Register now to remove this ad

Thread: RIP Julio Lugo

RIP Julio Lugo

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Thoughts go out to Lugo's family and Theo today.

Young former big leaguers dropping. Sucks man. Enjoy your life!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Young former big leaguers dropping. Sucks man. Enjoy your life!
    I got 17 years on Lugo.

Sooooo young!

This is shocking and very sad.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I remember in 07, Lugo was in this huge slump, I can't remember how longg it'd been without a hit but it was at least 10 games. At a seemingly random point late in one of those games, the crowd starts really getting into him and cheering him on, every at bat the crowd was going Let's go Lu-Go! and trying to will him to get a hit. He manages this piddly little single and the crowd goes nuts like we just won the World Series. Never seen the crowd rally for a guy like that before. It was a fun memory.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I remember in 07, Lugo was in this huge slump, I can't remember how longg it'd been without a hit but it was at least 10 games. At a seemingly random point late in one of those games, the crowd starts really getting into him and cheering him on, every at bat the crowd was going Let's go Lu-Go! and trying to will him to get a hit. He manages this piddly little single and the crowd goes nuts like we just won the World Series. Never seen the crowd rally for a guy like that before. It was a fun memory.
    Thanks for sharing.

Lugo was a good player. It would have really helped, if he could have filled the lead off slot, but his defense was a plus, until the injuries messed with that.

He played hurt, a lot.

RIP, Julio.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I remember Lugo actually having a pretty good World Series at the plate. Of course, I also remember him committing the error that might have cost Schilling a perfect game, as that was the only runner to reach from the first 27 hitters Schilling faced before he lost the no-hitter with 2 outs in the ninth on a clean single by leadoff hitter Shannon Stewart.

I wasn't as down on Lugo as many, but there were both bad and good memories of his time with Boston.

He was also once traded to the Cardinals for 1B Chris Duncan (son of legendary Cardinal pitching coach Dave Duncan). Sadly, neither player from that trade is still with us.

And I liked all the tweets by players lime Will Middlebrooks talking about how he worked with the young infielders in the Sox system. Lugo had his struggles with the Sox, but he clearly will be missed by many...