Register now to remove this ad

Page 134 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2956

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Maybe you should have done the year end press conference since you seem to know more than Kennedy, and Bloom. NOT. All wishful thinking on your part.
    Where do I even hint at knowing what we WILL do, let alone more than they do?

I said there is a strong possibility we make no big moves.

You are assuming things I am not saying-- again.
    Sox 4 Ever

Maybe you should have done the year end press conference since you seem to know more than Kennedy, and Bloom. NOT. All wishful thinking on your part.
    Do you believe there is a 0% chance we sign Suzuki to 3+ years?

0% chance we even make a 3 or more year offer?

BTW, if we do sign Suzuki to 3 or more years, you will not hear me say, "I told you so," because I never did.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Do you believe there is a 0% chance we sign Suzuki to 3+ years?

0% chance we even make a 3 or more year offer?

BTW, if we do sign Suzuki to 3 or more years, you will not hear me say, "I told you so," because I never did.
    I could care less if we sign Suzuki, or not, and he’ll probably go to the Yankees anyway. You said you can’t trust the top brass. Has Bloom, and Kennedy throw out any BS, or did what they said they would do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yes, the word "afford" is subject to interpretation.
    I can afford to buy a lot of things but I can't justify them. The Sox couldn't justify paying Mookie 350 million. I don't blame them.

I could care less if we sign Suzuki, or not, and he’ll probably go to the Yankees anyway. You said you can’t trust the top brass. Has Bloom, and Kennedy throw out any BS, or did what they said they would do?
    Did Bloom or Kennedy actually say they were not going to issue any big contracts?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

At that season-ending press conference Bloom called Bogaerts and Devers "cornerstone players" and said he wants to keep them with the team long-term.

But he said something similar about Betts not long before trading him.

The best thing is not to pay too much attention to what the brass says. They're not obligated to broadcast their plans to anyone.

Deity
    Did Bloom or Kennedy actually say they were not going to issue any big contracts?
    Go back, and watch the press conference, and then you can form your own opinion.

Go back, and watch the press conference, and then you can form your own opinion.
    I've been reading highlights from it.

If it's a matter of "forming an opinion", that means they didn't say anything like that directly, which is what I would expect.

Deity
    I've been reading highlights from it.

If it's a matter of "forming an opinion", that means they didn't say anything like that directly, which is what I would expect.
    Everyone has their own opinions of what will happen. My opinion is formed by what Kennedy, and Bloom said plus what they have done so far the last two years, and all the bargain basement shopping they have done, and what they haven’t done such as long term contracts.

I did not ask if you wanted Suzuki. I'm not sure he'd be a good signing either. Hell, I liked the Rusney signing. I never pretend to know more than even the worst GM the Sox have ever had.

My question was- do you think there is a zero chance we offer or sign Suzuki to a 3 or more year deal?

Yes or No.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    At that season-ending press conference Bloom called Bogaerts and Devers "cornerstone players" and said he wants to keep them with the team long-term.

But he said something similar about Betts not long before trading him.

The best thing is not to pay too much attention to what the brass says. They're not obligated to broadcast their plans to anyone.
    Of course Bloom called Bogerts, and Devers cornerstone players, and said he wants to keep them long term, and the same about Mookie, and he probably did want to keep them. It would be bad PR if he didn’t, but that doesn’t mean the Red Sox would do so at any cost, and I think they pretty much knew that Mookie wasn’t going to stay anyway. Not quite the same as saying the Sox were pretty much going to follow the same plan as last year with short term contracts from lower rated FA. Moon keeps saying they spent $40M last year, but was that $40M more than the year before, or $40M just replacing what had left the team.

Deity
    I did not ask if you wanted Suzuki. I'm not sure he'd be a good signing either. Hell, I liked the Rusney signing. I never pretend to know more than even the worst GM the Sox have ever had.

My question was- do you think there is a zero chance we offer or sign Suzuki to a 3 or more year deal?

Yes or No.
    No. They could offer anyone a contract. The bigger question is was the contract legit. They offered Lester, and Mookie a contract too knowing that neither one would accept the offer. In other words it wasn’t a legit offer.

Everyone has their own opinions of what will happen. My opinion is formed by what Kennedy, and Bloom said plus what they have done so far the last two years, and all the bargain basement shopping they have done, and what they haven’t done such as long term contracts.
    So did they lie when they said they wanted to keep Devers long term?

It seems your interpretation of what they said at that "Gospel" press conference is at odds with other statements they made.

Look, I'm not saying they will make a big signing. I'm thinking there is a good chance they don't. I'm not taking a position they will. I just said they "might," and you ask me for proof of why I believe it "might happen." I can't prove something might possibly happen.

I ask again, do you really think there is NO chance we sign anyone for more than 2 years? If you think there is a 0.001% chance, is that a "might?"

Sox 4 Ever

No. They could offer anyone a contract. The bigger question is was the contract legit. They offered Lester, and Mookie a contract too knowing that neither one would accept the offer. In other words it wasn’t a legit offer.
    So, they might have offered Baez 3+ years knowing he'd say no, then kept that a secret from the public.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    So, they might have offered Baez 3+ years knowing he'd say no, then kept that a secret from the public.
    Do you know for sure they offered Baez any kind of contract, or are you going off rumors? If they did offer a contract for what, and how long?