Register now to remove this ad

Page 35 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'm not sure Jeter Downs carries the appeal he did 12 months ago. I haven't given up on him and think he was placed in a very bad position, basically skipping AA ball after missing a year, but I do think it means any trade of him is definitely selling low, assuming any team is interested at all...
    Downs is hitting well in the fall league- for what's that worth.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Baseball Trade Values may deem a proposed trade a fair deal but that does not mean the package is the best the Cincinnati Reds would receive for two years of a reasonably priced top-tier starter in Luis Castillo.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...date=&enddate=

A team will likely need to overpay in a trade for the nearly 29-year-old righthander.
    My suggested trade was an overpay. I tried to pay even more, but BTV would not accept my trade.

TJS is certainly not the career ender it used to be, but so far history has shown many pitchers need a second one after about 600 IP. And the frequency of getting a second TJS is too high to ignore.

I think the health history alone does make Houck the far more appealing trade target of the two. But giving up on Houck to get Castillo is still a dilemma. I'd probably consider trading Casas over Houck, but not sure how interested Cincinnati is in Casas given that Votto still has 2 years (and $57mill) on his contract, can't play anywhere else, and is virtually untradable even without taking into consideration his 10-5 rights...
    I'd put Houck ahead of Whitlock for the same reason, but I still think he belongs in the group of 5.

4 have rejected their QO- as expected:

Castellanos

Conforto

C Seager

Semien

Did mvp recommend Escobar?

If so, I’m off Escobar now…
    I didn't recommend Escobar for the Sox. I was just saying that his projected deal was a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I like the both bullpen guys, but don't think Bloom will sign more than one established reliever this winter. He's not going to spend $80 million on free agent closers, when he can pick up a Joe Kelly for less (2/12? 3/15?), or deal for minimum wage arms he's undoubtedly targeting. And then if the front office deems the Sox contenders by mid-season, there are always decent recruits available at the deadline... like Graveman was, last summer.
    I agree that Bloom won't sign two "established" relievers. I'm not sure he signs even one.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    BTV "talked to Barzini" and the Sox can make a deal for Luis Castillo and still keep Casas/Mayer/Yorke...

...but lose all their Ds: -uran, -albec and -owns. They'd also give up Jay Groome-D the past Decade... plus Dilberto Dimenez. But toolsy Nick Senzel would be thrown in to become Boston's next Franchy (it might seem like an overpay, but not if the Reds are tired of waiting on a former MLB top-10 prospect).

If you think Boston would be giving up too much of the farm for a potential #1 starter, then so does Chaim Bloom... maybe. If just two of those five prospects become MLB All-Stars, the Reds win the trade, right?

Remember, Pedro Martinez had just won the NL CY Young Award when the Sox acquired him from Montreal. For the rest of his career, Pedro won 154 games, while the two guys he was swapped for -- Pavano and Armas -- won 161 combined. Then there's WAR: Pavano + Armas career = 23.3; Martinez post-trade 58.4.
    Martinez was coming off 5 fWAR and 8.5 fWAR back to back seasons. Castillo is NOT at that level. That trade is an ovepay

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I agree that Bloom won't sign two "established" relievers. I'm not sure he signs even one.
    I like the ide of keeping Houck and Whitlock on the pen to anchor it. If Barnes can rebound somewhat, then Taylor, Brasier, Valdez, Hernandez and Valdez combine to make for a very solid bullpen...

Per the simulator at BTV, a fair deal would be Castillo, Eugenio Suarez (and his 3 years $38.5mill left) and Nick Senzel for Tanner Houck and Jarren Duran.

Or - Castillo and Suarez for Houck and Dalbec.

Or - Castillo and Mike Moustakas (2 yrs - $38mill) for Duran, Dalbec and Brayan Bello.

There you go - deals where the Sox do get to keep Casas, Mayer and Yorke. Of course, they do have to give up Houck, or take back Mike Moustakas. So it's not necessarily a good thing...
    I'm fine with deal #1.

TJS is certainly not the career ender it used to be, but so far history has shown many pitchers need a second one after about 600 IP. And the frequency of getting a second TJS is too high to ignore.

I think the health history alone does make Houck the far more appealing trade target of the two. But giving up on Houck to get Castillo is still a dilemma. I'd probably consider trading Casas over Houck, but not sure how interested Cincinnati is in Casas given that Votto still has 2 years (and $57mill) on his contract, can't play anywhere else, and is virtually untradable even without taking into consideration his 10-5 rights...
    Hard disagree.

I like the ide of keeping Houck and Whitlock on the pen to anchor it. If Barnes can rebound somewhat, then Taylor, Brasier, Valdez, Hernandez and Valdez combine to make for a very solid bullpen...
    And he doesn't have to be 1st half of 2021 good, just a normal Barnes year would be fine.

Deity
    I didn't recommend Escobar for the Sox. I was just saying that his projected deal was a good value.
    ... which could be interpreted as a mild recommendation. Unless you are opposed to good value...

Deity
    Hard disagree.
    Would you give up Houck to get Castillo?

I'm on the fence...

Would you give up Houck to get Castillo?

I'm on the fence...
    100%.

Martinez was coming off 5 fWAR and 8.5 fWAR back to back seasons. Castillo is NOT at that level. That trade is an ovepay
    It's certainly based on some big assumptions for a pitcher about to turn 29 and with 2 years of control left.

We were able to extend Pedro. I'm not Castillo will, or if it's worth extending him.

The kid has a lot of talent and has shown he can pitch, though.

Last 3 yrs:
    131 ERA+
    3.56 FIP