Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Will there be a 2022 season?

Will there be a 2022 season?

With 3 months until opening day, the lockout continues.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Doh View Post
    Yes, Virginia, there will be an MLB season.

The lockout is likely to continue well into January and possibly even February, but both sides stand to realize that a missed season is the worst possible outcome for everyone…

Close to 99% there will be games by May 1st.
    Sox 4 Ever

All-Star
    The only real leverage the players have is to threaten the season, I think no one wants a repeat of 1994 but it's not going to be real enough to get the owners to the bargaining table until that becomes a reality.

I think we hear nothing for 8-10 more weeks and then talks heat up and a deal gets done. Be prepared for a LONG winter.

It’s amazing how the people who profit lucratively from a sport that sells itself can manage to ruin the business end of things.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people donít buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Doh View Post
    Yes, lockout will end in Feb/March. Opening Day won't be impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    It’s amazing how the people who profit lucratively from a sport that sells itself can manage to ruin the business end of things.
    It's an ego thing. Most of the owners are financially independent from the MLB team and don't have to worry about that income. It's just a plaything.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    The only real leverage the players have is to threaten the season, I think no one wants a repeat of 1994 but it's not going to be real enough to get the owners to the bargaining table until that becomes a reality.

I think we hear nothing for 8-10 more weeks and then talks heat up and a deal gets done. Be prepared for a LONG winter.
    Players have not threatened the season though. The owners initiated the lockout. There was no reason for doing so. They could have written up a one page amendment that would have MLB continuing under the old CBA for a certain time until the new CBA is agreed upon.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

The owners are in a position to take the long view over the entire period of the CBA, where the players begin to hurt when their pay checks are not forthcoming. I doubt if the season begins on time with more of a May or June start after a protracted dispute period.

The top end players are doing incredibly well financially these days, its the new and marginal players that should be looking for concessions. Boosting the minimum salaries, finding ways around holding ready players back to delay arbitration eligibility are two things the union should pursue. Usually, when you bargain for something, you should be willing to cede some other point. The question will be how flexible will each side be in the negotiations.

Some on the site are blatantly anti-owner, but both sides are capable of helping to settle this for the good of the fans and the sport.

All I know is if I had a business , I would definitely not look to MLB as the model of how to run it. And I absolutely would not hire Rob Manfred.
    Old school is good school.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Players have not threatened the season though. The owners initiated the lockout. There was no reason for doing so. They could have written up a one page amendment that would have MLB continuing under the old CBA for a certain time until the new CBA is agreed upon.

And the lockout just seemed like a dumb maneuver to me, since they already had the upper hand and that would have continued under any slightly modified CBA..

And the lockout just seemed like a dumb maneuver to me, since they already had the upper hand and that would have continued under any slightly modified CBA..
    100 million percent.

There will be a season and it will start on time.

In the meantime, what a boring offseason.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There will be a season and it will start on time.

In the meantime, what a boring offseason.
    We haven’t had an exciting off-season in years…

We haven’t had an exciting off-season in years…
    "We" as in Sox fans, sure. However, I think some other teams have had some fun offseasons recently.