Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox trade Hunter Renfroe in trade involving Jackie Bradley Jr

Red Sox trade Hunter Renfroe in trade involving Jackie Bradley Jr

Milwaukee Brewers
    @Brewers
    OF Hunter Renfroe has been acquired from Boston in exchange for OF Jackie Bradley Jr., INF David Hamilton and INF Alex Binelas.

And the Red Sox are taking back Bradley’s full salary. I am not getting this one. Last year, he wasn’t worth it, but when he is a year older, he is now worth it.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 12-02-2021 at 12:00 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I guess this means Kike is the full time 2B in 22.

And probably Iglesias will not be coming back unless Bogaerts is traded.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 12-02-2021 at 12:07 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Red Sox fans should expect the unexpected this offseason.

Someone please explain this. Trading a productive hitter for a guy who hit .163 last year?
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Someone please explain this. Trading a productive hitter for a guy who hit .163 last year?
    Defense? And to get a couple prospects?

I have wanted Bradley back, but I also wanted to keep Renfroe.

Maybe the plan is for JBJ to be Duran’s late inning defensive replacement?

Or maybe this was to move Kike to 2b and Verdugo to RF to open up LF for a much more exciting hitter. Schwarber? Kris Bryant? Nick Castellanos? Mike Conforto? Maybe an Oakland salary dump like Ramon Laureano?

Or maybe this was to move Kike to 2b and Verdugo to RF to open up LF for a much more exciting hitter. Schwarber? Kris Bryant? Nick Castellanos? Mike Conforto? Maybe an Oakland salary dump like Ramon Laureano?
    Kike's not playing 2B, except in a few games where JBJ matches up against a righty starter. But he may play LF, when JBJ moves to CF in late innings and a LF like Schwarber grabs some pine. Hopefully, Jackie can also mentor Duran how to play CF. Dugo is now the permanent RF.

Bloom needs to replace Hunter's production, but it's arguable the defense just got better. Renfroe had a cannon, but was below average on D (he'll be remembered in Boston for his hackey-sack play on Keirmaier's double).

But Bloom sold high, because this trade is really about getting two prospects from Milwaukee, with the Brewers insisting the Sox take Bradley's salary (similar to the Ottavino deal). I expect in-depth analysis on both minor leaguers -- here or elsewhere -- by the end of the day... there'll be time for full bios by the end of the lockout.

Binelas: 3rd round pick 2021, OPS’d 1000 in low A this year, 3b, start in Greenville
    Hamilton: 8th round pick 2019, 50+ SB in MiLB this year, SS, will start in Portland

I expect JBJ to play RF this year

Deity
    I guess this means Kike is the full time 2B in 22.

And probably Iglesias will not be coming back unless Bogaerts is traded.
    Doesn’t Bogey have a no trade?

Wtf! I hope these prospects turn out to be good or else the Sox got fleeced on this one. JbJ fucking blows. Even with his stellar defense HE WAS A MINUS 0.7 WAR PLAYER LAST YEAR. Bloom better have a plan to bring in a full time outfielder or else the lineup will have an automatic out with JBJ playing full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Doesn’t Bogey have a no trade?
    He’s not a 10/5 guy.

They likely sold high on Renfroe, maybe they're thinking JBJ can bounce back in that 2021 was an albatross. Remmeber, JBJ is just under contract for one more year, so again, they're throwing around money for one year so they're obviously content with going over the luxury tax limit.

JBJ for Renfroe straight up seems like a bit of a head-scratcher, but they did get two prospects in return, they effectively took on a bad contract for one year for prospects. But I don't think we evaluate this as Renfroe vs. JBJ because Renfroe started for us and I think JBJ is going to come back as a 4th outfielder or a platoon guy. Now this is just speculation, but if they go out and sign a guy like Suzuki and resign Schwarber this deal makes a whole lot more sense and I like it but on the surface, it appears to be a bit of a head-scratcher.

The two prospects in return were ranked 16th and 17th in Milwaukee's system. I'll reserve final judgment until I see the finished product for the 2022 season.

And the Red Sox are taking back Bradley’s full salary. I am not getting this one. Last year, he wasn’t worth it, but when he is a year older, he is now worth it.
    Or Kike is your CF/RF with JBJ in CF/RF and Verdugo moves over to left. Better defensive alignment, larger hole in your lineup, probably not worth it.....makes more sense if the Sox go out and sign someone to start in the outfield. Maybe this means they're going to make a serious run at Suziki? or perhaps Brant to play LF? The deal makes more sense if the Sox sign another bat to start in the outfield. Which......could be a while now.

I'm not sure Duran even makes the team in 2022. I think the Sox would rather him get every day playing time in AAA, they may think he can compete for a starting role in LF but I think they're going to sign another bat to play LF/RF. I don't think they traded Renfroe the starter for JBJ the starter. I think they traded Renfroe the starter for JBJ the 4th outfielder + prospects with an eye on signing another outfield bat. Pure speculation on my part, perhaps even want and desire......but it would make this deal make a whole lot more sense.