Register now to remove this ad

Page 85 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2956

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think Semien could make that contract look really ugly. He wasn't a sure thing for the vast majority of his career.
    I guess some GMs look more at recent 1-3 years than career numbers.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

His defense has been stellar for the past 4 years. He has hit in 2 of those 4 years and when he is on, he is a force to be reckoned with. But 7 years for a 31 year old SS is a lot and will likely be an albatross for the Rangers. But they could not hit once they dealt off Gallo last year. They needed to fix that
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    His defense has been stellar for the past 4 years. He has hit in 2 of those 4 years and when he is on, he is a force to be reckoned with. But 7 years for a 31 year old SS is a lot and will likely be an albatross for the Rangers. But they could not hit once they dealt off Gallo last year. They needed to fix that
    Probably safer to roll the dice with Semien than Seager since Semien can actually stay on the field.

@Buster_ESPN
    It does seem more than a little weird that the owners and players are prepared to completely shut down a financial system that individual parties on both sides are exploiting in the last days and hours before the CBA deadline. Talk about mixed messages.

@RobertStock6
    A reminder to the layman that the owners are the ones locking the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @Buster_ESPN
    It does seem more than a little weird that the owners and players are prepared to completely shut down a financial system that individual parties on both sides are exploiting in the last days and hours before the CBA deadline. Talk about mixed messages.

@RobertStock6
    A reminder to the layman that the owners are the ones locking the doors.
    Robert Stock keepin' it real!
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Scherzer to Mets 3 years/$130 millin.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 11-29-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Amazing.

I was thinking $80M/2.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Amazing.

I was thinking $80M/2.
    I wouldn’t pay any player $30M/yr, and I certainly wouldn’t pay $40M/yr. a signing like this ups the price for everyone else, and no one is worth it. Some teams will make moves like this, and the Sox will cash in bottles, and cans, and sign a Whack a.

How does one team play one player $43MM a year and have MLB maintain any credibility at the bargaining table?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Why is it that some players want to sign before the lockout? Is there a financial advantage?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Is Oprah worth what she made?

Are actors worth what they make? Musicians?

People pay tremendous amounts of money to see these guys. The owners make a ton of money. I just don't get why people get so upset when people make a bunch of money with their talent and not their daddy's checkbook.

Why is it that some players want to sign before the lockout? Is there a financial advantage?
    I think, if there is no agreement made, they may decide to play under the old rules until one is reached. One might feel more secure knowing you have a contract.

I did find this, which seems strange...

However, players who are rehabbing injuries during the lockout will continue to receive pay and can access team facilities for rehab until the player is medically cleared...

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    How does one team play one player $43MM a year and have MLB maintain any credibility at the bargaining table?
    I know.

They cry poverty over their own spending woes.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Is Oprah worth what she made?

Are actors worth what they make? Musicians?

People pay tremendous amounts of money to see these guys. The owners make a ton of money. I just don't get why people get so upset when people make a bunch of money with their talent and not their daddy's checkbook.

The MLB players are the cream of the crop of baseball players and we as fans are willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money to see them play.
    What I find interesting is that while we question paying Scherzer $43.3MM a year, the Mets must figure he can make more than that for the owners. I find it mind-boggling how much money there is floating around out there in Major League Baseball.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

It's just impossible for some fans to ignore the numbers, as if $20 million a year is ok to pay one single human being for any job, but never $30 million or $40 million!

For those that can, it may be easier to just accept that the best professionals at any position and industry deserve whatever salary is currently at the top of their market.

Scherzer is as good as it gets on the mound right now, Trout is the best all-around player, Betts has proven he's as good as any other position player, Tatis and Franco are the best young stars, etc. etc. etc.