Register now to remove this ad

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football

Deity
    ND announced today that Alt would be sitting out the Bowl game, which was not unexpected. I think pretty much ND starting OL is gone now. So many players are now sitting out these Bowl games that you don’t get the teams that played all year, or finished the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    ND announced today that Alt would be sitting out the Bowl game, which was not unexpected. I think pretty much ND starting OL is gone now. So many players are now sitting out these Bowl games that you don’t get the teams that played all year, or finished the season.
    I mean the bowl game means nothing and he’s going top 10 in the draft. Jaylon Smith went from top 10-15 pick to falling to 2nd round because of a major knee injury he suffered in a meaningless bowl game. There is no benefit to these kids playing.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I mean the bowl game means nothing and he’s going top 10 in the draft. Jaylon Smith went from top 10-15 pick to falling to 2nd round because of a major knee injury he suffered in a meaningless bowl game. There is no benefit to these kids playing.
    I agree, and it’s the Bowl games that mean even less today, because of all the players who sit out.

I agree, and it’s the Bowl games that mean even less today, because of all the players who sit out.
    There does not seem to be an easy solution.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    There does not seem to be an easy solution.
    This just started not to many years ago, and it seems to be more, and more every year. I can’t blame the players for sitting out, and I don’t see any solution that would fix the problem.

This just started not to many years ago, and it seems to be more, and more every year. I can’t blame the players for sitting out, and I don’t see any solution that would fix the problem.
    It's weird how no NCAA basketball players sit out March Madness.

It's weird how no NCAA basketball players sit out March Madness.
    They all have the chance of being a champion in March madness and can even potentially improve their draft stock or if they play at a small school? Get noticed by the bigger schools/earn NIL deals. Ja Morants performance in March madness at Murray State definitely helped him. Same with Dame at Weber State and CJ McCollum at Lehigh.

Winning the “mayonnaise bowl” and dollar general bowl isn’t going to help these players stock and the games realistically don’t mean anything and football is also a much more dangerous sport than basketball in terms of potential long term/career ending injuries.
    Last edited by Jasonbay44; 12-13-2023 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    They all have the chance of being a champion in March madness and can even potentially improve their draft stock or if they play at a small school? Get noticed by the bigger schools/earn NIL deals. Ja Morants performance in March madness at Murray State definitely helped him. Same with Dame at Weber State and CJ McCollum at Lehigh.

Winning the “mayonnaise bowl” and dollar general bowl isn’t going to help these players stock and the games realistically don’t mean anything and football is also a much more dangerous sport than basketball in terms of potential long term/career ending injuries.
    I get that.

BTW, I knew about Ja, before the tourney, and I took Murray St to go to the final 8. I do think his play helped his draft slot.

I do think a nice bowl game can help, too, and since there are so few football games compared to b-ball. The injury factor is a huge issue, though, and I totally understand. It sucks for the fans and the university.

I

I get that.

BTW, I knew about Ja, before the tourney, and I took Murray St to go to the final 8. I do think his play helped his draft slot.

I do think a nice bowl game can help, too, and since there are so few football games compared to b-ball. The injury factor is a huge issue, though, and I totally understand. It sucks for the fans and the university.

I
    I know about Ja before too, but IIRC Murray State pulling off some impressive tournament games including an upset kind of moved the needle from top 5 pick to consensus number 2 behind Zion. He was just a recent example off the top of my head.

I think one kind of odd thing about the football season is that the transfers start as soon as regular season is over. We haven’t even had the bowl games or playoffs start yet and dozens of players have transferred to new teams.

In basketball, the players don’t transfer/enter draft till after the NCAA tournament.

Deity
    Notre Dame goes today with pretty much a whole new offense from what they finished the season with due to transfers, and sit outs. ND opens on the road next year too at A&M, so that will be a tough start to the season.
    Last edited by Old Red; 12-29-2023 at 10:08 AM.

The bowl games are not what they used to be. But N.D. sure looked good yesterday. Does that bode well for next season ? We will see.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The bowl games are not what they used to be. But N.D. sure looked good yesterday. Does that bode well for next season ? We will see.
    I don’t think you learn anything, and take into next year from yesterday’s game. It was 1 JV team against another JV team. Glad to see Angeli get a chance, and looked pretty good, but he’ll be back to the bench next year if he doesn’t transfer.

The Noles aren't exactly helping their case that they belong in the playoffs. Georgia may still be the best team in the country. Certainly better than Texas and Washington anyway.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Hard to know, if that game matters at all for 2024.

Love seeing ALA go down right away. Great game.

These past 2 days do seem to support ALA belonged over FSU.

I do think GA had a strong case to be in the final 4, and I said it back then. If it's about choosing the best 4 teams, I'm not sure how GA was not one, based only on the recency of their one loss before selection day.