Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox signing Wacha

All-Star
    “Wacha did finish the season strong & there could be something to build on there as it came w/a pitch mix change. He relied more on his FB/CH, ditched his cutter & started throwing his CB again. From 8/20 on: 39.1 innings, 3.20 era, 45 K:7 BB. Opponent slash line .193/.234/.331.”

@iancundall

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Bloom just dumpster diving like he always does .chaim Bloom has an open checkbook and clipping coupons for a billionaire. Bloom showing year over year he’s better served in Oakland .
    It’s November, calm down.

Michael Wacha flew so far under the radar that the righthander failed to gain even an honorable mention below MLB Trade Rumors' list of Top 50 free agents this offseason:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-rankings.html

Wacha might be a mirror image of lefthander Andrew Heaney, whom the Los Angeles Dodgers signed earlier this month for a reported $8.5 million.

Wacha and Heaney, who were born less than a month apart, were the 19th and ninth picks in the 2012 draft out of Texas A&M and Oklahoma State, respectively. In fact, Wacha and Heaney faced each other that year in Big 12 Conference action*:

https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/.../boxscore/4804

Since the start of the 2019 season Wacha has posted an ERA of 5.11 and ERA+ of 80 in 285.1 innings whlle Heaney has posted an ERA of 5.21 and ERA+ of 87 in 291.2 innings.

Heaney occupied the final slot on the MLBTR Top 50 free agent list but was unranked at The Athletic's Top 100 list where Wacha came in at No. 100. Neither Wacha nor Heaney made the Top 50 free agent list at FanGraphs:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-top-50-free-agents/

The Red Sox and Dodgers, two of baseball's more successful franchises, presumably had more and better information on Wacha and Heaney than the casual fan who is puzzled by each signing.

* falling deeper down that rabbit hole, the previous year Wacha and Texas A&M toppled current Seattle lefthander Marco Gonzales and Gonzaga in a game saved by the Aggies' Ross Stripling:

https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/.../boxscore/3363
    Last edited by harmony; 11-27-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Red Sox and Dodgers, two of baseball's more successful franchises, presumably had more and better information on Wacha and Heaney than the casual fan who is puzzled by each signing.
    Depth signings, 1 year contracts, some upside indicators. It's not that complicated when one gives it a little thought.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Depth signings, 1 year contracts, some upside indicators. It's not that complicated when one gives it a little thought.
    Upside indicators after 9 years in the league, and 30 yrs old with a 5+ ERA. He sucks plain, and simple, and a $7M contract to boot. 7 thousand should have been more like it. Not 7M.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Upside indicators after 9 years in the league, and 30 yrs old with a 5+ ERA. He sucks plain, and simple, and a $7M contract to boot. 7 thousand should have been more like it. Not 7M.
    I'd rather spend $7M on a 30-year-old veteran starter than $50M on someone pushing 40...

Wacha's biggest challenge will be leaving the ALE's resident genius skipper and having to pitch instead for a guy who wasn't even a finalist for Manager of the Year -- which, to be unfair, some pundits blame on something that happened before 2021 (like getting thrown under the bus by players seeking amnesty, or steering a club with a payroll top-heavy with debts to many ex-Red Sox).

Poke and hope. You poke around enough in the dumpster and you might find something good. It does sometimes happen . So , have hope.
    Old school is good school.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I must say, when I heard the news of this signing I thought I just had to head over to the talksox forum to read all the negative nancies. Ya’ll deliver….without failure.

I’ll admit this isn’t the sexiest move, but I trust Bloom knows more than we do. Wacha had a strong finish to a bad year, perhaps bloom sees something fixable. Regardless, this is a great depth move. Bloom took this team from awful to Championship contenders because he understands how good the 26th man on your roster is is very important.

As fans, we obsess over the top of a roster but guys who know what they’re doing like bloom are thinking about all 40 men.

Also, let’s remember that the Sox are not done, I suspect they’ll pick up another starter and a few relievers too.
    Well said, as always.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I'd rather spend $7M on a 30-year-old veteran starter than $50M on someone pushing 40...

Wacha's biggest challenge will be leaving the ALE's resident genius skipper and having to pitch instead for a guy who wasn't even a finalist for Manager of the Year -- which, to be unfair, some pundits blame on something that happened before 2021 (like getting thrown under the bus by players seeking amnesty, or steering a club with a payroll top-heavy with debts to many ex-Red Sox).
    I would rather spend $15M on E Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Poke and hope. You poke around enough in the dumpster and you might find something good. It does sometimes happen . So , have hope.
    $7M is an expensive pots, but I have faith in Bloom.
    Sox 4 Ever

I would rather spend $15M on E Rod.
    Me, too, even at 5 years $16.5M.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    If hang’em Chaim and crew can fix this guys mechanics, we may have something.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Me, too, even at 5 years $16.5M.
    For the next 5 years it may cost more to replace E Rod,and not just the money part.

For the next 5 years it may cost more to replace E Rod,and not just the money part.
    I agree, or we lose more.
    Sox 4 Ever

This guy is replacing Perez, not E-Rod.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.