox, and he wanted out. If the Sox won’t spend on one of their own then I don’t see them spending for anyone else, which means bargain hunting like last year.
    If there is one thing the Sox have been very good at (except for Lester) is valuing their own players when they reach free agency.

I don't share your view that this winter will be a frugal one for Bloom. It may be, but I think we may go large on long on a FA or make a big trade.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If there is one thing the Sox have been very good at (except for Lester) is valuing their own players when they reach free agency.

I don't share your view that this winter will be a frugal one for Bloom. It may be, but I think we may go large on long on a FA or make a big trade.
    And you are basing your big FA signing, and trade on what? I basing my opinion on what the brass said at year end press conference, which was same blueprint as last year. I hope you are right, but hoping, and wishing won’t make it so.

I’m going by what Sam Kennedy said at the end of year press conference that the Red Sox were going to follow the same blueprint as last year, which to me means there won’t be any big long term contracts coming Boston’s way this off season, and no big trades despite all the hopes, and wishes of all the pundits on here.
    I think the blueprint is:

1. grow the farm system for sustainability
    2. short term contracts for FA MLB talent

@kaitlyncmcgrath
    Per a source, confirming what’s been reported elsewhere. #BlueJays agree to an extension with José Berríos, pending a physical, valued at $131 million over seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If Vaz didn't get the option picked up, they could've grabbed him. Oh well.
    They could have traded Vaz or Plawecki and his estimated $2.1M arb and essentially pay $2M a year more for Pina.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    How many innings is Pina capable of playing, though?
    He's 34. Maybe every other day or slightly more?

I’m going by what Sam Kennedy said at the end of year press conference that the Red Sox were going to follow the same blueprint as last year, which to me means there won’t be any big long term contracts coming Boston’s way this off season, and no big trades despite all the hopes, and wishes of all the pundits on here.
    The blueprint might be we spend $40M, like last year, but we literally cannot sign 10 guys, like last winter, so something is going to be different.

If we spend $40M on 3 guys, we'll likely go large on one. If we spend $40M on 4-5 guys, maybe it will be more moderate deals, but I seriously doubt the most we spend on one player is $14M/2 like Kike or $10M/1 like Richards.

We might, but I doubt it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    They could have traded Vaz or Plawecki and his estimated $2.1M arb and essentially pay $2M a year more for Pina.
    If Vaz is the weak link you promote him as being, why would any other team be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @kaitlyncmcgrath
    Per a source, confirming what’s been reported elsewhere. #BlueJays agree to an extension with José Berríos, pending a physical, valued at $131 million over seven years.
    Not a bad deal for the Jays.

Legend
    I think this is likely. That said, it is a very strong FA class, so there are likely a couple of true impact signings which the team will look at.

I am surprised but not shocked the Red Sox did not outbid the Tigers for Rodriguez. 5 years is risky with his health history. I'd have done 3 years, 50-60 million myself without much regret. While I thought Rodriguez might just take the QO and try to play his value up, that he ran to financial security makes a ton of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If Vaz is the weak link you promote him as being, why would any other team be interested?
    He has some pluses. I don't see him as a net negative player, but I do not think he's worth $7M.

Bloom does, and my guess is other GMs do, too.

I don't project my feelings on other GMs. I make suggestions on moves based on my opinions- not Bloom's.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    I think this is likely. That said, it is a very strong FA class, so there are likely a couple of true impact signings which the team will look at.

I am surprised but not shocked the Red Sox did not outbid the Tigers for Rodriguez. 5 years is risky with his health history. I'd have done 3 years, 50-60 million myself without much regret. While I thought Rodriguez might just take the QO and try to play his value up, that he ran to financial security makes a ton of sense.
    It's not a strong FA class for what we need: pitching.

Deity
    I still think there is a possibility Plawecki is non-tendered. It might come down to what's more valuable.

1. Plawecki as a $2-2.5mill backup catcher?
    2. Or the 40 man roster spot?

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post

$60M/3 is pretty "secure," even when compared to $77M/5.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I still think there is a possibility Plawecki is non-tendered. It might come down to what's more valuable.

1. Plawecki as a $2-2.5mill backup catcher?
    2. Or the 40 man roster spot?
    I think we trade or non-tender Plawecki. We may go with Wong or make a trade for a defense only catcher.