Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 104 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 1560

Thread: Will there be a 2022 season?

  1. #271
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,779
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    57 days to go until settlement of the "issues". MLBPA to present their offers . That will at least define the gap between owners and players union. Then they can begin negotiating.

    Having been to Fenway, Tropicana and Marlins stadium, I can say that one's historical, one's hysterical and one is across the freeway from an airport. Actually Tropicana does have good sight lines, and some interesting baseball museum type displays . Plus you can spread out, change seats etc since there are not a lot of folks around you.
    I was there for opening day for the infamous closer by committee season, where we blew a big lead late in the game. It was pretty full, that day, but yess, I was able to move around.

    I actually liked the stadium and atmosphere.

    There were no catwalk incidents that game.
    Sox 4 Ever

  2. #272
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    28,858
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    57 days to go until settlement of the "issues". MLBPA to present their offers . That will at least define the gap between owners and players union. Then they can begin negotiating.

    Having been to Fenway, Tropicana and Marlins stadium, I can say that one's historical, one's hysterical and one is across the freeway from an airport. Actually Tropicana does have good sight lines, and some interesting baseball museum type displays . Plus you can spread out, change seats etc since there are not a lot of folks around you.

    I was down in St. Pete a couple months ago and saw that Stadium for the first time. The way it gets talked about, I thought it was out in the middle of nowhere Florida. It’s right the highway!! I’m not saying that makes it ideal, but I do wonder what gives it the bad reputation…

  3. #273
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    28,858
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I was there for opening day for the infamous closer by committee season, where we blew a big lead late in the game. It was pretty full, that day, but yess, I was able to move around.

    I actually liked the stadium and atmosphere.

    There were no catwalk incidents that game.
    Nearly 20 years later, and we still call it “closer by committee” and not the more accurate and less exciting name “closer by Chad Fox.”…

  4. #274
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,779
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Nearly 20 years later, and we still call it “closer by committee” and not the more accurate and less exciting name “closer by Chad Fox.”…
    Something about Florida and "hanging chads!"
    Sox 4 Ever

  5. #275
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,779
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I was down in St. Pete a couple months ago and saw that Stadium for the first time. The way it gets talked about, I thought it was out in the middle of nowhere Florida. It’s right the highway!! I’m not saying that makes it ideal, but I do wonder what gives it the bad reputation…
    There is also more than 1 bridge to get to the stadium from Tampa.

    I'm not sure the "traffic situation" is any worse in Tamps than other stadium areas.
    Sox 4 Ever

  6. #276
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    50,971
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I was down in St. Pete a couple months ago and saw that Stadium for the first time. The way it gets talked about, I thought it was out in the middle of nowhere Florida. It’s right the highway!! I’m not saying that makes it ideal, but I do wonder what gives it the bad reputation…
    It's been explained above. Read for yourself, lazy.
    C'mon, do something...

  7. #277
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    35,971
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Nearly 20 years later, and we still call it “closer by committee” and not the more accurate and less exciting name “closer by Chad Fox.”…
    "Closer by committee" has the same kind of unfortunate ring as "bridge season". Very contagious.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  8. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It's been explained above. Read for yourself, lazy.
    EVERYTHING said on any sports board has been said and explained before (as has this assertion).
    I owe Bellhorn04 $100 (virtual), which I will pay off with two tix to a Seadogs game in 2021.

  9. #279
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    50,971
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    EVERYTHING said on any sports board has been said and explained before (as has this assertion).
    It is now my job to come up with an argument that has never been had on here before...
    C'mon, do something...

  10. #280
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,779
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It is now my job to come up with an argument that has never been had on here before...
    The 2022 MLB Work Stoppage was neither about work or a stoppage.

    Talk amongst yourselves...
    Sox 4 Ever

  11. #281
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    35,971
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It is now my job to come up with an argument that has never been had on here before...
    And now you've got all weekend to think about it.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  12. #282
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    50,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And now you've got all weekend to think about it.
    Get ready to do a deep dive on Carney Lansford, everybody.
    C'mon, do something...

  13. #283
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    50,971
    Going back over the past 9 decades, create the best Sox lineup without reusing a decade:

    20's Raffy 3B
    10's Papi DH
    00's Youk 1B
    90's Garciaparra SS
    80's Dewey RF
    70's Fisk C
    60's Smith CF
    50's Ted Williams LF
    40's Doerr 2B
    C'mon, do something...

  14. #284
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    28,858
    40s DiMaggio CF
    50s Jensen RF
    60s Yastrzemski LF
    70s Burleson SS
    80s Boggs 3b
    90s Pedroia 2b
    00s Varitek C
    10s Martinez DH
    20s Casas 1b

    I didn’t want to repeat any of your players.

    The 20s is a bit of a projection, I assume, given that the team has only played 220 games so far…
    Last edited by notin; 01-21-2022 at 04:50 PM.

  15. #285
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    54,779
    No repeats but back 10 decades...
    30's Foxx 1B
    40's Stephens SS
    50's Pesky 2B
    60's Petrocelli 3B
    70's Lynn CF
    80's Gedman C
    90's Mo Vaughn DH
    00's Manny LF
    10's Betts RF
    20's (Devers 1B if my 1930's pick not allowed or Devers 3B 20's and George Scott 1B in the 60's- no Rico)
    Sox 4 Ever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •