Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul O’Neill’s number to be retired

Paul O’Neill’s number to be retired

Bout time. That guy was part of that core that basically wouldn’t quit.
    Hal sucks

John Valentin had a greater fWAR with the Sox in less games than O'Neil did with the Yankees. I don't see the Sox retiring Valentin's number anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

John Valentin’s hands are mighty empty though

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    John Valentin’s hands are mighty empty though
    By that logic, the Yankees will be retiring Luis Sojo’s number next.

Make that numbers. He wore a few in the Bronx…

For the first six years in the Bronx, O’Neill was a .900OPS, middle of the order, “warrior” who routinely played 150 games a year. He was a major contributor to a team that won 4 titles and was on a World Series losing team in 2001. It makes sense to retire numbers of major contributors to dynastic teams, especially since there hasn’t been a dynasty since.

O’Neill’s WAR isn’t what it could have been because he was generally regarded by metrics as a poor fielder. His offense, though, was top notch

It'd be the same argument for Ellsbury to have his number retired in BOS. Doesn't make much sense to me. If you want a low bar for Yankees numbers to be retired, I don't have a problem with it. I just don't see O'Neill as a Yankee legend.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It'd be the same argument for Ellsbury to have his number retired in BOS. Doesn't make much sense to me. If you want a low bar for Yankees numbers to be retired, I don't have a problem with it. I just don't see O'Neill as a Yankee legend.
    O’Neill was much better than Ellsbury, but borderline for getting his number retired even with the Yankee’s low standards.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    The real curiosity is how O’Neill got his number retired and Hall of Famers Herb Pennock, Earle Combs and Joe Gordon don’t. Only Gordon spent less time on the Yankees than O’Neill, but that was because he missed two seasons to serve in Workd War II…

The real curiosity is how O’Neill got his number retired and Hall of Famers Herb Pennock, Earle Combs and Joe Gordon don’t. Only Gordon spent less time on the Yankees than O’Neill, but that was because he missed two seasons to serve in Workd War II…
    Combs' #1 was retired... for Billy Martin.

Deity
    Combs' #1 was retired... for Billy Martin.
    So instead they retired it for a lesser player that the owner fired multiple times?

So instead they retired it for a lesser player that the owner fired multiple times?
    Seems like it.

Deity
    Seems like it.
    Do they retire numbers based on talk show appearances and Miller Lite commercials over actual baseball?

Do they retire numbers based on talk show appearances and Miller Lite commercials over actual baseball?
    Tastes great...

O’Neill was great for 6 years through the beginnings of the dynasty and was good for the final 3 he was in NY. He was a middle of the order presence who rarely missed games and won 4 titles. It’s not surprising that a dynasty has a lot of retired numbers.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    O’Neill was great for 6 years through the beginnings of the dynasty and was good for the final 3 he was in NY. He was a middle of the order presence who rarely missed games and won 4 titles. It’s not surprising that a dynasty has a lot of retired numbers.

Combs was inducted into Cooperstown and won 3 WS rings in his 12 seasons in the Bronx.

Pennock won 3 WS rings in the Bronx and was also inducted into Cooperstown.

Gordon won 4 WS rings on the Yankees, won an MVP Award in NY, and was inducted into Cooperstown.

I’m not saying the Yankees retire too many numbers. I’m saying the Yankees retire the wrong ones sometimes. There’s no argument O’Neill was better and more deserving than these 3 players. Try to make one.

(And bringing up Gordon only playing 7 years in NY is an opportunity to mention his tenure in the Bronx was interrupted by his WWII service. O’Neill has no such equivalent.)