Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 393

Thread: Barnes extended

  1. #1

    Barnes extended

    2 year extension with an $8 mil club option. $7.5 mil annually with a signing bonus. $18.5 mil guaranteed. It’s a steal.

  2. #2
    Deity Kimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    26,662
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    2 year extension with an $8 mil club option. $7.5 mil annually with a signing bonus. $18.5 mil guaranteed. It’s a steal.
    I wouldn't say it's a steal, but it's a deal I can live with and I'm happy that we will have Barnes with the team for the next 2 seasons.

    Good deal for both sides.

  3. #3
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    38,224
    Wow, was not expecting this.

    Bloom is da man.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  4. #4
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    31,172
    Thus endeth the Barnes Trade Speculation….

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,524
    Very reasonable deal that gives us a solid performer for the next 2 or 3 years.

  6. #6
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    31,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a steal, but it's a deal I can live with and I'm happy that we will have Barnes with the team for the next 2 seasons.

    Good deal for both sides.
    It’s a steal if he continues his 2021 pace. Not so much if he reverts to his 2020 performance…

  7. #7
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    38,224
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It’s a steal if he continues his 2021 pace. Not so much if he reverts to his 2020 performance…
    You stop that LOL
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  8. #8
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    60,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I wouldn't say it's a steal, but it's a deal I can live with and I'm happy that we will have Barnes with the team for the next 2 seasons.

    Good deal for both sides.
    Kimmi, this is a highway robbery steal.
    Sox 4 Ever

  9. #9
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    60,263
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It’s a steal if he continues his 2021 pace. Not so much if he reverts to his 2020 performance…
    If that's what you think, then we can trade him, this winter, and it remains a mega steal.
    Sox 4 Ever

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Thus endeth the Barnes Trade Speculation….
    Wait... if someone thinks this is a steal, wouldn't some GM be willing to offer an even better package of prospects, now that Barnes is under (but not necessarily exhibiting) more control?

  11. #11
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    60,263
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Wait... if someone thinks this is a steal, wouldn't some GM be willing to offer an even better package of prospects, now that Barnes is under (but not necessarily exhibiting) more control?
    While true, he won't be traded.

    He is now our closer of the future at a much lower cost that the free agent market would have cost us.

    Now, which Barnes will we see going forward?

    To me, even the old Barnes is worth more than $8M/yr.
    Sox 4 Ever

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    While true, he won't be traded.

    He is now our closer of the future at a much lower cost that the free agent market would have cost us.

    Now, which Barnes will we see going forward?

    To me, even the old Barnes is worth more than $8M/yr.
    It's also a better value for the Sox, instead of, for example, last winter's Brad Hand at $11 for one year. The uncertainty of the upcoming CBA may also be a factor in the numbers Barnes accepted.

  13. #13
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    31,172
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Wait... if someone thinks this is a steal, wouldn't some GM be willing to offer an even better package of prospects, now that Barnes is under (but not necessarily exhibiting) more control?
    I so knew you were going to respond with something like this….

  14. #14
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    60,263
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It's also a better value for the Sox, instead of, for example, last winter's Brad Hand at $11 for one year. The uncertainty of the upcoming CBA may also be a factor in the numbers Barnes accepted.
    Unless Barnes implodes over the second half, I can't see any scenario where he would not have made way more than this deal.

    On paper, this is a mega steal for the Sox.

    While this season looks like an outlier, he has had several very good seasons.

    His 15.1 K/9 rate is not his career high. He had a 14.3 K/9 rate from 2018-2020. His 3.28 FIP over that time is very nice. (It's 2.04, this year.)

    His biggest improvement is with BB/9. It was 5.0 from 2018-2020 and is 2.4, now.

    Can he sustain this?

    We'll find out.

    Just a few short months ago, very few wanted him to touch the 9th inning.

    Sox 4 Ever

  15. #15
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    31,172
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Kimmi, this is a highway robbery steal.
    Basically we got Barnes for Ottavino money. Where are all those “he’s gonna get $20 mill” people?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •