Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Red Sox SS of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    That must have been cool watching a Hall of Fame DP combo on a team that literally won the pennant on pitching and D.

As a disappointed 13-year old Red Sox fan, I only remember Aparicio for starting his Boston days in an 0-for-45 slump and then wiping out rounding third on what should've been an RBI-triple by Yaz in a big '72 showdown vs. Detroit.
    It's incredible the way we remember things like Aparicio's fall. I was listening to that game on the radio.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's incredible the way we remember things like Aparicio's fall. I was listening to that game on the radio.
    Right? I wasn't even a bitter fan yet...

I looked him up: voted starting All-Star shortstop by the fans in '71 and '72 (ok, name recognition maybe)... but Aparicio also got MVP votes from the writers in '72, behind only Fisk and Tiant among Red Sox.

Right? I wasn't even a bitter fan yet...

I looked him up: voted starting All-Star shortstop by the fans in '71 and '72 (ok, name recognition maybe)... but Aparicio also got MVP votes from the writers in '72, behind only Fisk and Tiant among Red Sox.
    He was a great fielder- back before metrics.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    That must have been cool watching a Hall of Fame DP combo on a team that literally won the pennant on pitching and D.

As a disappointed 13-year old Red Sox fan, I only remember Aparicio for starting his Boston days in an 0-for-45 slump and then wiping out rounding third on what should've been an RBI-triple by Yaz in a big '72 showdown vs. Detroit.
    I remember that 72 season. it was cool to have a chance to see some of the greats who played the game in different times.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I remember that 72 season. it was cool to have a chance to see some of the greats who played the game in different times.
    That 72 season was my first, as a Sox fan. I remember it well.

40 years!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That 72 season was my first, as a Sox fan. I remember it well.

40 years!
    72 wasn't my first Sox season, but it was my first Sox heartbreaker.

The first of many to come, unfortunately.

2004 was so overdue!

Mine too, but '74 was worse. In first place all summer, by as much as 7 games in late August. Then we went back to school all excited and September was like, What the Hell?

Mine too, but '74 was worse. In first place all summer, by as much as 7 games in late August. Then we went back to school all excited and September was like, What the Hell?
    That was hell, as was '78, but losing the season by a half game was unprecedented and extremely heartbreaking.

Those don't compare with being 9 years old in October 1986. Pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

74 was my first trip to Fenway, right in the middle of the slide.

I kinda lost touch with them from 1967 (WS loss) to 1975 (another one) so I missed that. Do not speak to me of Yaz's pop-up, nor of 1986, nor of the dozen straight Postseason losses after that ...
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    I still loved those early 60's teams. In 1966, we really could see that something new and fresh was coming our way. It was great baseball. The current number of teams and the likewise number that make the playoffs makes me believe that we would have had numerous other chances with some of those early 70's teams if the format had been different.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I still loved those early 60's teams. In 1966, we really could see that something new and fresh was coming our way. It was great baseball. The current number of teams and the likewise number that make the playoffs makes me believe that we would have had numerous other chances with some of those early 70's teams if the format had been different.
    Nice post.

Things might have been different had we just kept our core together. The Fisk fiasco was totally uncalled for and insane.

Trading Lynn, Burly, Carbo, Smith, Scott, Cooper, Lee and others and letting guys like Tiant walk really ruined the whole decade.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nice post.

Things might have been different had we just kept our core together. The Fisk fiasco was totally uncalled for and insane.

Trading Lynn, Burly, Carbo, Smith, Scott, Cooper, Lee and others and letting guys like Tiant walk really ruined the whole decade.
    Come on, everyone knows it was Nixon.

Students of the Seventies still bemoan the Sox' lack of a back-up catcher with a negative dWAR like Russ Nixon from the previous decade.